1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN Blog: Cowboys WR Kevin Ogletree hit with $7,500 fine

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 21, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,079 Messages
    5,593 Likes Received
    ByDavid Moore / Reporter
    dmoore@dallasnews.com | Bio

3:40 PM on Wed., Sep. 21, 2011 | Permalink
    Wide receiver Kevin Ogletree should make his second start Monday night against Washington.

Maybe that will make up for being lighter in the pocket.

The league has fined Ogletree $7,500 for his facemask penalty on cornerback Tarell Brown in the Cowboys win over San Francisco. After catching a pass from Jon Kitna in the third quarter, the receiver tried to pick up extra yardage with a stiff arm but wound up grabbing Brown's facemask.

Expect Ogletree to appeal the fine.

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/09/cowboys-wr-kevin-ogletree-hit.html
  2. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,070 Messages
    2,858 Likes Received
    I did not think that was worthy of a fine. Wow
  3. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,875 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    I dont get that. Hes not used to running with the ball and got hooked on the guy.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,473 Messages
    8,376 Likes Received
    That honestly has to be the lamest fine ever.
  5. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,634 Messages
    902 Likes Received
    Incredible.

I've seen dozens of facemask penalties much more egregious than that. And the league looked the other way.

What a joke.
  6. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,229 Messages
    1,169 Likes Received
    If the guy didn't have both hands inside of Ogletree's shoulder pads, it probably would not have ended up being a facemask and just a straight arm. Ogletree essentially got horse collared.
  7. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Hmmm, this one seems a little odd. Granted Ogletree held onto the face mask WAY longer than is ususal, but he never twisted or yanked the head with the facemask. It was a stupid move by Ogletree, but it certainly didn't seem malicious, or done in a way that threatened to really hurt the player.
  8. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He needs to learn face mask 101 from Jason Witten. Curl your fingers and push with the base of your hand.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,741 Messages
    2,417 Likes Received
    This is kind of off topic, but did any of you see his interview on DC.com? When he talks his lips barely move at all. A lip reader would go crazy trying to decipher him.

If he got into coaching he wouldn't have to hold stuff in front of his face to call plays.
  10. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He either had a swollen lip or it was full of tobacco.
  11. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,741 Messages
    2,417 Likes Received
    I agree. I never saw him spit.
  12. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,527 Messages
    1,135 Likes Received
    Wow.what a whack fine. I hope he fights it. Clear as day he was trying to stiff arm and fight for.extra yards he got his hand tangled and grabbed the mask. I am glad he is showing fight in his play. It tells me Garretts hand prints are all over this team.
  13. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Arian Foster paid 5K last year for the same thing and there wasn't even a flag thrown.

[youtube]rsraCxxdXCs[/youtube]

0:14 mark. He had a hold for about 1/3rd the time that Ogletree did.

Knowshon Moreno was flagged and fined last year for the same thing.....no highlight because it was a 2 yard loss.

Not sure why they were only fined 5K and O-Tree was fined 7.5K

I guess you could say the extent of the penalty warranted a bigger fine but who knows.
  14. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Relatively harsh fine for a minor infraction.

However, it was a stupid act by Ogletree. He knows it and has admitted as much. He should have just tried to outrun the guy up or across the field. Instead, he turns around which naturally slows you down, to try to stiff arm the guy. Chalk it up to inexperience I guess.

On a side note, I'm glad to see he's caught every pass thrown to him thus far. So pretty clutch catches at that.
  15. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Just a weird play...
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,070 Messages
    2,858 Likes Received
    [youtube]qsLxxb5HQLk[/youtube]

I'm sure if the NFL could do it they would fine this guy as well. :laugh2:
  17. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,638 Messages
    300 Likes Received
    The league is losing it.
  18. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

20,979 Messages
    988 Likes Received
    They should just start fining for every penalty, that'll show em.

Hell, they should fine for every incomplete pass, missed field goal and any play that results in a loss of yardage.
  19. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You mean this wasn't just another anti-Cowboy conspiracy by the NFL? O darn. I was sure they were picking on us again.

Sarcasm aside, while I had no problem with the inititial facemask because I agree with others that it was just a misguided attempt at a stiffarm, I didn't understand why Ogletree stayed with it so long. A ball carrier can often get away with a bit of a facemask as long as it is very brief, but to hang on and on and on and on seemed pretty stupid of Ogletree.
  20. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,879 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    I agree totally.