1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN Blog: Former Cowboys executive Jeff Ireland catching heat in Miami

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by cowboyjoe, Mar 19, 2012.

1. cowboyjoe

cowboyjoe Well-Known Member

28,104 Messages
    90 Likes Received
    Former Cowboys executive Jeff Ireland catching heat in Miami
    ByRainer Sabin / Reporter
    http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/a...tml?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
    rsabin@dallasnews.com | Bio

2:52 PM on Mon., Mar. 19, 2012 | Permalink
    While the Cowboys' front office has encountered few roadblocks navigating through a frenzied period of free agency, another organization supervised by one of their former executives hasn't been as fortunate.

The Miami Dolphins and general manager Jeff Ireland, who had served in various capacities with the Cowboys from 2001-2007, have run into one obstacle after another. A franchise that once was a paragon of stability when Don Shula was walking sidelines and Dan Marino was behind center now seems to be in a perpetual state of transition.
  2. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,375 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I wonder how long Ireland lasts in Miami?

Maybe until end of this coming season assuming they have a losing record.

In the meantime, Ireland has made millions for himself and will be able to ride off into the sunset.
  3. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,147 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    I hope he saved the money because I think he's finished in the league after this debacle mercifully ends.

The Dolphins are arguably the worst run franchise in the league right now.
  4. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,613 Messages
    2,497 Likes Received
    The moment Jeff Fisher showed reluctance to work with him i would have canned him. i would have canned him after the debacle with Dez came to light. you do not want a GM that free agents by default don't like or trust. Say what you will about Jerry but the players don't think hes going to stab them in the back.

Not many at least.
  5. Aikbach

Aikbach Well-Known Member

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    By "stability" they must've meant mediocirty, the Shula club hovered between 10-6 and 7-9 for the last 15 years of Shula's tenure.
  6. Aikbach

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Worse than Oakland and Kansas City?
  7. Aikbach

9,722 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    The person getting a free pass is Bill Parcells, he hired Ireland and he's in charge of personnel too.
  8. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received

He's not a very nice person nor is he very good at his job.

Sincerely,

Dez Bryant and his Mom
  9. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,116 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    most Cowboys fans have for Larry Lacewell is an everlasting lovefest compared to the hatred dolfans and media members ( particularly the radio sports talk shows ) have for Jeff Ireland.

And Jeff has no one else to blame but himself.
  10. Mash

Mash Active Member

4,062 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Great choice Big Bill

You stole money from the Phins....and left them in the hands of your hand picked GM

Now your resting comfortable at the horse races while you protege gets bashed by players and the media

What a fraud

JMHO :)
  11. Randy White

6,116 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    I would take Jeff back in a heartbeat as an assistant scouting coordinator under Tom Ciskowski. His eye for talent is excellent.

However, I wouldn't let him in the building when it came time to interview players, talk to agents, or come up with a plan on how to build a football team. The guy's social skills are right up there with Ted Kaczynski's ( unabomber ) and his idea of " big picture " is " going to the movies ".
  12. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,147 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    Most definitely.

I think those two teams are emerging from their own 'Dark Ages'.

I see no end in sight in Miami.
  13. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,920 Messages
    2,119 Likes Received
    I have no reason to doubt what you posted.

Just curious as to how you know this to be true, or what you based it on.
  14. Randy White

6,116 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Well, I'm basing it on his draft record and overall player acquisitions. The Dolphins have drafted and/or signed talented players, particularly on defense, under his watch:

Mike Pouncey
    Daniel Thomas
    Charles Clay
    Jared Odrick
    Koa Misi
    John Jerry
    Reshad Jones
    Vontae Davis
    Sean Smith
    Jake Long
    Phillip Merling
    Kendall Langford

He recognized and took a gamble on low end young linemen like Richie Incognito and Lydon Murtha who became solid contributors ( Murtha was scheduled to be the starting RT before he was lost for the season with a torn pectoral muscle ). Also, the Cowboys draft record while he was in Dallas is pretty solid.

His problem is that he's not a GM. He's a talent evaluator who's over his head as a GM. He should have never been put in that position to begin with. He's not a great communicator and/or recruiter. He's never had a plan or vision for the long term for the team. He's too inflexible in some areas and hasn't realized that he's not Bill Parcells, nor Parcell's tactic work any more. Being blunt worked in the 80's and 90's when there was very little free agency, but not anymore.
  15. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,126 Messages
    3,195 Likes Received
    In my opinion, Jeff Ireland is a great football guy. However, he is a lousy mouthpiece. In other words, can spot talent and find you good football players. Should not be your salesman trying to bring that talent to your football team.

I will never forget the sky falling all around us as Jerry let him go. People were clamoring for Jerry to step aside and let him be our GM. This is a football guy who rose through the ranks "the right way." Would have solved all our problems right?

http://cowboyszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108528
  16. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,920 Messages
    2,119 Likes Received
    Ok, sounds good.

Living her in South Florida and having been a Dolphins season ticket holder for 7 years (but no longer) I can say that the team has some real PR issues. Ireland is not well respected generally either.
  17. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,201 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    After the last few year in Dallas, 10-6 looks pretty good about now. 10-6 would have won the division last year.
  18. Randy White

6,116 Messages
    39 Likes Received

Oh, we're not going to be hearing much of that from the Jerry Jumpers..
  19. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,126 Messages
    3,195 Likes Received
    I know. I have another link that is even funnier.
  20. Randy White

6,116 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Damn, there are more SoFloridians in this board that I'd ever imagine..

I think you're being very polite with " not well respected ". One reason for global warming comes from the heat generated from Dolfans' hatred of Jeff and Ross.

Never thought I'd say this, but I feel bad for them. I actually miss hating on the Dullphins. Loved watching Marino throw for 400 yards and still end up on the wrong side of the scoreboard. It's not even fun listening to the stations down here because they all say the same thing.