1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN Blog: Garrett on T.O.: 'I certainly have a lot of respect for him as a player

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 19, 2009.

1. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,107 Messages
    312 Likes Received
    I'm not unhappy with Garrett's remark, and I'm not unhappy with anything TO has said either. I'm all for players or coaches speaking their minds 100% honestly. If these men can't take something then they need a new profession. If they don't like being called out then do something about it, prove whoever wrong and make them look silly.

Personally I want them both to stay and to fix things, whatever that takes. I definitely feel that Garrett has a lot more to work on than TO does.
  2. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

43,709 Messages
    422 Likes Received
    Turns out, you may be right. Another article rephrases the quote and it's much more innocuous.
  3. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

8,892 Messages
    868 Likes Received
    Or he may not.......
  4. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,245 Messages
    1,979 Likes Received
    I am sorry, but I dont give a dam if Garrett is upset with TO or not.

HE IS THE FREAKING OC AND ASST HC making $3 mill!!!

As a representative of team management, you dont make comments like "I respect him as a player and lets just leave it as that" about players on the roster.

This is not a dam social club or Boy Scouts here, there are no sleepovers happenning. Garrett is being paid $3 million a yr, which is more than alot of HCs make, to coordinate the offense and score as many points as possible.

That his dam job and making backhanded, cryptic comments that imply there is a problem between him and one of his offensive players is total bush league.

Grow some balls and handle the situation Garrett because if there is a rift between you and one of your WRs, then that is going to affect play calling, route running, and hinder our ability to score points.

As far as TO, he is the same TO he always has been. He wants the ball thrown to him and he wants the offense to be centered around him. TO has not changed, he is the same TO he always has been. If Garrett cant handle this or work it out with TO, then maybe we need to find an OC that can.

Rant over.
  5. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,419 Messages
    824 Likes Received
    Garrett is clearly not far enough along in his coaching career to be doing what he does. He just reeks of insecurity and given the personalities etc on this team thats a big problem.
  6. Beast_from_East

14,245 Messages
    1,979 Likes Received
    Garrett doesnt have the "skins on the wall" to be calling out players, he just doesnt.

Players are players and almost all players are going to blame coaching, scheme, play calling, ect.....to explain losing. Very few players call out other players as the reason for losing. We all know this and this is no secret.

Coaches learn not to take this stuff personally. Players throw coaches under the bus all the time, just look at what Portis said about Zorn.

Garrett is so inexperienced, he is starting to take the criticism by his players personally. This is a very, very, very, dangerous thing to do.
  7. FuzzyLumpkins

15,419 Messages
    824 Likes Received
    The reports that he couldn't control Romo in practice are really what bother me. this is just more stupid fluff but it does point to insecurity. It doesn't matter how smart you are if youre devoid of cajones youre not going to be able to lead.
  8. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

8,892 Messages
    868 Likes Received
    Garrett's comments were either incredibly immature, incredibly hamfisted or incredibly Machiavellian. Regardless, they are going to a real problem if TO and Garrett are going to have to coexist next season. :(
  9. ZB9

ZB9 New Member

1,024 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    if you mean cut Garrett loose....then I agree
  10. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    I have to agree. And I don't really think TO has "done" anything to warrant all the BS, but the PERCEPTION of it is enough to be a distraction.

Plus, TO isn't the player he once was. I don't think he's hurting the lockerroom, but as I said, the perception and especially the Moronic MEDIA making mountains out of molehills regarding TO is a distraction.

It's messed up how the media - through overblown TO stories - has hurt the cowboys lockerroom more then anything else the last 3 years.
  11. FuzzyLumpkins

15,419 Messages
    824 Likes Received
    I couldn't agree more. TO is still good but hes not as good as he was and he certainly isn't good enough to be being paid what he is.
  12. Beast_from_East

14,245 Messages
    1,979 Likes Received
    I have to disagree my friend.

For the production we are getting from TO, his contract is reasonable. Romo & TO have the most TD passes in the league between QB and WR tandems since Owens and Romo started playing together, so the production we are getting is in line with what other top WRs in the leage are making.

I do agree however that HIS PERFORMANCE should be the measuring stick to determine if to release him or not. Frankly, nobody has shown me any numbers that indicate a significant decrease in ability or talent for 2009.

Considering most of the "get rid of TO" threads dont even mention his performance or decrease in ablitliy, I would say most fans probably think his skill level is still the same or dam near close to the same it has been.

The #1 reason cited for releasing TO is chemistry and I have yet to hear anybody say specifically what TO did that is so awful that he has to be released for it.

Did TO violate the personal conduct policy.....NO

Did TO violate any team conduct policy......NO

Did TO get arrested for anything......NO

Did TO say anything that other players havent said...NO

So what has TO done that is so outrageos or detrimental to the team that he has to be released soley because of chemistry issues and not based on performance???
  13. FuzzyLumpkins

15,419 Messages
    824 Likes Received
    Statistics are important no question but Owens started having issues with being jammed at the line of scrimmage. At his size there is no excuse for that and he also doesn't consistently beat double teams anymore. I maintain he is a very good player but his skill are beginning to diminish and those two issues demonstrate that.

Also there is the age issue. You just don't pay 35 year old football players top dollar. Could he maintain his current production? Of course he could. At the same time his chance for injury at that age is increased dramatically and the fact of the matter is that aging at a position where speed is so key is problematic. Losing a step at the WR position is more problematic than any other positon this side of CB.

He deserves to be paid well. He does NOT deserve to be paid tops at his position.
  14. Beast_from_East

14,245 Messages
    1,979 Likes Received
    You make very good points, but if the team has decided that TO is too old and is losing a step..........then why did we give TO a new contract with a $12 mill signing bonus before the season started last year???

I think before I paid out $12 mill, I would evaluate the player and be dam sure I could get at least 2 good seasons out of him.

Why give a player that much signing bonus and then cut him only 1 year later???

That doesnt make sense and is very poor cap management............that is why I dont think TO gets released.

We shall see..........
  15. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,528 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    I hate to say this but I think we should take a page from the Giant's book circa the year of their improbable superbowl run except in reverse. Coughlin ran a complete totalitarian regime and when the players were on the verge of a full blown mutiny he eased up and became the kinder gentler Coughlin, very Wadish.

Day one Wade has to lay down the hammer to the coaches and the players. If this means demeaning them in the media, cutting a player, or using forceful language then so be it. He needs to send the message that in order for us to win this is necessary but after his explanation he needs to commence to putting his put in their collect rears nonstop.

It is amazing to me how much players say they want to be treated like men but most coaches who do so end up getting fired because the players whether subconsciously or knowingly run all over them. This is a classic case of the inmates running the asylum. Law needs to be reinstituted at all cost or next season we will be at the bottom of the league or worse in the middle of the pack.

The only problem would be does he has the stones to do so. I think he does because most coaches have that in them (most coaches are natural born liars and heartless). The first fire he needs to quell would be the TO/Romo/Garrett 3 alarm (its funny that the press constantly leaves Romo out of the equation but his comments were probably more damaging then TO’s). If he takes the pacifist approach then he deserves the fate that he gets, a first time mid season fire by Jerry Jones.
  16. fanfromvirginia

fanfromvirginia Inconceivable!

4,009 Messages
    163 Likes Received
    The problem with this analogy is that Coughlin needed to lighten up significantly after discipline and conditioning and training had already been established. Wade needs to toughen up remarkably in order to even have a chance at establishing proper training, conditioning and discipline.

It's a nice idea but I doubt it's going to happen. I think we're much more likely to get a couple big, important cuts, including TO, and then some mild tinkering with discipline.
  17. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Stackin and Processin, Well

8,551 Messages
    426 Likes Received
    Well if Roy Williams is worth 9 per, Owens is worth 18 - because at 36 he's still twice the receiver Keyshawn 2.0 is in his prime.
  18. shaketiller

shaketiller Member

704 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The Cowboys braintrust must attempt to salvage Romo. He is a relatively young and talented player. He has ability, and he has intangibles. But Romo also has a lot of Don Meredith in him. He needs discipline, and he needs to understand the more is expected from the QB, the guy who gets the big bucks. There must be a Come to Tom Landry meeting with Romo.

I'm even more convinced Owens needs to go. Maybe it isn't fair, but he isn't a relatively young QB. He is a wide receiver near the end of the string. It's a waste of time to expect a man in his middle thirties to change. Even if he were capable, the media scrutiny is such that he would be a persistent distraction. Get him out of there.

And for gosh sakes, please don't allow the personalities of strong, competitive players such as Barber and Crayton to be forever changed by what is occurring now. Take charge of this thing or kiss goodbye the positives of having put together a talented team.
  19. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,528 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    I disagree if handled correctly it could work.

Also, I don't understand the insistence of wanting to cut TO. He is still a very productive WR that if you cut will not be easily replaced.

WR(S) on other teams have shot at patrons and shot themselves but where is the ESPN outcry that they should be cut?

This is crazy. All TO does is tell the unfiltered truth yet we want to get rid of him. I could understand if his play is shot on the field but that is not the case.
  20. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,528 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    If it isn't fair then why do it?