1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN Blog: Hall of Fame stuff

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 6, 2006.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,229 Messages
    7,059 Likes Received
    Hall of Fame stuff

From Barry Horn:

•Entertainment at Troy Aikman's by-invitation-only post-ceremony party was provided by Pat Green

• At one moment in time, Norv Turner, Butch Davis and Dave Wannstedt huddled at the party, reminding that Jimmy Johnson's assistants haven't exactly starred as NFL coaches.

•I don't know what got into Nate Newton. I was standing there, minding my own business, when Nate Newton came over and delivered a man hug much as he did to Tim Cowlishaw earlier in the day.

•Ex-Cowboys at the Hall cereremony included (in no particular order): Mark Stepnoski, Charles Haley, Nate Newton, Jason Garrett, Babe Laufenberg, Daryl Johnston, Dale Hellestrae, Michael Irvin, Jay Novacek, who never took off his Cowboy hat, Emmitt Smith and Kevin Gogan. Coach Joe was there. So, too, was Larry Lacewell.

•When veteran Hall members were introduced, the biggest ovation went to Roger Staubach. There wasn't a close second.

•If you were surprised that Jimmy Johnson was a no-show, you haven't been paying attention to the way he operates. But don't read anything into it. Aikman spent a couple of days with Johnson recently at his home in the Florida Keys.

•Johnson wasn't alone. Aikman's other head coaches with the Cowboys -- Barry Switzer, Chan Gailey and Dave Campo -- appeared to be absent as well. But Terry Donahue, Aikman's coach at UCLA, was there.

•An addendum to the Cowlishaw rule that if you are over 30 you don't wear jerseys with players' names on them in public: If your waist line is over 40, you don't wear jerseys with players' names on them in public regardless of age.

•Sitting four-plus hours baking in the hot Ohio sun was uncomfortable. But the Raider fan who wore the gorilla mask throughout had to be more uncomfortable.

•Rayfield Wright's acceptance speech was so dynamic that NBC Sports boss Dick Ebersol asked if he was a preacher.

•Fox Sports boss Ed Goren was astounded by the sea of Aikman jerseys. He said he knew Aikman was popular but didn't realize the extent of his lead analyst's popularity. Maybe Aikman should file this and mention it the next time his Fox contract comes up.

Posted by Sports Desk [IMG] at 6:39 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (1)
  2. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,435 Messages
    1,939 Likes Received
    I wonder if soccer is Ed Goren's favorite sport... :rolleyes:
  3. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    it's just fun to be a cowboys fan this weekend:starspin