1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN Blog: Mike Jenkins on the secondary's woes: 'We know what the cancer is'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 13, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,182 Messages
    5,735 Likes Received
    ByRainer Sabin / Reporter
    rsabin@dallasnews.com | Bio

5:06 PM on Tue., Dec. 13, 2011 | Permalink

While failure by the Cowboys' secondary is not a new phenomenon, the recent collapse prompted questions. Was defensive coordinator Rob Ryan overwhelming the players with complicated schemes? Was the absence of an effective pass rush leading to breakdowns in coverage? Had the talent of the personnel been overestimated?

Cowboys cornerback Mike Jenkins pointed to another reason as he attempted to explain why there have been so many problems within his unit.

"Communication," he said. "We know what the cancer is. It's communication. If you look at the film, we're all not on the same page. We're all looking at each other with our heads chopped off. Once we get that together, we're going to be all right."

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/12/cowboys-cornerback-mike-jenkin-3.html
  2. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    You shouldn't have communication problems this late into the season... It's a talent problem more than anything. Alen Ball and Frank Walker should be on the street.
  3. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The two major busts in the secondary were killer in this game.

The Cowboys have a first round pick (Anthony Spencer) who is not the pass rusher they need opposite of Ware. Spencer's disappearing act was obvious in this last game.

Plus, I'd play zone coverage against Manning and rush four guys. It worked last year, and Dallas won. There was too much blitzing and man coverage in that game.
  4. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    they never had an offseason to put in the new scheme correctly....we should have expected alot of players to not be ready
  5. CooterBrown

CooterBrown Well-Known Member

1,617 Messages
    320 Likes Received

personally, I think the communication issue is there because Ryan uses all his players. I understand getting them all involved and keeping them fresh, but without a real off season to teach everyone the defense, frequent substitution leads to frequent miscommunication.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,629 Messages
    6,393 Likes Received
    There was too much blitzing two safeties and blowing a coverage for an easy 6. And killer holding penalties in the end zone and on Walker on the final NY drive that killed us. Throw in Ware's off sides, and those were basically three hidden turnovers that led directly or (in Walker's case) indirectly to 21 points.

If it's communication, fine. Fix it. But it begs the question why communication is worse in week 13 than it was earlier in the year. They're supposed to be getting better at this stuff, and not worse.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,629 Messages
    6,393 Likes Received
    Sounds like the players do believe the issue is communication. Hard to say what can be done about it, though, or whether or not understanding a problem they've been unable to solve is a good thing in this case.
  8. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,174 Messages
    236 Likes Received
    They had plenty of communication issues under Wade's scheme too so you can't really blame it completely on learning a new scheme. It's just about the players and coaches not improving upon their weakness.

Campo and Maxie were here for those issues in the past and they're still here. They're not the main culprit but they sure aren't making it any better. Getting rid of them would be the first step in the right direction.
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,324 Messages
    4,469 Likes Received
    :signmast:
    This.
  10. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,219 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    I say Bull. They had training camp and 13 weeks of football. Communication is a lame excuse this late in the season. It's the players, no different than last year when they said it was communication.

We need better players. Newman, Ball, Brooking, James, Walker, all need to be gone.
  11. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,450 Messages
    1,025 Likes Received
    Normally I'd say that this shouldn't be an issue late in the season.

But with a shortened offseason, no minicamps and such, and then with the revolving door thats been in that secondary due to injuries it's not hard to see how they're having issues.

I mean how many games has our actual starting secondary been in together for full games? It seems like only 4 or 5 all year and the rest 1 or 2 guys were in and out of the line up all the time.
  12. Bull Frog

Bull Frog Active Member

701 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    The Texans seem to communicate ok with their new coordinator with the same offseason as us.
  13. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,952 Messages
    4,300 Likes Received
    As others have noted, It is hard to lay all of this on the lack of a training camp because there were "communication" problems when wade was here. As someone else stated, other teams started new Defensive systems even going so far as switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 (texans) without training camp.

Oddly enough...it seems lack of training camp has not hurt Sean Lee as he seems to know what to do and other people's assignments as well.

Might just be an issue of some players not studying hard enough or maybe some players just don't have the ability to absorb and retain some things half as well as others.
  14. Zaxor

Zaxor Virtus Mille Scuta

8,398 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    So what happens is it like Elam yells at Scandrick "hey Scandrick" and OSCAN replies you can call me Orlando, or you can call me Lando, or you can call me...and somewhere in the background a "hike" is heard.
  15. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,380 Messages
    2,795 Likes Received
    Well, Mike, here's a chance for you to take up the leadership mantle and demand better communication in practice.

One player that I've noticed makes a lot of secondary calls based on what he sees is Scandrick. Scandrick has an ability to sniff out a screen pass seemingly before the snap.
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,281 Messages
    3,020 Likes Received
    I'm willing to accept Jenkins take on the issue now what are you going to do about it? Evidently this unit needs to stay after practice and come together in their communications. Whatever it takes to make improvement.

Like others I do think it is more than just communications but you can correct communication issues other issues will have to wait until the off season.

It may be in the teams interest for Ryan to scale back and simplify some of the calls to help this unit out
  17. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,279 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    And we wonder why.........
  18. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

11,032 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    One constant in the secondary during the Wade and Ryan administration:

[IMG]