1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN Blog: Newman, Colombo remember Texas Stadium

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 9, 2010.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,458 Messages
    3,286 Likes Received
    Terence Newman remembers Texas Stadium

[IMG] Posted at 3:02 PM on Fri., Apr. 9, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
    Todd Archer/Reporter [IMG] Bio | [IMG] E-mail | [IMG] News tips

Since so many of you enjoyed our postings of favorite Texas Stadium memories, I thought I'd look for some others that might make you happier.
    Step up Terence Newman:

"I guess it was the first time we played there. We opened up there against Atlanta [in 2003] and just putting on that uniform and running out in front of all the fans. We played some preseason games there but it seemed like it was different at the stadium. It was packed and when you're running out there there's so many different feelings and emotions running through your body. It's one of those things like when a kid gets his favorite toy or somebody hasn't seen a loved one in a long, long time then finally you see them. You get that joy and excitement, but then you get a little nervousness in there as well.

Also when we beat Indianapolis. They were undefeated and the atmosphere of that game and how big it was and everybody talking about Indy being the greatest team. A lot of people didn't expect us to win that game but we played well and we beat them. That atmosphere aad vibe, it was like a playoff game, like when we played New England and they were undefeated. Those two games stick out but the first one was probably the biggest.

The history. Everbody's seen Texas Stadium. The tradition of Tom Landry and all those guys that played, Roger Staubach, they helped build the foundation. It's part of our legacy to try to carry it one. That's like a huge thing for us.

I drove by it last night and it's going to be weird when I drive by and not to see it there. That thing's been there a long time. I haven't been here for that long of a time, but I've been here for awhile. Even though football games aren't being played there everybody still says, 'That's Texas Stadium. That's Texas Stadium.' It's like a local monument here I guess. It's America's Team. That's where it started, other than when they played at the Cotton Bowl, but there's where the real America's Team started."

Marc Colombo remembers Texas Stadium

[IMG] Posted at 4:56 PM on Fri., Apr. 9, 2010 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
    Todd Archer/Reporter [IMG] Bio | [IMG] E-mail | [IMG] News tips

A little earlier we gave you Terence Newman's memory of Texas Stadium. Now we give you Marc Colombo's recollections.

"We were playing Green Bay a few years back. We were in our throwback uniforms and I think us and Green Bay had the best record in the NFC. I remember going against [Aaron] Kampman and he was leading the NFL in sacks then so it was like a big day for me. On the second play I think I hurt my ankle bad and had to play the rest of the game hurt but I probably had the best game of my career and I had a bad ankle. That's probably my biggest memory as a Cowboy.

But overall stadium wise, the best part for me was coming out of the tunnel before games, the cheerleaders and the fire. And all you think about is the past people that played in the stadium and the tradition. It's just a big deal to step out on that field and be a starter. An amazing feeling.

It was definitely cool because being a Dallas Cowboy is the biggrest deal in football. There's not another team you can compare to the Dallas Cowboys. You want to go out there and play for the star on your helmet. That stadium was amazing. It's one of those great places. I equate it to Boston Garden. So many championships were won there. I was sad when they took it down because as a kid I would go up there and it's just one of those big stadiums ... It's not so much the stadium as it is the people that played there that made the stadium what it was. I was with the Bears the first time I went there and you walk in and you get the feeling of all the great teams in the early 90s and the 70s."
  2. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

great stuff.

I wish the current team, or parts of it would have sat down and talked about the place.

Some guys from each generation and highlight clips to go with it!!!
  3. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Nice to hear from my guy, the "old man" Terence Newman. Someone ask him if he is going to play with a cane this year. LOL

I love TNEW.

Colombo did have a great game that day. Indeed he did.