1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: BLOG: Terence Newman: 'We're going to be one of the top secondaries'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Cbz40, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Terence Newman: 'We're going to be one of the top secondaries'

[IMG] 5:14 PM Tue, Jun 09, 2009 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz
    Tim MacMahon/Blogger

Anthony Henry, Roy Williams, Keith Davis and Pacman Jones -- all guys who played significant roles in the Cowboys' defensive backfield last season -- are no longer on the Valley Ranch payroll. However, the secondary's headliner isn't worried.

"I think we're going to be one of the top secondaries out there," Terence Newman said. "We've got all the talent."

It'd certainly help if Newman stays healthy an entire season for the first time since 2006. It's no coincidence that the Cowboys' pass defense got remarkably better after Newman returned from sports hernia surgery last season.

But Newman, like his coaches, is awfully excited about the cornerbacks competing to start on the opposite side of the field from him.

The Cowboys clearly believe that '08 first-rounder Mike Jenkins and fifth-rounder Orlando Scandrick are upgrades over Henry, as evidenced by their willingness to ship Henry to Detroit instead of waiting for the Lions to cut Kitna. The statistical evidence indicates that the Cowboys are correct.

Scandrick was solid as a slot corner all last season. Jenkins' role was inconsisent during an up-and-down rookie year, but the consensus opinion from Cowboys folks is that he's primed to fulfill his first-round potential.

"Both of them are great athletes to start," Newman said. "They've both started working on technique heavily and you can tell. It pays.

"Jenkins was kind of rusty as far as a press corner. That's all he did. But there were certain technical errors that he made last season, and he's worked hard in the off-season to correct those. You can tell it when we watch the film and Campo is telling him great job and that's the way it's supposed to be done.

"Orlando, he was pretty good at press anyway. He's just working on technique as well, trying to protect our craft. Both of them have come a long ways."

The Cowboys ranked fifth in the NFL in passing defense last season (187.7 yards per game). They expect to be in that range again while coming up with a lot more than the eight picks they had last season.

They're confident that Jenkins and Scandrick are ready to play major roles in an elite secondary.
  2. Rampage

Rampage Benched

24,117 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    this is like the 3rd year in a row i've heard this. maybe they will be right this time and maybe Newman will be a part of it for the whole season.

Edit: morning cbz
  3. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    morning POPs!
  4. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received

Morning Mr Rampage...this is a bit early for you...:D
  5. Rampage

Rampage Benched

24,117 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I know cause it's still light outside lol
  6. Achozen

Achozen Sounds From The Lair

5,077 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    It's 3:36 in the afternoon.

:laugh2:
  7. SLATEmosphere

SLATEmosphere Benched

9,633 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I said the same thing and I got my head chewed off for it..
  8. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Good Morning Bob.......Been reading some of your post....Man, you are feisty today...then again you always are..:D
  9. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received

:laugh2:........................
  10. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,943 Messages
    719 Likes Received

Bullseye! And most of the time, its coming from the same guy, Newman.
  11. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,603 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    YAWN...

Talk is cheap. Show me.
  12. SLATEmosphere

SLATEmosphere Benched

9,633 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Leading the league in sacks,int's and #1 in pass coverage. Bookmark this please. I've never been more sure of anything Dallas Cowboy related.
  13. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,464 Messages
    907 Likes Received
    I don't want to hear anyone on this team tell me what we're "going to be," show me.
  14. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Yes indeed....
  15. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

13,341 Messages
    853 Likes Received
    You must be in that state we all hope falls into the ocean:D
  16. Rampage

Rampage Benched

24,117 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    oh geeze! now we're screwed
    [IMG]
  17. Bob Sacamano

Bob Sacamano Benched

57,073 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

I agree, Newman is starting to become Bradie James-circa 2006
  18. SLATEmosphere

SLATEmosphere Benched

9,633 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :laugh2: No, with the Cowboys I'm always right. I never make predictions as far as record wise, but I'm always spot on with stats. I bet my buddies we'd have a top ten defense last year. They laughed. I got 200$.I bet Romo would win MVP in 07. I lost. Only because Tom Brady and the Pats decided to have the best year ever. Romo went 13-3 and had 36 touchdowns and over 4000 yards. Very MVPesqu.

Romo WILL win MVP this year. Book it.
  19. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,464 Messages
    907 Likes Received
    Wow, you really went out on a limb on that one, you're amazing. Hey, I bet that by the end of the year our national debt will be within $10 trillion.
  20. SLATEmosphere

SLATEmosphere Benched

9,633 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Another hater to the list..welcome.