1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Brett Favre: I always dreamed of playing for the Dallas Cowboys

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Apr 13, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,087 Messages
    5,637 Likes Received
    By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
    jmachota@dallasnews.com

The four wins came against the Atlanta Falcons, San Francisco 49ers and twice against the division rival Detroit Lions. The losses? Well, they all came at the hands of the Dallas Cowboys. And all were played at Texas Stadium.

The Cowboys, who were favored by at least nine in each of those games, according to Pro-Football-Reference.com, won 27-17 in 1994, 35-9 in 1995 and 38-27 in 1996.

“I remember what the biggest issue was, we couldn’t get past Dallas,” Favre said Friday before a SMU Athletic Forum luncheon at the Hilton Anatole in Dallas. “Now, they were good. They were good. Each year we felt like we were gaining. But I always felt like, if we don’t get them at our place, we’re always going to be second fiddle.”

Favre completed 56 percent of his passes in those games, averaging 283 passing yards per contest and totaling five touchdowns and five interceptions.

The following season when Favre and the Packers went on to defeat the New England Patriots, 35-21, in Super Bowl XXXI, the Cowboys lost to the Carolina Panthers, 26-17, in the divisional round of the playoffs.

Although some of his teammates wanted their Super Bowl run to go through Dallas, Favre admitted that he was rooting for the Panthers to knock off the defending Super Bowl champs.

“I was thinking, ‘Please, please, beat them.’ I just had enough,” Favre said. “Other guys were saying, ‘I want them again.’ I’d had them enough. That was the biggest issue, we just couldn’t get past Dallas.

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...eamed-of-playing-for-the-dallas-cowboys.html/
  2. EightyEight

EightyEight Benched

45 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We have the poor mans Favre
  3. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,507 Messages
    6,255 Likes Received
    And we're lucky to have him.
  4. EightyEight

EightyEight Benched

45 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Still waiting on Drew Henson to come on myself :lmao2:

I'm a Romo fan myself I'm glad we got the guy.
  5. w8lifter

w8lifter Member

461 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    I agree, the Cowboys are very lucky to have him. I admit he had more than a few ' W T F ' plays in his career with the Cowboys. :huh:

However, he still gives us a good chance of winning most every time he takes the field.

:draw:
  6. w8lifter

w8lifter Member

461 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    On the original topic, I loved how we 'owned' Fartve and the Fudge Packers in the mid '90's.

Just like the Thanksgiving Day game when Troy was out and Jason Garrett was the starting QB. It was a shoot out, but we still pulled out a big 'W' in the end & Fartves Fudge Packers went home crying.

:cry:
  7. dogunwo

dogunwo Waves that make you sea-sick

5,526 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    :eek:
  8. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,941 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    Thanks Brett, we never dreamed of having you as a Cowboy.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,910 Likes Received
    Yeah I was at that game, went out to get a drink at halftime and Packer fans at the game were just giving me hell. Walking out of the stadium after the game was sweet. One of the best Thanksgiving games I have ever seen.
  10. Manster54

Manster54 Active Member

854 Messages
    51 Likes Received
    I bet he did want to be a Cowboy since his arse was owned by them year after year. :p:
  11. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,119 Messages
    2,910 Likes Received
    during those days my favorite battles was when Eric Williams and Reggie White battled. Williams owed Reggie, I never seen an OLineman beat up a defensive player they way Eric would beat on Reggie.
  12. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,116 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Aikman over Favre every time.
  13. REDVOLUTION

REDVOLUTION Return to Dominance

23,882 Messages
    698 Likes Received
    Wow. His dream was to be a Cowboy.

Instead, the Cowboys became his worst nightmare.

He was actually going into Cowboy games feeling/knowing he was "pre"-owned.... Going to lose.

:laugh2:
  14. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,039 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    If all the players who wanted to play for Dallas had actually played for Dallas, that would have been a super elite unstoppable dynasty.
  15. Vabeachboy

Vabeachboy Member

50 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah...until the playoff game against the Vikings a couple years ago...we certainly didn't own anybody that day...well except Romo owning the turf after every other play. I still have nightmares about that game after having just killed McFlabb and the Eagles two times in a row..I was sure we would have Favre's number again.. The whole games a big purple blur..almost like getten beat by a bunch of Barney the dinosaurs...I bet purple is Tony's most UN favorite color...
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,507 Messages
    6,255 Likes Received
    I watched that game in a hotel room in Vegas with a lifelong MINNY fan. It was the worst. And I lost $100 at the sports book.

Favre, throwing it in the red zone in the 4th quarter on 4th and whatever just about put me over the top. I told my buddy at that time that the Football Gods don't like that stuff. The next week was the bounty game in NOLA where Favre got absolutely battered. You don't tempt the Football Gods.
  17. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,071 Messages
    459 Likes Received
    Well the Cowboys were America's team when he was growing up especially in the deep South.
  18. Tenkamenin

Tenkamenin Well-Known Member

1,071 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    I'm glad we got Aikman, he was a competitor.
  19. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,592 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    Says no man who ever has to write such paychecks....:laugh2:
  20. SkinsandTerps

SkinsandTerps Redskins Forever

7,399 Messages
    19 Likes Received
    Anyone who wants him must not be considering his 5 TDs and 5 INTs in those games.

I would rather have Romo.