1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN - Carter call not difficult

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jacs, Aug 5, 2004.

1. jacs

jacs I'd Hit It

2,406 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    by Todd Archer

OXNARD, Calif. – The Cowboys had to waive Quincy Carter.

With news about him facing a fine for failing a drug test, the Cowboys had to know if Carter would make it through a season without facing NFL sanctions. It was impossible for them to be 100 percent sure.

It’s different for a quarterback. A team can lose a lineman or wide receiver and survive. A team can’t unexpectedly lose a quarterback and expect a smooth road.

The move was simply a fast-forward of what was likely to happen in the future. Carter had one year left on his contract after this season. Knowing he was one strike from a four-game suspension and two away from suspension for a season, the Cowboys could not give him a contract with a huge signing bonus even if he developed into a Pro Bowl quarterback.

It would have been too much of a financial risk for the team to take. They do not want to be put in a position of negativity when it comes to the salary cap. Let’s say Carter had a monster season and was looking for a new contract with a $10 million signing bonus.

The Cowboys could put all sorts of protection in the language of the deal to get the money back in case something happened to Carter, but the effects on the salary cap would leave them in a predicament.

It’s one of the reasons why Jerry Jones drafted Carter in the second round. He did not want to trade up for a top-five pick not absolutely knowing the player was worth it. The deals for Carter and Chad Hutchinson, who was released before training camp, were structured to keep the team out of salary-cap harm.

Now, that’s not to say Jones won’t pay anybody. He paid Troy Aikman quite handsomely. He will make the financial commitment necessary to keep a player. If Drew Henson becomes the player the Cowboys hope he can become, he will get paid. It’s that simple.

The best part of a bad situation is that it happened so early in training camp.

The Cowboys now have the time to adjust their offense to Vinny Testaverde’s skills. He is not as mobile as Carter, but he is difficult to sack. He can get the ball down the field better. He is more accurate.

He knows the system. He knows what Bill Parcells wants. More importantly, he knows what the coach does not want.

Are the Cowboys a better team without Carter? No. The backup situation is precarious because Tony Romo and Drew Henson are untested.

Can the Cowboys still be a playoff team? Absolutely. They just better protect Testaverde.
  2. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    that one of the bubble positions on this team will be that one rb who can pick up the blitz and provide consistent, reliable protection for Vinny this year. Our team now has to be structured so that we can keep our aging QB off IR and RBs busy controlling the clock.

I don't see alot of naked bootlegs being called early in the season unless BP has alot of confidence in his line and the TEs.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    Personally I don't think Vinny runs any greater risk than any other QB in the league. Every year there are more QB's who don't play all 16 games than the one who do. I would not be suprised if Vinny missed some time. However Vinny has no cronic problems like Troy had with his back in the late stages of his career or other older QB's who have played in the past, Vinny has kept his body in great shape you don't squat 600 pounds and be considered fragil.
  4. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,449 Messages
    3,014 Likes Received

If Key and Vinny can read and react to the blitz, that in itself will help out the protection problems.
  5. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,584 Messages
    342 Likes Received
    I somewhat agree with this. I think the real concern is the less serious injuries that are tough to avoid in a 16 game season take longer to heal for a 40 year old.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,057 Messages
    3,535 Likes Received
    Those things happen ask Vick, I don't think age has a thing to do with the major injury that all players face. If you blow out a knee well that can happen to a young player just as quick as it does an older player. Now if Vinny was coming to us with a pre-condition such as cronic back problems or cronic arm problems then I would of course be more worried but that is not the case. I see more athlete today who are still able to compete at high levels at an older age but the key is how they have taken care of their bodies. Vinny has been putting in that work according to what Parcells has said.