1. Like to discuss POLITICS? Come join us at PUNNDITS.com!
    If you like discussing politics and other related topics then your new home (hopefully) for doing just that can be found on Punndits.com! Come join us and help us grow Punndits into a wonderful and safe place to discuss politics with everyone.
    Dismiss Notice

News: DMN: Cash Cowboy: Inside LT Tyron Smith's battles with his family over money

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 17, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl U.N.I.T.Y Staff Member

73,284 Messages
    19,240 Likes Received
    SportsDayDFW.com
    Published: 16 May 2013 10:50 PM
    Updated: 17 May 2013 12:01 AM

For the first time, in an hour-long interview with The Dallas Morning News, Cowboys left tackle Tyron Smith opened up to share his cautionary tale about how money changes people and how greed can run rampant around NFL players who become instant millionaires. Smith’s story is a must-read for any college football player drafted last month. Here are some of the more stunning revelations from Smith's interview with DMN Cowboys beat writer Brandon George.

MORE, MORE, MORE
    Smith, the first offensive lineman selected in 2011 when the Cowboys drafted him ninth overall out of USC, signed a four-year, $12.5 million contract. He gave his family a substantial amount of money, agreeing to pay his parents in four installments. But Smith’s stepfather, Roy Pinkney, his mother, Frankie Pinkney, and some of his siblings kept coming back for more.

“There was a certain amount I agreed to give them, but it went way beyond that and I was just like, ‘I’m done,’” Smith said. “I feel like I shouldn’t have given them so much. There was nothing wrong with helping them out and making sure they were taken care of, but not something to where they live the same lifestyle as you.”

HARRASSMENT PROMPTS 911 CALL
    On the final weekend of October last year, while Smith was at the Cowboys’ team hotel preparing for a Sunday afternoon home game against the Giants, two of Smith’s sisters showed up from California unannounced at his North Dallas home, leading his girlfriend Leigh Costa to dial 911. According to a Dallas police report, the sisters were there to “harass and torment” him “in the pursuit of collecting financial gain.”
    And it wasn’t the first time some of Smith’s family had shown up in Dallas and left in fury.

PHYSICAL THREATS RESULT IN RESTRAINING ORDER
    Last October, John Schorsch — Smith’s Dallas-based attorney at the time — said Smith’s “mom and/or the stepdad threatened the physical well-being of Tyron and the life of his girlfriend.” Smith filed a protective order against his parents last summer to keep them from having any contact with him. The order also prohibits contact from Smith’s parents through his siblings.
    During training camp last year in Oxnard, Calif., one of Smith’s brothers whom he said he hadn’t talked to “in a long time” showed up and had to be removed from the facility.

Read the rest: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...mith-s-battles-with-his-family-over-money.ece

2. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

5,303 Messages
    2,133 Likes Received
    Your job as a parent is to raise your kids, if they become successful, they owe you nothing. You chose to have them.

Family of athletes kill me with their "i've earned that money mentality, they owe me".

Hope it all works out for Tyron, seems like a good guy.

3. Future

Future Intramural Legend

17,737 Messages
    2,841 Likes Received
    who on earth would physically threaten an NFL lineman?

4. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

11,460 Messages
    4,280 Likes Received
    I agree 100% with this.

5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

43,283 Messages
    24,910 Likes Received
    This story is just insane. His parents and family members should be ashamed of themselves.

I'd pay for a moderately-priced house and then setup a small trust that I controlled to provide a small monthly stipend to cover some expenses, and then otherwise completely wash my hands of any financial assistance to them. Keep the restraining orders in place during my playing career, and allow for a personal reconciliation afterwards if that were possible. And that reconciliation would have to come with a sincere personal apology for the emotional damage done by this nonsense.

6. burmafrd

burmafrd Benched

43,820 Messages
    3,379 Likes Received
    I feel for Smith. Seems like a great guy from all accounts with a POS family.

7. dogberry

dogberry Well-Known Member

2,838 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    I'm sure Smith's family is coming after us for money even if they get it from him.

8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

34,862 Messages
    4,186 Likes Received
    Is this coincidence or is he dating Phil's sister?

9. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

9,314 Messages
    4,149 Likes Received
    This is the first time I've EVER heard of anything like this. These people are a disgrace. This is why I always grade these 20-something athletes on a curve when it comes to their life-style and money. It all depends on the guidance they've been given and the people that surround them. I try to put myself in anothers shoes before voicing my opinion on the matter. Again, this is disgraceful.

10. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

5,315 Messages
    820 Likes Received
    When it involves large amounts of money, nothing surprise me, unfortunately.

11. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,254 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    Imagine trying to prepare for football everyday and having to be bothered with your own family distracting you. I feel for the kid, must be horrible to have your parents only worried about how much they are getting from your contract.