1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Cowboys Blog: Garrett expects Romo to be better than ever; Ware won't take pay cut

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Dec 30, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

32,626 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2014
  2. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,445 Messages
    653 Likes Received
    He may not want to take a pay cut but if he's so devoted as a Cowboy, maybe he should get used to the idea.
    DeMarco has been grossly overcompensated for years now, perhaps it high time to face reality and settle for less compensation and a fittingly more reasonable contract. He's been great but his decline is undeniable.
  3. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,219 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    I do not expect Tony to be better than ever & They have a hard decision to make on Ware.
    pjtoadie likes this.
  4. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Well-Known Member

7,658 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    If he doesn't want to take a cut, that's his way of saying he wants out of Dallas. I don't blame him
  5. NextGenBoys

NextGenBoys Well-Known Member

7,658 Messages
    77 Likes Received
    I think it's easy. Let him go. His body is breaking down
  6. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

6,219 Messages
    2,014 Likes Received
    I agree he's breaking down but I'm torn about what to do. Well I say that like it's my choice which is nonsense but they may say bye & that's ok.
  7. blackbull

blackbull Well-Known Member

1,284 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    Better than ever. That's why I can't stand Garrett. Just **** the hell up with the hyperbole
    pjtoadie likes this.
  8. gmoney112

gmoney112 Well-Known Member

3,378 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    I think our RB is still on his rookie contract. ;)

As far as Ware, I think his agent is trying to use leverage as weak as we are on the d-line.

Everyone knows Ware won't make 1/2 of what he's making this season in FA. Take a paycut and stay or test FA and be ready for disappointment.

It's a business. Know your role or get to walkin.'
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,552 Messages
    1,813 Likes Received
    Its time to move on from Ware, even if he was willing to take less money.
    Hook'em#11 likes this.
  10. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,609 Messages
    2,485 Likes Received
    the link doesn't take you to the article nor is the article on that page.

Countering the ware claim is this article and quote

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4722453/demarcus-ware-would-take-a-pay-cut
  11. FuzzyLumpkins

16,609 Messages
    2,485 Likes Received
    nm I found it

12. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,111 Messages
    1,960 Likes Received
    I agree with this. When it all boils down to it - you need a player that can play, especially at this position. Let's say he DOES take a pay cut and the results on the field remain the same (poor) - tell me - what good is that??
    PA Cowboy Fan likes this.
  13. TTexasTT

TTexasTT Well-Known Member

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    This team is in no postition to cut Ware. He had a bad year... He was injured, it happens. Even the idea of cutting him is laughable.
    He may not have his best years ahead of him but its not uncommon for guys at this postition to have some of their best seasons at ages older that Demarcus. Its not like there are better option out there. I didnt really like seeing guys being hired out of Taco Bell to come start on the defensive line. Even a 75% Ware is better than most of the players in the NFL.
  14. FuzzyLumpkins

16,609 Messages
    2,485 Likes Received
    Deriding the idea is fun and all but Ware is still scheduled to make $12m next year.

The last two seasons, Ware has aggravated the neck injury and robbed him of his ability to play football. I have not seen any of his scans, talked to him or otherwise, but to me that says in all likelihood, he will reinjure it again. Two years running from an injury he suffered 3 years ago.....

I would prefer we get out in front of that and not make a decision based on sentiment. I love Demarcus Ware, own his jersey and he is my favorite Cowboys because he has been the best Cowboys player of the past decade. Past is the operative word.

Best case scenario for me would be he take a pay cut and a reduced role. Use him like Jimmy Johnson used Jeffcoat but even then I doubt his ability to play 25 snaps a game.
  15. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

1,945 Messages
    1,380 Likes Received
    Holding on to aging players that can't play at a high level anymore is no way to build a team. It's time to say goodbye to Ware and Austin.
  16. TTexasTT

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    You havent seen his scans? Are you a radiologist, spine surgeon or neurologist? (that wasnt being sarcastic) Ive worked in the medical field for some time and would be lost looking at most any imaging.
    TBH when you say "in all likelihood, he would injury again" there is no way whatsoever he would be cleared for contact. Also, you said that he suffered this injury 3 years ago. Yet, this year is the only year that could be a bad year. Id say that he is far more likely to bouce back than to repeat those same stats. Is he making too much money? Yeah probably so, unless he posts absurd numbers... oh well. With Hatcher and Spencer gone he needs to be there.
  17. FuzzyLumpkins

16,609 Messages
    2,485 Likes Received
    My saying that was to indicate that all I am doing is guessing. I am a firm believer in the notion that past events are the best indicators of future events. He was carted off the field two years ago and the past two years he has reinjured in the Fall. I cannot quantify the risk and a doctor could easily convince me otherwise but avoiding reoccurring back injuries for linemen seems a good rule of thumb.

At $12m he is amongst the highest paid non-QBs in the league. It's just risk management and it's smart business. We do see significant cap savings this year and forward and $12m is quite the premium to pay for that level of risk. It's a recurring neck injury and he is playing the DL.

With the amount of money we saved, we could resign Spencer, Hatcher, any of the young guys needing resigning, etc.

If you want to keep Ware, I can certainly understand but you cannot just dismiss that there are sensible reasons to cut him that benefit the team or that there is a significant probability that the same injury will reoccur a fourth year in a row.
  18. TTexasTT

1,926 Messages
    737 Likes Received
    Gotcha. That all makes sense but Id think that Spencers mircofracture is probably more serious so I wouldnt mind him leaving as much. Hatcher is probably going to command some serious money.
    Im actually dont mind JJ and his loyalty to the older guys when it comes to Ware, because like you Ive been a huge Ware fan. Id rather see him overpaid than anyone else.
    I have no problem seeing him have a great year or even two. I look at players like Mathis who increased his sack number for 8 to 19.5 and being older than Demarcus. Same with watching the Broncos games Shaun Phillips had a 3 sacks (Im aware sacks arent the be all stat, but its a solid indicator) two years ago after turning 30. Neither of those guys could carry Wares jock strap.
    All that being said, I guess we are just going to be in a wait and see type situation. Its going to be interesting to say the least.

Whatever happens I just hope the defensive line makes major strides.
  19. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,532 Messages
    214 Likes Received
    I agree with this, the main point is going to be how much wuill he cost to play this year. He is not going to make his current salary, so the question is how much will he cost Dallas to remain on the team.
  20. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,997 Messages
    2,024 Likes Received
    Ware is making a business decision. Dallas needs to do the same. If he regains form fine. But in todays game you cant justify paying any player other then a QB 16 mil a yr. Especially a defensive player with the rules the NFL has pushed.