1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: Cowboys coach Jason Garrett dishes on free-agent acquisitions, changes on defense and new play

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Apr 13, 2014.

1. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,439 Messages
    410 Likes Received
    Oh, Garrett is excited about Mincey and McClain? I feel so much better about the DL now.
    Chocolate Lab and visionary like this.
  2. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,596 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    I'm not a huge Melton fan (220lbs with my pockets empty) but he is one of those interesting players that you wanna see break into the secondary against the giants and watch their safeties crack their collarbones and dislocate their fingers trying to get him down. Plus I found an old article with some of his old tweets that sounded pretty funny.
    [IMG]
  3. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

2,996 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    I stand by my assessment that adding 2 scrubs and a player recently coming off a torn ACL does very little to improve the 3rd worst NFL defense of all time. Let's wait and see what the draft offers up. I hope they focus on both the defensive and offensive lines early in the draft as that's where championship teams are built.
    visionary likes this.
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,424 Messages
    3,709 Likes Received
    Nope. We have the worst DL in NFL history. Ever. I read it here first.
  5. 4lifecowboy

4lifecowboy Active Member

819 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    Never did I state that we didn't need more lineman, defensive or offensive. I just stated the addition of DL in free agency has made the need to draft DL exclusively in the first few rounds less of a priority. To ignore good players at other positions because we have a perceived "need" is the philosophy that keeps us in mediocrity. That's "Jerry'esque"
    jobberone likes this.
  6. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

11,616 Messages
    4,168 Likes Received
    I think they are just taking a free look at Weeden to see if he can replace Orton which was be a net savings of 2.75M.
  7. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

1,659 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    4life here if I may, i must disagree. Our defensive line was as bad as were the offensive line was two years before .
    We must rebuild almost from scratch. Three defensive lineman at least. Early,middle and late.
  8. waving monkey

1,659 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    This is an exceptional year where need trumps value.
  9. skinsscalper

skinsscalper Well-Known Member

5,303 Messages
    282 Likes Received

Which, if what was rumored as Orton wanting to retire is true, I think would suit Orton just fine. He doesn't have to "retire" and pay back any bonus money and he gets what (emphasis on rumored) he wanted in the first place.
    jobberone likes this.
  10. xwalker

11,616 Messages
    4,168 Likes Received
    They had 2 problems last season.

1. Lack of talent due to replacing injured starters with street free agents.

2. Lack of cohesion from too many new players that were not in training camp coupled with a new scheme for everyone on defense.

Even if they only marginally upgrade the talent, solving issue 2 is very important. They need to play with the players that are on the team in the off-season and during training camp.
    jobberone likes this.
  11. xwalker

11,616 Messages
    4,168 Likes Received
    Good point.
  12. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,409 Messages
    2,133 Likes Received
    A 31 yr old developmental QB.....................LMAO
  13. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,409 Messages
    2,133 Likes Received
    I am so relieved that the guy who has never coached one down of defense in his entire life is going to be telling Marinelli how to "play better defense".

LMAO...............sorry, hard to get a straight face reading how our offensive guru is going to be spending all his time with the defense "in training camp, in preseason, and in the regular season" because we have to play better defense!!!

Apparently Garrett doesn't think Marinelli can get the job done without his oversight and mentoring............"Hey Rod, I don't think that blitz package is designed right, let me draw it up for you"
    ConstantReboot and Chocolate Lab like this.
  14. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,069 Messages
    2,502 Likes Received
    Preposterous! This is the worst free agency acquisition period in the history of professional athletics!!!!
    skinsscalper likes this.
  15. 4lifecowboy

4lifecowboy Active Member

819 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    There is no such year, needs should never trump value. Good drafting is finding good value.
    theSHOW likes this.
  16. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,753 Messages
    2,512 Likes Received
    I give McClain and Mincey a big ?.

I don't consider either guy a quality starter nor the equivalent of type of lineman the Cowboys trotted out there last outside of Hatcher, Ware and to a lesser extent Selvie.

I would be thrilled if Mincie could play 300 snaps this year and contribute 4 sacks.

If McClain could play 400 snaps as a #1 technique DT and contribute a couple sacks and 10 pressures he would be a welcome addition.
  17. waving monkey

1,659 Messages
    584 Likes Received
    we differ
  18. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,207 Messages
    530 Likes Received
    oh stop it, they proved they were the worst, they havent even proven they are decent with the new signings. I know year to year you think a wand is waved and magically the team gets better. Well if last year didnt teach you, nothing will. But for the heck of it, lets just try the ol "wait and see approach " before even thinking of mocking people who dont drink the kool aid.
  19. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,424 Messages
    3,709 Likes Received
    Well, it wasn't mocking because I believe what he said. Perhaps I should have included the rolled eyes thingy next time.
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,878 Messages
    2,123 Likes Received
    I feel better that they will be with Marinelli who showed even with a lack of talent he could get them to play hard. I think Marinelli will get the best out of Mincey and McClain while neither are stars they can be solid addition to the defense
    waving monkey likes this.