1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: Cowboys expect second-year safety J.J. Wilcox to start - for now

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Jun 9, 2014.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

40,888 Messages
    5,349 Likes Received
    Cowboys expect second-year safety J.J. Wilcox to start – for now
    bgeorge@dallasnews.com

Published: 08 June 2014 07:45 PM

[IMG]

IRVING – J.J. Wilcox’s résumé as a safety doesn’t really inspire.

The second-year Cowboys player was a receiver at Georgia Southern who moved to safety for his senior season before Dallas made him a third-round draft pick last year.

As an NFL rookie, Wilcox finished with only 38 tackles and one pass breakup.

But the Cowboys have seen enough from Wilcox — especially early in training camp last year — to feel comfortable this offseason penciling him in as the starter alongside safety Barry Church.

Quick warning: Pencil marks can easily be erased.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...year-safety-j.j.-wilcox-to-start--for-now.ece

Related

2. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

3,008 Messages
    549 Likes Received
    Looking forward to seeing what he can do.
  3. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,734 Messages
    758 Likes Received
    It's evident to the Cowboys' staff that Wilcox has great natural ability to make the adjustment from college receiver to safety and once again to free safety in the professional ranks. It's largely an act of faith at this point in time, of course, due to the fact that Wilcox's resume isn't one that clearly identifies him as a "safe bet" to succeed in the pro ranks. Let's hope the staff has been identifying his qualifications in the proper light of day. He's sure to be sorely tested in the weeks and months to come. I'll be anxiously awaiting some encouraging results in training camp and beyond. Here's hoping they'll be forthcoming. A breakout year from him would be a blessing.
    jday and pancakeman like this.
  4. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

4,388 Messages
    2,166 Likes Received
    Same here.
  5. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,798 Messages
    1,359 Likes Received
    I am very optimistic about Wilcox. He and Lawrence are the 2 main guys I want to see and can be crucial pieces if they pan out
    BigStar likes this.
  6. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

8,000 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    He played RB in college before switching to S.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

16,223 Messages
    7,493 Likes Received
    Wilcox (6-foot-0, 215 pounds) spent his first three seasons with the Eagles on offense, mainly as a slot receiver. During that time, he rushed 137 times for 964 yards - a nifty 7 yards per carry average - and 13 touchdowns. He caught 45 passes for 898 yards and four scores. But this season, he was switched to the Georgia Southern secondary, where he's made 84 tackles and intercepted two passes. He's also returned kickoffs for an average of 25.5 yards on 30 attempts. - Mark Inabinett, Alabama Live
  8. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    So he mainly plaid slot receiver, yet somehow he rushed 137 times and only caught 45 passes. Interesting. I could understand the hope for this kid, but I do not understand blind faith in ANY position and wish we did more to add competition at the safety spot. I think it is funny on here how people rate 3rd and 4th rounders as if they are worlds apart. I hear that it is crazy to think we could ever get a starting quality player in the 4th, but don't you dare draft another safety when we just spend a 3rd rounder on Wilcox!
  9. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

8,000 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    Wilcox was mostly a running back at Georgia Southern, playing safety only his senior season. The Dallas coaches, however, saw him make a quick transition to the position and were primed to rely on him as a rookie. After hurting his knee, Wilcox could not unseat Jeff Heath as the starter opposite Barry Church, but saw his playing time increase down the stretch.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/...as-cowboys&id=4727958&city=dallas&src=desktop
  10. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

8,000 Messages
    929 Likes Received
  11. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

8,000 Messages
    929 Likes Received
  12. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,863 Messages
    592 Likes Received
    Love that picture..they both look lean
  13. xwalker

16,223 Messages
    7,493 Likes Received
    Did you read my post? The stats were in it.

He was obviously more RB than WR with 138 runs vs 45 catches; however, he did have a high ratio of receptions per rush attempt for a RB which would indicate that he did play some at WR.
  14. xwalker

16,223 Messages
    7,493 Likes Received
    I would say he played more RB than WR based on the stats.
  15. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,121 Messages
    894 Likes Received
    exactly, surprised the post said he was mainly a slot guy. regardless, I just hope he can play safety.
  16. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Georgia Southern still runs that triple option flexbone where the halfbacks often set up as wingbacks and then motion around to become the pitch man on triple options to the opposite side. The reason teams back in the day went to that instead of the straight wishbone with the halfbacks behind the guards is to offer more versatility and threat of a passing game to the defense, because you can easily get those backs out into patterns. I'm betting that's why he has so many receptions but was listed as a RB.
  17. RonSpringsdaman20

RonSpringsdaman20 alpha seeing omega Zone Supporter

4,364 Messages
    1,641 Likes Received
    what a boost if J.J. tuns out to be the truth.
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,863 Messages
    2,416 Likes Received
    So Wilcox was a Running Receiver?

Or was he a Wide Back?
  19. TrailBlazer

TrailBlazer Well-Known Member

3,041 Messages
    1,104 Likes Received
    I'm sure JJ was Ga Southern's best athlete and they wanted him to get touches offensively. Eventually they realized his best bet of an NFL future was at safety so they switched him over there his senior year.