1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Cowboys must re-sign Laurent Robinson, Anthony Spencer during the offseason

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Dec 23, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,242 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    Moore: Cowboys must re-sign Laurent Robinson, Anthony Spencer during the offseason

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...nson-anthony-spencer-during-the-offseason.ece

Who should be the Cowboys' No. 1 priority to re-sign this season?

Linebacker Anthony Spencer and wide receiver Laurent Robinson top the list. Spencer is a good, solid player, but based on his production I don't know how high the Cowboys will be willing to go. If he gets a big offer from another team, I believe the Cowboys will be reluctant to match.

Robinson has proven to be the ideal third receiver and has quickly developed a rapport with Tony Romo. The club will work to get him under contract as soon as they can once the season is over...
  2. Cowboys22

Cowboys22 Well-Known Member

3,665 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    Give Robinson some of Spencer's money to ensure you get him. Offer Spencer whatever is left and tell him to take it or leave it. Personally, I'd rather move on with Butler, Albright, a mid-range free agent who is good in run support, and a rookie drafted in the 2nd or 3rd round of this draft coming up. Spencer is just another guy that makes the occasional play but is nowhere to be found when you're up by 3 points with 4 minutes to go.
  3. risco

risco Member

370 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Spencer- For what?
  4. pugilist

pugilist dwarecwby311

2,700 Messages
    800 Likes Received
    and conversely, based on his 2011 production what makes anyone think that other teams would offer Spencer a big contract?
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,585 Messages
    5,498 Likes Received
    I hate when players like Spencer don't step up and put us in this position.
  6. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,685 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    I'm constantly amazed by the thought that Butler can take Spencer's place. Spencer plays the SOLB spot, and Butler just doesn't make the grade there. Butler plays backup to Ware and Spencer for a reason. He is third best at that position.
  7. luvtheboys

luvtheboys Active Member Zone Supporter

485 Messages
    57 Likes Received
    Does the name Dan Snyder ring a bell?
  8. pugilist

pugilist dwarecwby311

2,700 Messages
    800 Likes Received
    sorry, i thought we were talking about competent and intelligent owners / GMs :D
  9. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,400 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    I dont think Robinson is going to go anywhere. The guy has bounced around the league for a while now and finally found a home and a QB he clicks with. Maybe I am naive but I think he is smart enough to get that fact and will look to build on this season.
  10. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,385 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    Anthony spencer sucks. Don't know how we will ever be able to replace his 4 sacks a year. Hit the road spencer.
  11. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I like Spencer, and for the right price I say resign him. If some team offers him the world, let him walk.
  12. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

23,904 Messages
    1,369 Likes Received
    They won't be a factor. They're set at their OLB spots and will have no use for Spencer.

Exactly how i feel about it.
  13. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    If you resign Spencer you have to do it with honesty and sobriety. Don't convince yourself he could blossom. Don't convince yourself he's got ceiling he hasn't reached. He is what he is ... a 4-6 sack OLB who is decent against the run. Evaluate him as such and decide what you're going to pay for that. If someone has convinced themselves he's more than that and willing to pay him more accordingly, let him walk. Don't pull another stupid Marcus Spears signing. But if you're willing to settle for that from one of your OLB spots, you better get some major upgrades elsewhere on the Front 7 ... and I'm not talking about a fat tub of goo nosetackle, I'm talking about a pressure player.
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,869 Messages
    7,589 Likes Received
    You think resigning Spears was a mistake? (Agree on Spencer, btw).
  15. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Resigning Spencer isn't a must. If the price is right then sure we should resign him, but is it a must? Absolutely not.
  16. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,080 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    We need that anyways our DL is average on a good day, i'm not sold on Carter at all so we need some insurance at MLB to cause neither James nor Brooking will be back. A slight upgrade at OLB would not make a whole lot of difference unless you also upgrade these other spots and if you do upgrade those other spots then Spencer would be far more productive rushing the passer.

His outside rush is pretty good but with no push up the middle by our DL the QB just has to step up to avoid it which is exactly what we see time and time again and they make it look so easy. If did get some push up the middle then Spencer's outside rush would get to the QB a lot more. He doesn't seem to have much of a inside move which is why as a pass rusher with little push from the DL he's so unproductive.

Spencer is solid but his biggest weakness get multiplied when we don't get a push from the DL. I'd rather that be a priority in the offseason then replacing Spencer. Both Spencer and Ware would be far more productive if we did spent our resources on improving the DL, we'd improve the front 7 as a whole. On the flip side there's no guarantee who ever we replace Spencer with is going to do any better, that's why i'm so against letting him walk. We risk having the exact same problems again next year and be out a high draft pick
  17. Bigdog

Bigdog Well-Known Member

1,590 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Spencer is what he is; a solid but not star player. The scouts knew this when he came out. The book on him was that he lacked explosiveness but was solid in the run and passing game. I don't know why we thought he would be better than that. He is exactly how the scouts described him and his production shows it. Pay him what he is worth and if some team wants to pay him more, let them.
  18. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,585 Messages
    5,498 Likes Received
    Seems to be the general conclusion.

:rake:
  19. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,152 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    Even if we re-sign Spencer, that doesn't preclude drafting another OLB at the BPA.
  20. realtick

realtick Benched

6,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Winner!