1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Cowboys pay tribute to Landry, run 4-3 Flex on first play

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Arch Stanton, Aug 12, 2011.

1. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Cowboys pay tribute to Landry, run 4-3 Flex on first play

<SNIP>

On the first play from scrimmage, new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan called for the team's starters to line up in the 4-3 Flex, a formation conceived by Tom Landry -- the legendary coach whose fingerprints are all over this franchise.

"Without living in the past, we try to put that in front of our players to understand what the tradition means, what the star means, what the standard is and all that," head coach Jason Garrett said. "I think it fits in with all of that. It was Rob's idea all the way. He brought it up to me and I said I love that. That's tremendous.''

Read more:http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/08/cowboys-pay-tribute-to-landry.html?
  2. SaltwaterServr

SaltwaterServr Blank Paper Offends Me

8,124 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That's gold right there. Rob's PR stock just shot up.
  3. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,247 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    Definitely great stuff starting out there...:starspin
  4. w8lifter

w8lifter Member

510 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I didnt even notice it, but think that was SO cool to honor Coach Landry in that manner.

:clap2:
  5. BAT

BAT Mr. Fixit

7,726 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    Say what you want about Buddy Ryan, but this was a class move by Rob Ryan. Pure gold.

I can't believe I'm such a fan of this guy. He really hasn't done anything yet. Just love his style. :D
  6. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I remember hoping that Jimmy Johnson would do something similar on the day that Landry was honored in Texas Stadium. (run the flex or have the OL do the classic hitch-up move before taking their stance).

... of course that was a regular season game, so it is very understandable that it didn't happen ...
  7. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,086 Messages
    3,070 Likes Received
    Is there any video of this? I missed the first defensive play. I would love to see that.
  8. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton it was the grave marked unknown right beside

6,475 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  9. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    OK, this is going to sound like hindsight but when I saw 54 on the field with the starters and he jumped down on the line and in a down position I said, "My God, they brought Randy White out of retirement."

And now to read this that it was all by design makes it that much more cool.

Way to go RR!
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Agree with David... That didn't look anything like the Flex, except that #54 was offset. He was way too deep, though. :)

It's a nice sentiment, though.
  11. hutch1254

hutch1254 Well-Known Member

1,449 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    I thought it was pretty cool. Not the true 4-3 flex but it was good to see. Initially made me say out loud "what the hell is 54 doing?" before I realized. Been a long time.

Would have been cool to see the Oline do the old standup and reset thing. That would have blown me away. Is that considered a penalty now if they did that?
  12. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    Great stuff. Heartwarming.
    What a move by RR.
  13. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,189 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    Yeah, that's not a standard 4-3 Flex alignment like many of us were used to seeing but the principle was the same and the result were very similar. What we saw last night is probably more similar to the 34 Flex or Army's Swarm Defense. They run a 34 Flex I believe. Lots of batted balls in that old Flex. Was a really cool gesture IMO. Hats off to Rob and the D for doing that.
  14. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,171 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    Next tribute formation should be the OL Hitch.
  15. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,002 Messages
    4,533 Likes Received
    I didn't recognize it. Nice tribute though.
  16. CowboyDan

CowboyDan Anger is a Gift

3,368 Messages
    110 Likes Received
    "Without living in the past, we try to put that in front of our players to understand what the tradition means, what the star means, what the standard is and all that," head coach Jason Garrett said. "I think it fits in with all of that. It was Rob's idea all the way. He brought it up to me and I said I love that. That's tremendous.''

Just read this over and over and over. :starspin
  17. w8lifter

w8lifter Member

510 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    First of all, I'll never try to profess to know it all about the rules, but I think that would be a False Start if the OL reset in that manner.

I THINK that was one of the reasons the False Start rule was made as that OL Reset routine we used in back then seemed to cause a lot of D Linemen to jump in reaction.

Correct me if Im wrong....... :D
  18. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,189 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    Maybe just a quick word on what the Flex was an what it was designed to do. Many of you may already know this and may even be able to contribute more to this then I but for those of you who are a bit younger, maybe this will help to understand what Coach Landry's Flex was.

In order to understand the Flex, you must understand the Era of football being played at the time and why it was necessary. In the late 1950's, both Tom Landry and Vince Lombardi coached on the same staff for the New York Giants. Coach Landry was the DC for NY and Coach Lombardi was the OC. In those days, the Giants played a more traditional 43 defense, also a defensive scheme that was created by Tom Landry. Lombardi was working on an offensive scheme that would defeat the 43, which had become the dominant defensive scheme in football. What Vince Lombardi started working on in New York and later took with him to Green Bay was the "Run to Daylight" offensive scheme. Basically, what it did was allow a runner to run to an open area of the field as opposed to running to a designated hole, which is what Offensives of the day were designed to do. In fact, most are still designed to do this. Lombardi's theory was to avoid the massive wall of defenders that would defend plays called for a specific hole in the running game and just allow the RB to flow to open space where they could use agility and speed to exploit the defense. A very succesful offensive inovation as it turned out. Lombardi and his teams were famous for that offensive scheme. The Flex Defense was a variation on the 43 that was designed to stop the Run To Daylight Offensive scheme. The idea was to basically allow the Defense to "Flow To Daylight". Coach Landry realized that in the traditional 43 defensive alignment, it was easy for the OL to engage the defense and lock up or bottle up the defense, according to what hole each defensive player was assigned to defend. In turn, this would create pockets of daylight. He realized that he must devise a scheme that would do two things.

One, create more difficult blocking angles for the offense to reach. The idea being that if an OL could get to the block, they could use more strength and power to hold you on the block. If you created space, an OL would have to extend and by doing this, would not be able to bring as much strength to the block. Basically, more energy and strength would be used trying to reach the block as opposed to being able to lock up. You must also understand that the majority of OLs in this Era of football were not nearly as agile so they were at a disadvantage when trying to reach block. Out of their comfort zone, if you will. Coach Landry's solution to this was to off set his DL or "FLEX" the Defensive Lineman a yard or so off the LOS in order to create space or angles. There were basically three variation of Flex, Strong, Weak and Eagle or Tackle. Which Defensive lineman would line up offset or Flexed, depended on a few factors. Down and Distance, Offensive Personnel, opposing teams tendencies or Offensive scheme and Offensive Alignments. Based on these factors, the Flex would be called either to the Strong side, the Weak side or the Tackles. Essentially, the defensive personnel would have to identify all of these variables and then a line call would be made on where to Flex on the line. It was an educated guess on behalf of the defense, designed to create a more difficult angle for the block. It created space so that the DL could flow to Daylight.

The second thing Coach Landry needed to be able to do was redesign the MLB and what his responsibilities were. Prior to the Flex, most teams ran a standard 43. In that defense, what you did was you designated each DL to account for a gap or hole responsibility and then you used your MLB to flow to the hole in the box where the run was designed to go. Basically, he needed to be big, strong and he needed to be able to stack and make the tackle in the hole. Guys like Dick Butkus, Chuck Bednarik, Sam Huff and Ray Nitschke were the stars at LB in those days. Coach Landry figured out that in order to make the "Flex" concept work, he would need a MLB that could flow from sideline to sideline, was an excellent open filed tackler as well as a guy who could stone you in the hole and was highly intelligent because he would be the one identifying all the variable needed to select the correct Flex call for the DL. The idea being a defense that would prevent OLs from being able to bottle up or Seal defenders inside the box. The LB would be able to flow cleanly or scrap to the ball carrier without getting caught up in trash. the entire idea was create defensive flow to the ball or to daylight and take away the open spaces or the daylight from the "Run To Daylight" offense that Coach Lombardi and the Packers were dominating the league with, at the time.

The Flex was heavily dependent on the right kind of personnel, extreme discipline to the assignment and you had to have a certain intelligence factor. If you didn't have those kinds of players, it didn't work.

That's the Flex.
  19. Richmond Cowboy

Richmond Cowboy Well-Known Member

1,265 Messages
    356 Likes Received

Awesome, thanks!
  20. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,347 Messages
    1,391 Likes Received
    Oh my, I'm becoming more and more of a Jason Garrett fan as the days go bye.

YR