1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: Cowboys position series: Left guard only starting O-line position up for grabs

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, Jul 6, 2014.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,920 Messages
    4,485 Likes Received
    Cowboys position series: Left guard only starting O-line position up for grabs heading into season
    dmoore@dallasnews.com Published: 25 June 2014 09:09 PM

[IMG]

Quick synopsis: Must be physical but have enough quickness to pull on some running plays. This position is often slightly better than the right guard in pass protection since he must protect a right-handed quarterback’s blindside.

2013 review: This had been one of the more unsettled positions in the offensive line with three different starters over the previous two seasons. But Leary stepped in and started all 16 games in ’13. He’s physical and plays with an edge the Cowboys like. He struggled in pass coverage during the middle of the season but showed improvement toward the end of the season.

2014 outlook: This is the only starting position up for grabs heading into the season. Leary and Bernadeau have been splitting snaps with the first team during the off-season and will continue into training camp. The loser of this competition will be the primary backup for both guard spots.

Depth Chart:

Ron Leary

Mackenzy Bernadeau

Ronald Patrick

Brian Clarke

Andre Cureton

On Twitter: @DavidMooreDMN

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...position-up-for-grabs-heading-into-season.ece

Related

2. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,504 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    LG up for grabs, looks like Free will tandem with Martin on the right side with Frederick at Center.

Leary and Berny are legit but if someone could push them a bit it would be a real luxury for 14'.

As Fans of the O, u gotta be very excite!

3. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,600 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    The guys whose name I can't spell certainly could win the battle at LG
  4. jobberone

38,920 Messages
    4,485 Likes Received
    Most seem to have written Martin into the starting lineup. I suspect that'll be true but I think that is written in stone. I'll be surprised if he doesn't beat one of the guards out of a job though. My guess is Leary but just speculation.
  5. jobberone

38,920 Messages
    4,485 Likes Received
    They call him Mack for short.
  6. Chris in Arizona

Chris in Arizona I am Death

3,777 Messages
    581 Likes Received
    The Uche Nwaneri signing solidifies the spot for me. He, Martin, Leary, and Bernadeau will compete for 2 spots with the other 2 providing depth. The last few years there has not been a lot of quality competition on the O Line.
    birdwells1 and jobberone like this.
  7. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,600 Messages
    1,017 Likes Received
    I meant the guy we signed from the jags
    jobberone likes this.
  8. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,676 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Is Free a certainty to start at RT? I was hoping Parnell or Weems would push him
    jobberone likes this.
  9. jobberone

38,920 Messages
    4,485 Likes Received
    I just forgot about Nwaneri and I'd looked at his signing earlier. Must be getting CRS Syndrome.
  10. jobberone

38,920 Messages
    4,485 Likes Received
    Not for me he isn't. I think Parnell will push him this year...hard.
    pancakeman likes this.
  11. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,414 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    Since Leary is solid vs the run, his main requirement will be to sharpen up his pass blocking. Bernie will push him, though, but their strengths and weaknesses are very similar. Whoever solidifies their pass blocking the most should likely win the LG spot, imho.
    jobberone likes this.
  12. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,830 Messages
    1,682 Likes Received
    This is it for Parnell. he now has enough experience at tackle and should be healthy. If he cannot do it now he never will.
    Heelsboy, yentl911 and jobberone like this.
  13. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,631 Messages
    5,545 Likes Received
    It's about time.
    jobberone likes this.
  14. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,525 Messages
    1,025 Likes Received
    Every job should have the illusion of being open, even if we know nobody is beating out Tyron, Dez, Tony, etc. A lack of competition only breeds complacency.
    jobberone and birdwells1 like this.
  15. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,247 Messages
    1,449 Likes Received
    Didn't we take Trai Turner in the 3rd? Oh, maybe I was dreaming....
  16. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

4,350 Messages
    858 Likes Received
    Bernadeau should win this. He doesn't get enough credit for how well he played last year.
    jobberone likes this.
  17. jobberone

38,920 Messages
    4,485 Likes Received
    There are four guards who will likely compete. Leary, Mack, Martin and Nwaneri. Patrick could surprise people since he's capable of playing C, G and T although in the NFL he's interior.

Nwaneri is a good pass blocker and so so at the run. He gave up 4 sks, 5 hits and a total of 18 hurries last year.

Leary was poor at pass blocking and so so with the run. He gave up 5 sacks, 3 hits, and 27 hurries as well as having 8 penalties.

Mack had 4 sacks, 3 hits and 17 hurries with 1 penalty. His run blocking is good to better. He really had two bad games. His first game of the year against NYG and the last Was game. He's a better G than Leary.

Martin is the unknown. He moved much better than I thought and I think he's going to be solid. These rookies often have trouble the first year with the better DTs both quick and big. I think they don't want Romo pressured this year as much.....no one wants pressure on the QB. But his efficiency drops off a good bit with substantial pressure.

Nwaneri and Mack have the advantage there and Martin will have to beat one of them out. I don't know how mobile Nwaneri is but Mack isn't nor Leary. My guess is Nwaneri will start at LG and either Martin or Mack will start at RG. Mack is a very powerful run blocker and does a decent job in pass protection. He's going to be hard to displace.
  18. jobberone

38,920 Messages
    4,485 Likes Received
    Couldn't agree more about his play last year. Lots of crickets about him since many droned on about his suckage in previous years. He'll still have to beat out either Nwaneri or Martin. I just hope those top four stay healthy and the best guy gets the job. Then we'll have decent depth, too.
    Section444 likes this.
  19. Sydla

Sydla Active Member

471 Messages
    212 Likes Received
    You don't draft a guy 16th overall and not start him.

Martin is a starting OG unless he is so dreadful in camp, which is unlikely, that they have no choice.
  20. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    Really, the thing he needs the most is playing time and being consistent. Physically he's probably always been superior to Free.

If not for getting hurt, I think he would have been the starter last year, to be honest. No reason to think he won't push again this year. Free wasn't as good as he gets credit for, and I think the coaching staff probably knows that.
    jobberone likes this.