1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Cowboys SS Gerald Sensabaugh ready for free agency

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by CCBoy, Jun 24, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,241 Messages
    1,406 Likes Received
    Cowboys SS Gerald Sensabaugh ready for free agency
    ByRainer Sabin / Reporter
    rsabin@dallasnews.com

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/06/cowboys-ss-gerald-sensabaugh-r.html

After collecting a career-high five interceptions and 71 tackles last season, strong safety Gerald Sensabaugh believes he deserves a substantial contract and is willing to look for the best deal. Unable to come to terms with the Cowboys before the lockout, Sensabaugh plans to explore his options.

"I tried to give them every opportunity to (re-sign) me that I could (before the lockout)," Sensabaugh told Vic Carucci, an NFL.com senior columnist. "But I'm just looking forward to going into free agency. I'll be open to going back to the Cowboys, but I'm going to go out there and see what options I have and what will be the best fit for me."

Last season, Sensabaugh tried to coax a long-term deal out of the Cowboys but eventually signed a second-round tender that paid him $1.8 million. This year, as an unrestricted free agent, Sensabaugh finds himself in an advantageous bargaining position because Alan Ball is expected to move back to cornerback after floundering as the team's starting free safety last season.

Consequently, the Cowboys would have to fill two positions in their secondary if Sensabaugh, in fact, signed elsewhere. For a number of reasons, Sensabaugh thinks the Cowboys would be foolish to let him go...
  2. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,046 Messages
    790 Likes Received
    Wow ...... that was unexpected
  3. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
  4. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,128 Messages
    1,825 Likes Received
    "Don't let the door hit ya!"
  5. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,815 Messages
    635 Likes Received
    JAG.

Elam come on down.
  6. TD-33

TD-33 Benched

2,542 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    you think that now wait until Church is back there full time.
  7. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Not a big difference between Elam and Sensabaugh.
  8. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Sensabaugh is very underrated by the GMs on this board I see... Put Church and Ball back there and you'll never hear the end of it on here.
  9. Marktui

Marktui Active Member

1,200 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Hmmmm, how much of a demand will he get? He wasn't that bad last year. Our whole secondary just down. Jenks not having a good year, Newman hurt and Ball getting overwhelmed. Sensy had some good plays and some bad ones also. Sounds like he already has made up his mind on leaving.

Is Elam an UFA, he might be a better fit, he knows the system and can be a qb out there for the secondary.
  10. TheSport78

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    I just don't want Jerry to overpay for a JAG like Sensabaugh. Also, we have no idea what Rob Ryan thinks of him. Rob will probably want familiarity on his defense, so bringing in players like Huff, Elam and even Kenyon Coleman will help with converting to his defensive scheme. With no OTA's or offseason workouts, we need players who have experience in Rob Ryan's D. Sensabaugh doesn't fit in my opinion.

And Elam is an UFA.
  11. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,128 Messages
    1,825 Likes Received
    This is exactly along the lines of what I was thinking.

Elam can help 'coach up' the secondary while Kenyon Coleman could help with the defensive line while inexpensively filling a big void ate defensive end.

And Huff will give this team the free safety they've been lacking for quite a while.
  12. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,209 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Not sure what he said that is outrageous. Sensy has been a class act since day one. I think he has played well for the Cowboys. I would want him back again and maybe compete for a starting spot.
  13. TheSport78

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Cullen Jenkins wouldn't hurt either :D
  14. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,408 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    All that bluster is simply Sensabaugh jockeying to exert his leverage and force the Cowboys to be generous in negotiating with him in the future. You know what? It may work. If not, he'll be gone.
  15. TD-33

TD-33 Benched

2,542 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Was Elam a top 10 JAG safety last year too? :eek:
  16. TheSport78

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Maybe so but at least he's familiar with Rob Ryan's scheme. If we could get Huff and Elam, I would be very happy.
  17. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,528 Messages
    211 Likes Received
    I would not mind him back for a decent contract.
  18. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    Didnt elam play for us for a short time in 06?

Sensi just isn't great. Not bad.just around solid maybe even above avg. So he shouldn't get q big deal regardless of what hr thinks he is worth
  19. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,133 Messages
    85 Likes Received
  20. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    With all the other safeties on the market, I can't see Sensy being a real hot commodity.

I wouldn't mind seeing him come back at a reasonable price.