1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

News: DMN: Cris Carter: God has given Dez a lottery ticket, but ‘he can’t cash it in'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 28, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,320 Messages
    9,981 Likes Received
    By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
    jmachota@dallasnews.com
    7:50 pm on August 27, 2012 | Permalink

Former NFL wide receiver Cris Carter struggled with off the field issues early in his NFL career. The eight-time Pro Bowl selection battled addiction to alcohol and cocaine.

So it shouldn’t come as a surprise that the ESPN NFL analyst called in to the Mike & Mike in the Morning radio show Monday on 103.3 [KESN-FM] when the topic turned to the off-the-field rules that have been set for Cowboys wide receiver Dez Bryant.

“In my early twenties I had tremendous struggles, and if people didn’t go out of their way, I wouldn’t have became Cris Carter,” Carter said. “Now Dez Bryant has a choice. He now has the choice to become somebody or he’s just going to become a stat. It’s the same choice that I had to make. But I’m so thankful that the Eagles went out of their way to try and help me. And that’s why Buddy Ryan cut me. And then the Minnesota Vikings saved my life.

“They didn’t put the message in place that Dez has because I had made a decision that I wanted to turn my life around and take control of my life. But (with) certain heralded people, you have to put certain measures in place to kind of corral them until they get focused.”

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...y-ticket-but-he-cant-cash-that-thing-in.html/
  2. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

23,448 Messages
    2,470 Likes Received
    If anyone knows, it's Cris Carter.

Now go cash that lottery ticket, Dez. :)
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

82,170 Messages
    5,859 Likes Received
    I think Carter has been very fair in his comments in the past and now when talking about Dez. Carter knows from his own experience and that is why he helps by conveying his message to the rookies when they enter the NFL.

In high school and college if you had talent you got a free pass now things are very different and the spot light you live under is very different.
  4. a_minimalist

a_minimalist Well-Known Member

4,762 Messages
    192 Likes Received
    I agree, he's been more fair that a lot of former Cowboys which is frustrating.
  5. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,630 Messages
    205 Likes Received
    Cris Carter reminds me a lot of Michael Irvin. They have had their issues, but have ultimately at least figured out that you have to keep it out of the ditch for the most part.

I think both are also very realistic about who they are and have a realistic grasp of what today's players deal with.

As a lawyer, I "read" people for a living and my skills in that area are pretty sharp ...... and having said that, I think it is remarkable that Michael Irvin has done a pretty good job of keeping the wheels on in his life, because I think Mike's urge to "run it all the way in the ditch" is overwhelmingly strong. I think Michael is an "experience collector" who needs excitement in his life to feel alive. That's just my theory on the matter.
  6. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

29,413 Messages
    2,947 Likes Received
    You know who could have a great one-on-one 'Crossfire' radio or television discussion on the topic of Dez Bryant? Cris Carter and Drew Pearson. That would be a conversation worth watching or listening to.
  7. Future

Future Intramural Legend

17,167 Messages
    2,182 Likes Received
    Meh. Cris Carter learned his lesson because he was much easier to cut. His last year with the Eagles was a great season, but other than that he hadn't done anything. He didn't have the physical ability that Dez does.
  8. viman96

viman96 Thread Killer

8,352 Messages
    1,151 Likes Received
    What does that have to do with the struggles he faced and ultimately turning his life around? He is saying he got his wake up call and made the decision to move forward in a positive manner. And he hopes Dez does the same.
  9. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,320 Messages
    9,981 Likes Received
    Indeed...

I don't even like popcorn, but I'd certainly pop some to listen to that debate.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

17,167 Messages
    2,182 Likes Received
    I just meant that he's thankful for getting cut, Dez isn't going to get that kind of wake up call as long as he doesn't stab anybody.
  11. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,772 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    ...we are talking about a player who has argueably the best hands in all of football...ever.

This man had incredible hand eye coordination the likes the league has not seen since.

The eye popping grab Dez made a couple of games ago, Carter has a few of those in his highlight film.

Mind you he had a longer career to collect those highlights, but he had the physical ability to make those plays. The film doesn't lie.

Take a minute and youtube them. Some of them are worthy.
  12. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,824 Messages
    955 Likes Received
    Carter seems to be a more reasonable and understanding then that jack wagon Heath Evans.

And the articles title is a bit misleading.