1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Dallas Cowboys practice report: DE Anthony Spencer, RB Lance Dunbar still out; LG Ron...

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Sep 2, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

32,243 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    The Dallas Cowboys practiced in light rain this morning at Valley Ranch, their first practice this week that jump-starts their preparation for the season opener Sunday night against the New York Giants at AT&T Stadium.

Starting defensive end Anthony Spencer was not on the practice field again. He’s still recovering from arthroscopic left knee surgery July 25. Also still out of practice was reserve running back Lance Dunbar, who is out with a sprained left foot. Other Cowboys players not practicing Monday: safeties Danny McCray (strained hamstring) and Eric Frampton (strained left calf), tight end Dante Rosario and practice squad defensive back Micah Pellerin.

Rosario, McCray and Frampton are all key special teams contributors for the Cowboys. McCray was the Cowboys’ special teams captain last season, and Frampton led the Cowboys last year with 21 special teams tackles.

Left guard Ron Leary, who is expected to start against the Giants, was back on the practice field Monday. He had been recovering from arthroscopic right knee surgery.

Continue reading...
  2. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,607 Messages
    3,138 Likes Received
    Bad news on Spencer... Good news on Leary.
    justbob likes this.
  3. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,839 Messages
    2,325 Likes Received

wonder how much of spencer and dunbar not practicing is inability to do so versus keeping them out because of the rain (issues with footing) and not wanting to risk a set back
  4. al124

al124 Member

130 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    The Spencer injury is a huge concern. There's just no depth at DE. Here's to hoping Selvie can contribute..
  5. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,524 Messages
    1,063 Likes Received
    Great to hear about Leary. Gotta say, I'm starting to worry about Spencer. We really need him.
  6. CowboysPhan

CowboysPhan Obsequious Cowboys Toadie

447 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Interesting that they're still working Free at both guard and tackle. I assume when he's playing tackle its Bernadeau at guard. Wonder if they are still debating which way to go with it, or just practicing both ways for insurance. I hope they already know what they're going to do, but that they don't tell us so the giants have to wonder which player will be in which position Sunday night.
  7. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    Thursday will be the telling day.

Dunbar is out of the boot, but I bet he doesn't play. No need to rush him. Spencer will probably be limited during game time and play on third downs if I had to guess.
  8. reddyuta

reddyuta Well-Known Member

6,208 Messages
    682 Likes Received
    No rat and spencer,Wilson may have a huge game.
  9. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,623 Messages
    512 Likes Received
    Spencer is likely out. Can't imagine him showing up to practice Wednesday for the first time coming off of surgery and ready for live action inWeek 1. I'd say he's doubtful at best.

No need to rush Dunbar if it's iffy. But he's probably a lot closer to being ready than Spencer.
  10. ThreeandOut

ThreeandOut Well-Known Member

1,817 Messages
    183 Likes Received

Yes, you would have to think that Spencer will be very limited if he does play.
  11. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    kiffin said he would be.

I bet he is just a third down or obvious passing down guy. When he talked last week spencer said he could play but would be limited snaps wise.
  12. Staubacher

Staubacher Well-Known Member

2,498 Messages
    2,346 Likes Received
    Much as it hurts, I'd rather they wait another week on Spencer and Dunbar if there is any doubt as to their health. We can put up a lot of points on NY and I think we will - hopefully enough to outscore them.

Then we'll have Spencer back closer to 100% for the last 15+ games. Ditto Dunbar
  13. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,385 Messages
    645 Likes Received
    Freaking spencer. 5 weeks and counting.
  14. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

2,128 Messages
    435 Likes Received
    10 Million reasons to get on the field Spencer...
  15. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,814 Messages
    703 Likes Received
    I highly doubt Spencer will be active the first three games. Just a hunch.

I also think the Giants will try to pound the ball and control the clock, keep the game close and low scoring. Do the Giants have the OL to do that and can that OL stay healthy during the game? Do the Cowboys have enough on the DL to stop them from running. Will the Cowboys' Rushmen be too eager to get to the QB and get gashed by the RB? Can the Cowboys offense score early and often and make the Giants go away from the run? Can Giants RB Wilson stay healthy? The Giants don't have much backing him up at RB.

We'll see on Sunday.
  16. Vertigo_17

Vertigo_17 Well-Known Member

2,260 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I'd sit Spencer, make sure he's healthy and look to get him back game 2 or 3. We can risk losing him for the season given the lack of depth on the DL.
  17. davey999

davey999 Well-Known Member

1,665 Messages
    332 Likes Received
    We are going to be starting Selvie and Hayden week 1.

Freaking pathetic.
  18. Vanilla2

Vanilla2 Well-Known Member

1,604 Messages
    733 Likes Received
    Ugh
  19. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,524 Messages
    1,063 Likes Received
    By the way, this report says that Leary and Bern rotated at LG, whereas a BTB report says that Leary stayed at LG and Bern rotated with Free at RG.

http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013...rio-traded-anthony-spencer-out-ron-leary-back

"On the practice front, the Cowboys saw the return of LG Ron Leary to practice. For the portion open to the media, Leary and the other offensive linemen shuffled between first and second units. Leary stayed at left guard, but Mack Bernadeau and Doug Free rotated at RG, while Free and Jermey Parnell rotated at right tackle. Leary has been out a few weeks after having a scope done on his "good" knee; not the one with the degenerative condition."
  20. rpatricc

rpatricc Well-Known Member

1,028 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Thank God we did not sign Spencer to a long term deal. He's a great player, but a huge red flag that he's almost thirty and and hasn't played a down in training camp.