1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Dez Bryant not listening to Tim Brown’s comments, ‘That’s just how I play’

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 25, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,233 Messages
    7,064 Likes Received
    By SportsDayDFW sports
    websports@dallasnews.com
    2:03 pm on March 23, 2013 | Permalink

Brown, the former Oakland Raiders receiver who ranks fifth all-time in career receiving yards said earlier this week that he was concerned about Bryant’s health, because he plays like a ‘kamikaze’ by trying to fight through tackles instead of realizing when he should go down.

But, speaking after the “Men Against Abuse” rally on Saturday, Bryant said he’s not concerned about injuries or his style of play.

“Not at all,” Bryant said. “That’s just how I play. That’s my type of game. That’s my style of play. I’m going to keep playing that way. I don’t think about injuries. I just go out there and play.”

“My whole thing is, from last year I want to bring it over to this year and much better,” Bryant said. “(I’m) just basically maintaining what I was doing the last half of the season. Me as an individual, I just want to make myself right and do the best I possibly can to contribute to this 2013 Cowboy team.”

Read more: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...m-browns-comments-thats-just-how-i-play.html/
  2. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

10,009 Messages
    1,148 Likes Received
    Keep on keepin on Dez!
  3. DanteEXT

DanteEXT Well-Known Member

1,838 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    I love Dez's fight and determination on every play but I can honestly say that I have felt those same concerns as Tim Brown.
  4. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,335 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    I was against all the coaches when they were trying to get MBIII to stop being so physical because that physicality was what made Barber so special at the time. It shortened his career, but if he didn't do it that way he would have been a JAG and probably never even made a roster.

So I guess I should remain consistent with Dez and let him be who he is. Maybe Dez will score a few TDs he might not ordinarily would hve because the DB on him is just not up to being as physical as he needs to be to stop Dez on certain plays.

If Dez could be special and avoid collisions that would be great. But if he avoids being who he is as a player and lessens his impact to avoid a few hits, I doubt he'll be quite the same or as effective as he otherwise is. We just need to accept that he might get nicked up from time to time and enjoy his dominance while we can.
  5. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,158 Messages
    4,604 Likes Received
    Dez needs to play smart. For every time he refuses to go down and his struggles result in a big play there will be 100 plays where he either gets popped, injured, or gives up the football.
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,906 Likes Received
    I agree but I think it is easier said than done. I have seen times Where Dez will step out of bound or go down but no doubt often he will fight for the extra yards. I want him to be smart but do not want his to lose the drive and determination.
  7. Nation

Nation Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

2,540 Messages
    1,033 Likes Received
    Tim Brown's head is going to explode if Dez Bryant is playing like a kamikaze during plays called by Bill Callahan
  8. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

4,066 Messages
    665 Likes Received
    Dez's fights for extra yards have won us games the last 2 years, so I have no problem with it. Unfortunately that's the way he wants to play the game and it would be wrong to ask him to not go 100%.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,863 Messages
    1,706 Likes Received
    and he could have a shortened career as a result. That is the main concern
  10. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,158 Messages
    4,604 Likes Received
    Getting hurt struggling with three guys draped over him is going to get him hurt or cost us the football sooner or later.
  11. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The "that's just my type of game" attitude didn't do Marion Barber any favors.

I like and appreciate that Dez Bruant plays aggressively, but he has to be smarter about it because he does expose himself too much sometimes - and the ball for that matter - which can lead to injuries and fumbles.
  12. forever22

forever22 Member

369 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He just has to know how to play smart football. There are times when you should fight for extra yards and when you should just go down. Taking any uneccessary hits doesn't make you a man or a better football player. Safeties and linebackers coming in to light you up are like small car accidents
  13. Cowboy06

Cowboy06 Active Member

456 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Dez meet Marion Barber....sometimes less is more, pick and choose your battles.
  14. Dhragon

Dhragon Deadly Claws of Death

1,335 Messages
    204 Likes Received
    Yet MBIII would have been a JAG at BEST without that kamikazi attitude. That was his biggest plus. Althopugh I believe Dez would still be a very good receiver without that attitude, I think it would hurt his effectiveness to some extent. THEN everyone would be calling for his head because he wasn't a top 5 WR anymore. Let Dez be Dez.
  15. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,080 Messages
    807 Likes Received
    Yet we all cheered this.

[youtube]IMAaZYD3meE[/youtube]
  16. muck4doo

muck4doo Well-Known Member

2,008 Messages
    92 Likes Received
    That was so awesome!