1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Dez making plays, but also showing rawness; Phillips: 'He's learning as he goes

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 28, 2010.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,713 Messages
    6,480 Likes Received
    12:08 AM CDT on Tuesday, September 28, 2010

[SIZE=-1]BY GERRY FRALEY / The Dallas Morning News
    gfraley@dallasnews.com / The Dallas Morning News
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]
    Rookie wide receiver Dez Bryant showed more of his skills with four catches for 50 yards against Houston. His rawness also showed.

In the second quarter, Bryant ran a pattern to the outside of cornerback Kareem Jackson instead of breaking to the inside, as coverage dictated. That allowed Jackson to shove Bryant out of bounds, making him ineligible to catch the football. In college, a receiver can return to make a catch when he is pushed out.

Bryant said he knew the NFL rule.

"He's learning as he goes," Wade Phillips said.

Read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...tories/092810dnspofraleybryant.137c16cdf.html
  2. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,887 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Regardless of the raw technique, h showed some incredible physical skills. There was also the matter of a missed PI call. I see so much upside. Hard not to be excited about Dez.
  3. tomson75

tomson75 Brain Dead Shill

16,714 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    If that's "raw", I can't wait to see a polished product. This kid is going to be unreal if he stays healthy.
  4. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,533 Messages
    1,653 Likes Received
    Starting to more pleased with my choice of a Dez jersey over a Felix jersey. Wanted to get a Felix jersey, but after they drafted Dez, I was undecided. When my friend was at the pro shop, she called and asked which won I wanted. I went with Dez.
  5. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I hope Michael Irvin is reading this because I propose a new reality show for him this offseason. Instead of "4th and Long" it should be titled "1st and Goal" and it should feature the Cowboys young WRs going against the young DBs, effectively as an unoffical traininc camp for the likes of Dez Bryant, AOA, and the other young WRs and DBs on the team. If you want to see these players polished, I say give Michael Irvin, Bill Bates and Coach Joe a crack at them and they'll shine like diamonds.
  6. JPostSam

JPostSam Well-Known Member

1,019 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    :hammer:

it's already exciting watching him. you know he's going to explode soon.

and what makes it even better is that he's humble. it's so fun to root for guys like romo, witten, austin -- and, now, dez -- instead of having to apologize for boneheads like brandon jacobs, desean jackson or albert haynesworth.
  7. Zman5

Zman5 Well-Known Member

5,711 Messages
    1,408 Likes Received
    He has the physical tools. No doubt. Let's hope he also has the mental strength and the discipline to be one of the great ones. I'm hoping the Broddaus(sp?)' report of him not spending the time to learn the playbook while he was injured aren't true.
  8. followthestar

followthestar Active Member

2,083 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    It seemed like Romo was not at all afraid to throw it up for Dez to field the ball. If true, that confidence will make us very hard to stop. With Romo able to buy time and Dez able to come down with most contested balls, or drawing a PI call, this offense will be awesome come playoff time.
  9. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,016 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Don't forget that Romo went to him on the 4th down play that they converted for a first down. That meant something to me.

He is a phenomenal talent. It's going to be fun watching him mature and begin to take over.