1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Don't forget about the running backs

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by da_boyz_mk, Jun 3, 2004.

1. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Matt Mosley: Don't forget about the running backs

03:02 PM CDT on Thursday, June 3, 2004

With all the focus on the Cowboys' quarterback situation, it's easy to forget that the team isn't exactly stacked at running back. Julius Jones, the Cowboys' first pick in the draft, will likely be the starter. And then it gets a little dicey.

With relatively inexperienced players such as ReShard Lee, Erik Bickerstaff and Aveion Cason all in the mix, it makes you wonder whether the Cowboys will add a veteran.

Antowain Smith, who helped lead the Patriots to the Super Bowl last season, has drawn little interest in the off-season. He would be reliable backup.

James Stewart (Lions) missed an entire season because of an injury, but he's always been a serviceable back and the Texans' Stacey Mack had some solid years when he played for Jacksonville. Another player who has seen his value plummet in recent years is former Green Bay star Dorsey Levens, who spent last season with the Giants. When he's not injured, Levens is capable of making plays.

Judging by all reader e-mails, Mario Edwards' replacement at cornerback is the biggest concern, but the Cowboys are more likely to bring in a veteran running back than go after another cornerback.

If that happens, look for the Cowboys to pursue Smith.

Rookie cornerback could play earlier than expected: One of the players everyone will be focusing on at this weekend's veteran camp is rookie Bruce Thornton out of Georgia. Initially thought of as somewhat of a project, Cowboys coaches were pleasantly surprised by Thornton's performance at last month's rookie camp.

With a strong showing this summer, Thornton could end up challenging Pete Hunter for the starting spot. Hunter, who Parcells has raved about in the off-season, still has the edge, but Thornton was much further ahead than the coaching staff anticipated.

Minicamp schedule: Bill Parcells will use this weekend's minicamp as a dress rehearsal for training camp. For the first time, he'll have a chance to see most of his roster on the same practice field.

MINICAMP SCHEDULE

Saturday, June 5
    11 a.m. - Bill Parcells news conference
    2-4 p.m. - Practice

Sunday, June 6
    10:30-12:30 p.m. - Practice
    3-5 p.m. - Practice

Monday, June 7
    10:30-12:30 p.m. - Practice
    1:30 p.m. - Bill Parcells news conference
    3-5 p.m. - Practice
  2. Reef Engineer

Reef Engineer New Member

810 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Thanks for the info ...

I'm curious to see who comes out of this minicamp with a thumbs up and thumbs down. I'm particularly interested in how the QBs stack up, whether LA is back to form, if Hunter is ready for prime time, and if the addition of Wiley puts more oomph into the pass rush.

Should be an interesting few days.
  3. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    i can't wait. the one question i have is if they will be in pads or not. to me that is the best way to judge lineman and i too would like to hear about wiley bringing some heat.
  4. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,366 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Wiley being able to bring the heat is a must.........If our DLine can put some heat on the QB it will definitely help our somewhat questionable secondary.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Wiley can do the job.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,323 Messages
    2,879 Likes Received
    Antowain Smith, James Stewart or Stacey Mack would all excite me more than Eddie George. If it were up to me I would go with what we have at RB and get another CB before camp.
  6. junk

junk I've got moxie

9,278 Messages
    207 Likes Received
    I was just thinking about CBs. Bill had the faith in Newman to start him as a rookie last year and that seemed to work out all right. He has seen Hunter since training camp last year and seems comfortable in starting him. Sounds OK to me.

They could use some depth though.