1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Garrett lists three reasons why the Cowboys are switching to a 4-3 defense

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 13, 2013.

1. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,581 Messages
    532 Likes Received
    My three reasons for switching to a 4-3:

1) No true NT
    2) Both Ware and Spencer are DEs and not LBs.
    3) Cowboy 3-4 generated little pass rush and even less pass rush when blitzing (not sure how that is even physically possible but I swear I witnessed it time and again)

My three reasons for lack of turnovers:

1) CBs playing 7 yds off - rarely, if ever, saw press coverage (Thanks, Rob Ryan)
    2) Pathetic amount of 3-man rushes and poor blitz schemes (Thanks, Rob Ryan)
    3) Secondary not having a clue what to do (Thanks, Rob Ryan)
  2. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

4,618 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    ... and plus that was a good answer by Red Ball. (Haven't red the entire article.)
  3. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

4,618 Messages
    390 Likes Received
    Will do.
  4. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    It's just words.

Like the turnover nonsense. There's a similar ratio of 3-4 teams to 4-3 teams in the top 10 in turnovers each season. Teams like Green Bay and SF and Pitt will perennially be up there with Chicago and Baltimore. As though changing the front is suddenly going to get us up there with Chicago in takeaways. Check out this bridge...
  5. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,478 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Reason #4 was left out...

"I had to blame something other than the offense for last season, so we made the switch."

Such a kabuki dance we have here.
  6. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

36,258 Messages
    3,190 Likes Received
    I agree with this mostly. Players make plays. But players must fit the scheme. One player may excel in one scheme and be lost in another. Been there. I do think you can find LBs easier for the 4-3 and I do believe in speed and cover ability combined with instincts as the keys to success there.

On another note, I think they are in better shape along the DL than some think here. I'm very interested in Spencer signing or not. Totally on the fence here primarily over cap repercussions.