1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Garrett: New offensive assistant coaches can ‘really help us break through’

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 12, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,577 Messages
    3,442 Likes Received
    By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
    jmachota@dallasnews.com
    4:04 pm on February 12, 2013 | Permalink

Since the conclusion of the 2012 season the Cowboys have hired four new offensive position coaches.

Garrett says despite good production the last six years he’s hoping those additions will give the Cowboys a chance to “break through.”

“If you look at the cumulative statistics that typically NFL teams evaluate their offense or their defense or special teams by, we’ve ranked fourth in offense over the past six years,” Garrett said in an interview that was posted recently on the team’s official website. “We’ve ranked seventh in scoring. We’ve thrown the ball more than we’ve run the ball. We’re fourth in passing. We’re 22nd in running the football. So you look at those things and say, ‘Boy, a lot of that stuff is pretty good.’ And you say, ‘OK, we want to build on that stuff. We want to continue down the track with our offensive football team.’

“But having said that, this is an opportunity to add some people, add some influence to our offense, and hopefully as a tweak for us, they can help us get a little bit better and they can help us break through as a football team. So, that’s really the approach right now. We want to stay on the same track. But also we want to add coaches to our staff that can really help us break through.”

The interview on DallasCowboys.com is one of the few Garrett has done since the significant changes have taken place on his coaching staff.

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...oaches-can-really-help-us-break-through.html/
  2. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,530 Messages
    2,094 Likes Received
    13-3?
  3. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,173 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    19 - 0
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,093 Messages
    4,015 Likes Received
    Our OL is garbage, and our DL is garbage. We've got no Safeties. We need to cut our starting WR. Our RB is always hurt, we have no play calling, and our coach ices his own kicker. Our QB chokes. We're a laughingstock, and we'll finish with the worst record imaginable: 8-8. Jerry Jones.
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,577 Messages
    3,442 Likes Received
    Yep, I think you hit all the bullet points..
  6. Idgit

28,093 Messages
    4,015 Likes Received
    I'd respond to this, but I don't understand what it means.
  7. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,199 Messages
    1,329 Likes Received
    Our D line is not garbage as it is better then our O line which is garbage.

However that is damning with faint praise
  8. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,815 Messages
    2,907 Likes Received
    We can be flippant and sarcastic all we want...but the fact remains is when we average out the last ten seasons we are around a .500 team...and we were one last year as well.

THAT needs to change and changing some of the things you were being sarcastic about is going to have to happen if we want to change that .500 average.

Just because we don't like some of the complaints and bullet points, just because we don't want to hear it or even agree with it...it does not mean there is not truth in it/them.
  9. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    :lmao: HOF post
  10. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,345 Messages
    365 Likes Received

The tug boat lost his bow.
  11. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,073 Messages
    685 Likes Received
    Yes, they need to get better.
  12. Idgit

28,093 Messages
    4,015 Likes Received
    If only we had a thread topic that said, basically, 'we do a lot of things well on offense, but the fact remains that there are things that need to change for us to improve, and some of those things involve the changes we've made here to the offensive staff." :)

And note, I didn't start the sarcasm or the flippancy. I replied in kind. I actually relish complaints and bullet points, when they're valid complaints, or when there's even a basic attempt to support them. But I'll wager CL himself didn't intend his one-liner to be taken seriously or responded to seriously. He was making a snide joke. To which I replied with a sarcastic response. I'd hope there's room for that sort of back-and-forth in between the legitimate discussions. We can all do with a bit of not-taking-ourselves-too-seriously around here this offseason.
  13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,530 Messages
    2,094 Likes Received
    Correct and correct...

My real point, which I know won't be well received, is that Jason sure is giving himself a lot of credit here, and citing stats to make himself look better... Which people used to kill Wade Phillips for.

But with Garrett, of course, it's okay. I just find that strange.
  14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,598 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    We won the bye week...oh wait.
  15. Idgit

28,093 Messages
    4,015 Likes Received
    Well, I might surprise you then in saying I completely agree with you. I'd heard the interview with Mickey this came from a day or so ago, and thought he came off as defensive. Maybe it's part of the rolling review he does every off season, but it sounds like he's defending his record and his pride in advance of handing over the play calling duties, to me. He'd have been better off leaving that stuff unsaid and just acknowledging the position coach changes were an attempt to get better. Let Jerry, Stephen, Callahan support his historic performance.
  16. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    One of yor best post ever.
  17. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,133 Messages
    752 Likes Received
    No we didn't. Matt Johnson pulled a hammy that week I think! :D
  18. Wolfpack

2,598 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    Thats what a confident man would have done.

Jason looks scared and is very defensive (ala Wade) in a passive-agreeisve way. That's not a man in charge of his own destiny.
  19. Wolfpack

2,598 Messages
    356 Likes Received
    I think the whole team pulled some ham that week.

:)
  20. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,685 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    If nothing had changed about our offense over the past six years, then maybe taking the average from that time period would be worth something.

In 2012, we were sixth in total yards (good), but 15th in points per game (not so good). We were 31st in rushing offense (terrible) and tied for 27th in rushing TDs.

Hopefully, Garrett is looking at the reasons why three of those four things were pretty bad instead of focusing on six-year aggregates and the "pretty good" stuff Dallas has done in that time period.