1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: George Chat Wrap: Here's the Cowboys' strongest and weakest positions - 06/19/13

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 20, 2013.

1. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,977 Messages
    364 Likes Received
    Wow..............and I even dumbed it down.

Sorry, I can't type in tard.
  2. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

10,977 Messages
    364 Likes Received
    He was mentioning something about a 'point'?

The 'gang up on a poster' style is so 1990's.

Raise your bar, dude...........
  3. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,220 Messages
    614 Likes Received
    Did we upgrade the roster? Yes.

Will it produce results this year? Donno nobody does.:star:
  4. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

518 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    I believe they only upgraded (added additional starters) is at Center although there is no proof until Sept/Oct. It's easy to upgrade at such a poorly played position from last year.
    The only other way they "upgraded" was by getting healthy again at RB, LB Safety and WR so give cred since they also helped their depth and we'll certainly need it.
    I agree that there are still major question marks on the rest of the OLine and lets hope that one or two of these JAGs will have a break through. I'm still not sold on Smith as an "All Pro" which is what some are trying to tout.
    If your looking for upgrades in the trenches, we have only 1 that I can see which is Fredricksn.
    Looking at it holistically and optimistically we have upgraded at coaching for sure and I hope that helps both O and D lines to be more functional.
    We'll see.
  5. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,617 Messages
    1,428 Likes Received
    I'll say it again for.........like the 5 year in a row - this team goes as far as the OL will allow it too.
  6. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,133 Messages
    1,019 Likes Received
    :signmast:
    Second!
  7. DenCWBY

DenCWBY Active Member

518 Messages
    59 Likes Received
    Ouch!! If that's the case, we may be in for a long year.
    Often said the team goes as far as Romo goes. Romo goes as far as our run game goes. Our run game goes as far as our Oline goes. If Romo starts feeling the heat of no run game, he'll be ducking and dodging for his life all season.
    It's true a run game can be created with a good passing game but we'll still depend on a productive Oline either way.
    Then you can start getting into the coaches calling the right plays and putting the right player on the field to make plays....blah blah blah.
    The key to all of this is that if we have an AWESOME defense, non of the above matters as much.
    I'm done, good night. :bang2:
  8. AsthmaField

AsthmaField Outta bounds

9,986 Messages
    1,153 Likes Received
    I'm sorry bro... but anyone saying that Frederick isn't an upgrade at C and that Durant isn't an upgrade at SOLB in Kiffin's scheme, and Terrence Williams/Beasley/Harris isn't an upgrade over Beasley/Harris and that Escobar isn't an upgrade over Phillips, and that Wilcox/Allen isn't an upgrade over Sensebaugh simply hasn't been paying attention or isn't great at talent evaluation.
  9. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,270 Messages
    476 Likes Received
    Whew! Now I feel better.
  10. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    I see his point. One starter drafted and the rest will be back-ups for a while, maybe lifetime back-ups or cut. There is some down the road potential, but that don't upgrade this year.
  11. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,133 Messages
    1,019 Likes Received
    His point is that the rookies receive an 'Incomplete' grade until they show they can play and contribute.

Not busts, not definite upgrades, just unknowns until they play at the NFL level.

Everybody hopes they work out, but it's never a given.
  12. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,241 Messages
    327 Likes Received
    I think his point was that most Dallas moves came in draft and that is crap shoot at best. We will know by about game 6 if this is same team as last year.
  13. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,014 Messages
    1,579 Likes Received
    FA tends to be a crap shoot as well. Heck Philly went from a Dream Team to an over priced nightmare that cost their coach his job after their little spending spree a couple years ago.
  14. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,577 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Glad I read the entire thread before I replied. Well-said, Dooms.

I'll just add that I'd much rather see my team built through good drafting and the addition of quality UDFA's than by piling on a bunch of high-priced retreads. So far, I like the young guys Garrett has added to the team. I think you're going to see a bunch of first and second year players contribute significantly to the 2013 Dallas Cowboys, whether they "start" or not.