1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN Goose Blog: Aikman and Wright Canton Parties (who showed up)

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 6, 2006.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,302 Messages
    3,178 Likes Received
    Troy Aikman and Rayfield Wright both held their Hall of Fame parties at the same golf course Saturday night. Pat Green performed at the Aikman party, and the Temptations performed at Wright's party.

The two parties produced a Cowboys pictorial: Roger Staubach, Mel Renfro, Thomas Henderson, Gil Brandt, Larry Lacewell, Daryl Johnston, Nate Newton, a very lean Mark Stepnoski, Michael Irvin, Emmitt Smith, Jay Novacek, Dale Hellestrae, Bill Bates, Kevin Gogan, Jason Garrett, Jerry Jones, Norv Turner, Dave Wannstedt, Butch Davis... Very impressive showing by the Cowboys alumni following an equally impressive showing by Cowboys fans at the stadium for the induction ceremony.

Posted by Rick Gosselin [IMG] at 10:30 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (1)

Tim Cowlishaw Hall of Fame report

More from Cowlishaw:

Many violations of the "Not Over 30'' jersey rule... as in "If you are over 30, you don't wear jerseys with players' names in public.''

But we will waive that rule today. There were the obvious Aikman and Reggie White jerseys in attendance, but here are the jerseys that left me scratching my head:

Giants' Jessie Armstead
    Eagles' Jon Runyan, Chad Lewis and Harold Carmichael
    Packers' Dorsey Levens
    Colts' Dwight Freeney.
    And, of course, Twins' Joe Mauer.

...From the Really Awkward Man Hug Dept.: Like most football writers, I had a good relationship with Nate Newton during his playing days. Like most, I had no relationship with Charles Haley.

I had just started chatting with Newton at the pre-ceremony brunch when Haley burst into the group. Next thing I knew, some woman was taking a picture of me sandwiched between Newton and Haley, my arms draped around their shoulders. If this was awkward for me, I can't imagine what Haley made of it.

And, hopefully, this picture will not turn up.

...I have a problem with Harry Carson and his whole attitude toward the Hall. During his speech, he finally said for the first time he was excited to be inducted. And he mentioned that a longtime Giants writer, Vinny DiTrani, had encouraged him to say that the night before.

Carson was an excellent linebacker but he was no shoo-in for the Hall. His waiting 12 years to be inducted is no more an injustice than Rayfield Wright waiting 22 years or Chiefs receiver Otis Taylor still waiting. Get over yourself, Harry.

...John Madden's TV act wore thin years ago, but he was funny in his speech Saturday. He explained what he thinks happens at night when the Hall of Fame is closed.

"All the fans and visitors leave, then there's just the workers. Then the workers start to leave. It gets down to just one person. That person turns out the light, locks the door.

I believe (then) that the busts talk to each other. All my ex-players, we will all be there forever and ever talking about whatever. That's what I think is going to happen and no one is ever going to talk me out of that,'' he said.

Posted by John Banks [IMG] at 8:57 PM (E-mail this entry) | Comments (0)
  2. RatisBeast

RatisBeast Chevy Guy

1,722 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good choice in music by Troy...Pat Green frickin rocks
  3. ZeroClub

ZeroClub just trying to get better

7,619 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Otis Taylor isn't in? That's bizarre. He was a great player.
  4. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,146 Messages
    2,747 Likes Received
    I admit I am a repear offender. So what?