1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: Gosselin: Despite loss, I was shocked Cowboys' defense rose to occasion against Eagles

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Jan 1, 2014.

1. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,245 Messages
    4,187 Likes Received
    Gosselin: Despite loss, I was shocked Cowboys' defense rose to occasion against Eagles
    Catch SportsDay On Air twice per week on Fox Sports Southwest, when Dallas Morning News experts discuss hot sports topics from the Cowboys, Mavericks, Stars, Rangers, high schools and colleges (check our TV listings for air times). Here is a highlight from Monday's episode featuring Rick Gosselin and Evan Grant:

On if you were surprised the Dallas Cowboys were in the position to win their Sunday-night game against the Philadelphia Eagles late in the game?

Gosselin: “I was shocked at how the defense played. I didn’t think this defense could stop anybody. I think that defense rose up. I thought it’d be close. I think I picked a 6-point score in the paper. I thought it would be closer than most people would have guessed, but I never saw this defense playing like that.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...s-defense-rose-to-occasion-against-eagles.ece
  2. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,570 Messages
    816 Likes Received
    I was more shocked that we lost that game, although I know that I shouldn't have been...
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    gotta agree that I never thought the D would play that well
    visionary likes this.
  4. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

11,091 Messages
    1,371 Likes Received
    With each next 3 and out, I started to get a little peeved, .. wondering "where has this been all year long?" LOL

But seriously, I was surprised and pleased that the defense rose up, .. even to the point that they got into Fole's head with the pressure and knocking him around.
  5. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,366 Messages
    970 Likes Received
    5 sacks also, after a long drought. Too bad the offense and coach blew the thing!

We could be sitting here talking about how NO is going to crush us right now instead what fake coaches we are bringing in to mask the insufiencies of our green HC.
  6. dogunwo

dogunwo Waves that make you sea-sick

5,566 Messages
    266 Likes Received
    Collinsworth was spot on when he identified that Foles takes his eyes completely off of downfield when he has some pressure. I wonder if our coaches picked up on that and blitzed more thinking our suspect secondary would be in the clear.
    jobberone likes this.
  7. Vintage

Vintage The Cult of Jib

13,163 Messages
    864 Likes Received
    I think having Carr feeling better from the flu and having Claiborne back in the lineup gave the coaches more options in regards to blitzing.
  8. jobberone

38,245 Messages
    4,187 Likes Received
    Both on the nosy!
  9. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Well-Known Member

4,367 Messages
    225 Likes Received
    Serious question: I am average Joe and I get a free flu shot through my company every year. One would think the Cowboys have their players get a flu shot. You know, being the high revenue generator that they are, providing a free flu shot might be a drop in the bucket. I never understood players coming down with the flu. If the team doesn't pay for a shot, they make enough to get one on their own.
  10. Next Years Champ

Next Years Champ Active Member

503 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    Yes..

The corner play was the best all year.

And those are no slouch TE/WRs on the Iggles, either
  11. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    the fans are happy we gave up 24 points? I was hoping for 3 like last time.
  12. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,781 Messages
    1,173 Likes Received
    The flu shot doesn't necessarily prevent you from getting the flu. Too many strains.
    Boyzmamacita likes this.
  13. 1LoyalCowboyFan

1LoyalCowboyFan Active Member Zone Supporter

633 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    That is correct. Studies are made and each year the flu shot is different. They take into account the strains they expect that year to go around and design the flue shot to help combat most. On top of that, most people confuse the common cold with the flu. You definitely can still get pretty sick and not have the flu.

Source: Girlfriend works at hospital on the business side. She is pretty upset I never get my flu shot.
  14. jobberone

38,245 Messages
    4,187 Likes Received
    Unless allergic to it then get it.
  15. WV Cowboy

11,091 Messages
    1,371 Likes Received
    I used to never get a flu shot either, .. but when my grandson was born (3 yrs ago) they suggested that I get one since I would be around him.

No big deal, .. I would do anything for him. So I have had one each year since.
    1LoyalCowboyFan likes this.
  16. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,014 Messages
    455 Likes Received
    Could have been 31. That 4th and goal from the 1 inch line was amazing.
    theSHOW likes this.
  17. WV Cowboy

11,091 Messages
    1,371 Likes Received
    Then you have not been paying attention.

The Iggles are a way better team now than when we played them earlier, .. and Foles is a waaaay better QB than when we played them previously.

Their offense has been explosive, ... our defense was solid.
  18. theSHOW

theSHOW Benched

3,490 Messages
    1,146 Likes Received
    Yes, the 3 point example was made in jest. 24 points was pretty darn good considering what our defense had been. The striking part that bothered me about this was that we lost the game and sadly, it is like a death in the family. I need more time before I celebrate anything that is part of the death of the 2013 season.
  19. WV Cowboy

11,091 Messages
    1,371 Likes Received
    It's OK to acknowledge that the defense played well, .. and nobody will accuse you of celebrating the loss.
  20. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,883 Messages
    8,981 Likes Received
    The effectiveness of each year's flu shot is based on how accurate the projection is on which strain will be prevalent that year. They are making an educated guess.
    WV Cowboy likes this.