1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Gosselin: Why Cowboys made a mistake drafting Demarcus Lawrence

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, May 19, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

25,111 Messages
    190 Likes Received
    On the Cowboys drafting DeMarcus Lawrence:

Gosselin: "I cant give up a premium pick in a third rounder to move up in the second round. I have a tough time moving up from the second to the first to get a guy. the first three rounds are premium rounds and should be walk in starters on an average team. The Cowboys traded two of those starters for one. They told us last week that Lawrence probably wont start as he gets his strength up. He will be a designated pass rusher. I have a real problem with that move. He is going to have to elite player and double digit sack guy for along time to make up the fact they gave up two starters for him."

Fraley: "This guy isnt going to come close to replacing DeMarcus Ware. Thats a pipe dream. I would have taken Jeffcoat."

Continue reading...
    Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2014
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,867 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    Fraley would've taken Jeffcoat...the same Jeffcoat that nobody else took in the draft. Mmhmm...

Also, I thought Goose liked the Cowboys draft.
    Randy White, Kaiser, Phoenix and 9 others like this.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,976 Messages
    3,184 Likes Received
    Someone is on some serious Jeffcoat infatuation.
    KDM256 and cowboyschmps3 like this.
  4. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,620 Messages
    1,103 Likes Received
    I understand Goose’s reasoning. But at the same time you can’t just draft players in the 2nd and 3rd round and say, “okay you’re our starters”. Those players may not be a great scheme fit. Or maybe those players are decent in the scheme but don’t have the impact of the player that you REALLY wanted.

We’ve seen before that a bunch of ‘B’ players is not as great as having a handful of ‘A+’ players. So if the philosophy was that Lawrence is an A+ player, then you sacrifice taking the two B players for that opportunity.

It's the riskier option. But it's not the wrong option.
  5. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,237 Messages
    1,822 Likes Received
    Yeah, Fraley looked the fool with that comment. At least Gosselin said he'd have used one of the 7ths for Jeffcoat. I have no issue with that.

As for the trade, like the Claiborne trade, I can't say I liked it.
    But if Lawrence turns out to be outstanding in a year or two, all is fine.
    AmishCowboy likes this.
  6. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Active Member

945 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    You know hating something gets more hits than liking it. They would never openly admit to liking it.
  7. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,490 Messages
    759 Likes Received
    I agree with Goose (for once) about giving away prime picks.

If Lawrence does not start and generate constant pressure from wherever he lines up, it will have been a wasted deal. That 3rd rounder could have helped this year and been a significant piece long term.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,645 Messages
    4,521 Likes Received
    Three premium walk in starters? Jeffcoat in round two? Please. These guys aren't even shy about embarrassing themselves publicly, are they?

I don't live in Dallas. Does anybody there take them seriously?
  9. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,481 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    We can pick him up when they cut him or put him on PS
    Afigueroa22 and NJ22 like this.
  10. NJ22

NJ22 Well-Known Member

1,099 Messages
    862 Likes Received
    Lol. You beat me to it. I understand the mindset of not wanting to give up a 3 but as much as I beat the Jones crew up for never getting adequate value in their trades I am with them on this one. I felt the same way they did that their #1 hole was RDE and after failing to fix it in free agency they really needed to address it in the draft. After D-Law there is quite a drop IMO and in their opinion. Sure they could have traded down in rd one and got him AND a pick but I will take Martin and Dlaw over Dlaw and a 2 and 2-3s. I just think we have finally made this oline a staple for the next 7 years. You can do a lot when you have at least one unit to hang your hat on. We may finally have that in this oline. Now I will say I would be feeling REALLY happy if we got DLaw and he was rotating with Jared Allen but it is what it is.
    ConstantReboot likes this.
  11. guag

guag Right Kind of Guy

5,248 Messages
    755 Likes Received
    All this BS about Jeffcoat is because of his family name. Does anyone else really think that the other 31 teams have been talking about Jeffcoat this much?
    ringmaster and cowboyschmps3 like this.
  12. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,160 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    Since we now know thanks to Stephen Jones, that they would have taken Trai Turner in the 3rd, I have my doubts he would have started this year. We know Martin starts at ROG, because JJ has made it clear in the past that he expects 1st rounders to start. Do we really think that we would start 2 rookie guards in 2014.

I like Turner and think he will be a good guard, but I'm sure he would start in 2015, not 2014 for the Cowboys. Unless of course an injury occurs. So to say the top 3 rounds should be players that are walk in starters for an average team is a bit premature.
  13. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,160 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    Exactly and Goose will look real foolish if Seattle releases him.
    guag likes this.
  14. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,544 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    Comments like Gosselin really baffles the mind. I wish I could be as ineffective as he and still get paid to do my job.
    Fletch, AmishCowboy and Idgit like this.
  15. guag

guag Right Kind of Guy

5,248 Messages
    755 Likes Received
    Plain and simple, if Dallas wanted him they would have him. Either in the draft, or making a run at him afterwards. I see no indication that we've made an effort to do either of those.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,645 Messages
    4,521 Likes Received
    I get criticizing the trade up. I didn't live it either. But at least make the criticism believable.
  17. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,544 Messages
    226 Likes Received
    Yep and I hate the fact that the mediots act like Ware was healthy last two years with 40 sacks. They completely gloss over the fact that our d line was a piecemeal mess littered with coachpotatoes and bagboys. This year's DL should have quality depth that we can attack in waves with. We won't have any prowbowlers but we don't need any.

I use to hate seeing a gassed Ware because we were too afraid to sub. This year we will be better because we will have younger, hungrier, and coachable lineman that will platoon without any qualms about playing time.
    Kaiser, BigStar, TheXFactor and 2 others like this.
  18. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,481 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    I would've like too get him I was hoping he would come here and get a shot but there was a reason why we didn't and I'm happy with the players we got, like I said earlier, ok if they release him or out him on PS he was totally not ready, if they keep him well maybe the SB champs found something I guess.
    guag likes this.
  19. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,256 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    I wasn't happy with Dallas trading away the 3rd round pick. But Goose just makes himself looks ridiculous with those comments. Your top three picks should be walk in starters? Goose should've been around the league long enough to know that that doesn't happen very often for any team. If that is his expectation out of the draft, no wonder he is so sour so often.

It reminds me of his "they don't have enough money to pay their draft picks" comment from last year. A legit criticism is one thing, but that's just stupidity.

Fraley made himself looks sillier than Goose, which took some doing.
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,706 Messages
    3,203 Likes Received
    It's worse than that. they BOTH said they would have taken Jeffcoat.