1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: Jerry Jones has lots of voices in his head — it's method, not madness

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,923 Messages
    5,574 Likes Received
    One criticism of Jerry Jones is that he allows too many voices to rattle around in his head, that the last bit of information the Dallas Cowboys owner solicits carries an inordinate amount of weight in his decision.

He hears you.

Jones recently set aside time to discuss his management style and the difficult balancing act between owner and general manager. He’s not as intrusive and overbearing as most portray, although Jones admits he’s taken a more active role these last two years with head coach Jason Garrett. He concedes he listens to those outside the organization more than most general managers and wrestles with whether he collects too many opinions.

“I may ask for, I may listen to, too many voices,” Jones said before he left for the NFL Annual Meetings, which begin Monday in Orlando, Fla. “Is it the last guy that gets to you? How does it work?”

The approach doesn’t vary. Jones hires people with a proprietary interest, demands they dig in and tell him what he doesn’t know.

“I’m less afraid of asking a dumb question than probably most general managers are,” Jones said. “In fact, I’ll ask it naively and dumb. I don’t mind sounding dumb because I’m not worried about the person thinking, ‘What the hell he’s talking about?’

“I did my best work with the Cowboys when I didn’t mind sounding stupid asking the question. That was early.”

As owner, Jones likes to say he must take in the view from 50,000 feet. But it’s the general manager who sits in the room the Monday after a game with the coaching staff and dissects what was good and what was bad.

This is where Jones wonders if he needs to be more critical. As general manager, he understands what went wrong and often accepts the explanations for a loss. As owner he would be more inclined to sit back in judgment and declare it unacceptable.

"People ask, ‘Have you changed what you’re doing over the last few years?’” Jones said. “The last couple of years I’ve had more involvement than probably any time in my career relative to the nuances.

“These are not negatives about Jason. In no way is it a negative.”

“To me, that’s frankly being what I’ve been accused of being too much of for the past 15 years. Yes, I’ve changed. What people actually thought I was before, now I am.”

“The real world is I’ve always used my advisers,” Jones said. “Scouts, coaches, they’re your advisers to the ultimate decision.

“I’m harder on scouts and personnel people. I don’t want an opinion from anybody. Show me why you’re saying it. Show me the facts, show me details, show me reasons why. And if you need to show me three players to show me what the one does, show me.

“I probably have less show-me in personnel with coaches than I do scouts. But I weigh what the scout says more than the coach.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...ices-in-his-head--it-s-method-not-madness.ece
    khiladi likes this.
  2. Risen Star

19,923 Messages
    5,574 Likes Received
    This is some scary bleep.

I'm just thankful he's content on being a figurehead or it could be much worse.
  3. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,084 Messages
    168 Likes Received
    It's truly cringe worthy.

I wish i could put any positive spin on it, our GM who doesn't mind asking the 'stupid' questions, like;

'what makes him a good player?' and
    'what makes the player you want a better choice than the one he wants?' (because if you are more persuasive or currently in favor you get more points) and
    'what's a 3 tech and why do we need one?' that sort of thing.

I'm exaggerating of course but we are really fighting against the current, there is no doubt.
  4. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,128 Messages
    750 Likes Received
    I pulled three things from this article which was a great read in the mind of the powerful Oz.

1. Jerry seems like he knows he screwed up listening to the old cronie Lacewell when he told him to hire Kiff.
    2. Garrett really is in the Enterprise Rental Car Management training program.......sigh.
    3. Jerry agrees that while productive stats wise, the offense has been a mess and he's finally doing something about it, meaning JG can't coach it right.

Very good read. And I'm actually excited about Linehan hire, not because of Linehan the PC, but the change and outside voice.
    khiladi, Duane, Nirvana and 1 other person like this.
  5. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

1,549 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    We aren't winning big for a long time unfortunately.
  6. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

17,141 Messages
    1,025 Likes Received
    “I did my best work with the Cowboys when I didn’t mind sounding stupid asking the question. That was early.”

This comment speaks loudest to me.

It says to me that things worked best when Jerry knew what he didn't know and left the football decisions to the football people (Jimmy Johnson).

In my opinion, as Jerry got more comfortable and thought he knew more, things got more uncomfortable between he and Johnson, and the results keep getting worse.
    JBond, Zordon, guag and 5 others like this.
  7. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,344 Messages
    364 Likes Received
    “I don’t hate the world and moan and groan because we’ve been 8-8 the last three seasons. But I’ll tell you this, I don’t gloat around here either.

“And that’s a change.”

Why....really....strange....if there really is a change, would you admit the 8-8 gloating ever happened?
    Zordon and Air Force One like this.
  8. Manster54

Manster54 Active Member

853 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    I used to think Jerry Jones had a certain bumpkin charm. Now I just can't stand him. He is an embarrassment.
  9. Risen Star

19,923 Messages
    5,574 Likes Received
    More and more people are joining me on my side of the fence. I've been shouting to the world this man's insane for nearly two decades now.

Here's the long and short of the article and his message - Jerry: I've decided what this team needs is more me.
  10. coult44

coult44 Well-Known Member

1,384 Messages
    638 Likes Received
    And people defend this clown!!!
    Air Force One likes this.
  11. Dodger12

Dodger12 Well-Known Member

2,003 Messages
    555 Likes Received
    I was going to quote that part of the article but you beat me to it. You must have studied foreign languages in college because you gave a heck of a translation to the Jones speak? Well done stash......
    JBond and Air Force One like this.
  12. Risen Star

19,923 Messages
    5,574 Likes Received
    BTW, to all the people who claim Jerry doesn't scout, as obviously ridiculous as that notion is since every GM on the planet scouts, read his own words. Show me, scouts. I want to see the film. I want to see it for myself. He's scouting.
    AmberBeer and Air Force One like this.
  13. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

1,549 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    Man I would love being an eagle or giant fan with my chief rival having this guy run the franchise. Unfortunately we are all cowboy fans and it is really tough knowing that there isn't much hope.
  14. Dodger12

2,003 Messages
    555 Likes Received
    Jerry did his best work when Jimmy made a trade and Jerry asked later who that player was.
  15. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,128 Messages
    750 Likes Received
    That quote IMO has more to do with the redhead. But he did hire the fool, so it's on him as well. The redhead can't coach, and the GM can't manage. We're doomed. :(
    khiladi and Air Force One like this.
  16. Risen Star

19,923 Messages
    5,574 Likes Received
    There hasn't been a more correct post in the history of this board.
  17. Dodger12

2,003 Messages
    555 Likes Received
    @staheroo Please translate what our figurehead is trying to say.
  18. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,344 Messages
    364 Likes Received
    From the horses mouth, the only GM in the History of Sports that gloats about going .500 and who obviously doesn't Scout his own Draft choices....just wow man, did that just happen, whoa your horses and get some boots on.
  19. Risen Star

19,923 Messages
    5,574 Likes Received
    Well he's right when he says coaches and scouts are your advisors. That's why it's so important to have a quality GM. He's the guy who makes the decisions. The quality of the information handed him can only do so much. The guy with the vision and foresight to build a winning team is the GM. Not Tom Ciskowski. Not Will McClay. Not even, dare I say it?, God Marinelli.
    JBond, Common Sense and Air Force One like this.
  20. Manster54

Manster54 Active Member

853 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    I understand your point, but I could never wish to be an Eagles fan. We have Danny Boy to laugh at and the Eagles empty trophy case. The Giants I truly respect.