1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: Jerry Jones has lots of voices in his head — it's method, not madness

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Mar 22, 2014.

1. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    Also, I'd like to add, in the meantime, we've had a newly signed free agent (Henry Melton) come out and say that Jerry wasn't involved in the contract negotiation at all and this thread is still going.

Interesting to see if those who championed Henry Melton's signing will change their story now. My guess is no.
  2. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,863 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    Jimmy had a lot of choice selection slots. That is true. And when he came into the league the rest of the GMs thought he was a rube and could be fleeced. The Mike Lynn raping on the Walker deal woke the league up to how shrewd Jimbo was.

As far as the announcers. They surely had boots on the ground with Dallas and had spoken to all the significant people in the organization.

So many times people here reject the media because they say something that doesn't suit people.

I'd suggest they know more than the collective wisdom of this board. Note Jerry didn't correct them either.
  3. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,596 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    Have you ever noticed that when the Cowboys change coordinators it's because they don't know what they're doing but when other teams do the same thing it's because they're trying to find the right guy to utilize the players they have and get the most out of them. Garrett is the only coach I've ever seen "Lose control" of the offense, all other coaches just try to find the right guy.
    WPBCowboysFan likes this.
  4. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

5,863 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received
    Have you noticed other teams allow the head coach to dictate his staff for the most part but Dallas does not and Jerry hires them?

Wonder why that is?
  5. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,328 Messages
    1,645 Likes Received
    Well, you know its different in Big D - Garrett is still in training so it must be that he doesnt know what he's doing.
  6. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    It's not a literal "there is no plan." There's little question that what you and others like to allude to -- I'll call it the "Garrett Plan" -- does not exist any longer. The Cowboys are probably in their 10th iteration of "a plan" since Garrett came to town. And it's certainly not being run by Garrett. I sincerely doubt the "Garrett Plan" included three different offensive coordinator/playcallers, and three different defensive coordinators in three seasons.

When you don't have a well-defined plan, it's closer to no plan than it is to the high esteem you Garrett-huggers give his plan.
  7. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    Every move we make is wrong, every single time. If other teams make the same move, it is right. Every single time. Don't dare compare the Cowboys to the best teams in the NFL. Really don't compare them to the worst teams because it shows how far we have fallen. Just don't compare them. Don't compare the players. No comparisons allowed.

If they somehow silence the critics and win it all, watch the gears strip, but don't tell anyone they have stripped their gears slamming their agenda into reverse. No sir, don't you dare do that.
  8. WPBCowboysFan

5,328 Messages
    1,645 Likes Received
    What I wonder is how you or anyone else knows this to be the case?
  9. WPBCowboysFan

5,328 Messages
    1,645 Likes Received
    So the plan cant change to be better suited to the situation? And why wouldnt Garrett make changes? Nobody here seems satisfied with the results so it would be odd to think the HC would be satisfied with them? Changing something that isnt working as well as it could or should is a good plan in most cases.
  10. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    That's clearly not what the Cowboys do. Jerry had a defense full of guys who had spent their entire NFL career playing the 3-4. Then he brings in Monte Kiffin who is a well-known 4-3 defensive guy. Then, correct me if I'm wrong, but Jerry didn't sign a single free agent along the line to play the new system, and one LB who had played in the 4-3 in the NFL. He didn't draft a single DL and drafted one LB in the 6th round. In what world is that "finding the right guy to utilize the players they have and get the most out of them?"

Anyone remember the upheaval on the defensive roster when Parcells got here and switched to the 3-4? Nothing remotely similar to that happened last off-season.
    tantrix1969 and visionary like this.
  11. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    If you're going to change the plan every year, that's not a plan. That's called winging it, like I said above.
  12. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

2,996 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    "The lunatic is in my head, ha ha ha..." Pink Floyd - The Wall. Jerry must've went to the same concert at the old Texas stadium and took some shrooms.
  13. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,596 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    So your telling me 31 other teams let the head coach hire the staff and the Cowboys don't? The Cowboys have done it both ways and so have other teams.
  14. WPBCowboysFan

5,328 Messages
    1,645 Likes Received
    Or being smart enough and flexible enough to recognize where the plan can be tweaked to allow for better results in a results business. A stringent rigid plan is only good if its applied in an environment that isnt ever changing and evolving.

I know acknowledging this doesnt fit the narrative or agenda . . . . . . . . . .
  15. Aurican

Aurican Active Member

196 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    So Garrett is not the right guy, the one who was the actual offensive coordinator before he took over and was an offensive genius according to some? Now he's trying to find the right guy of his own accord and choosing to brush up on defense instead of calling plays? And all of this was done due to his master plan? Please tell us some more, I enjoy these tales.
    MarionBarberThe4th likes this.
  16. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Just like acknowledging the fact that there is no "Garrett plan" is devastating to your pro-Garrett agenda.

Do you think it was Garrett's idea to step down from playcalling? That will tell me all I need to know.
  17. dreghorn2

dreghorn2 Well-Known Member

1,092 Messages
    181 Likes Received
    Assuming that it was Garretts' idea to no longer call plays, then no longer be active in the game plan, and now to place his focus on the defense is a little naive.
  18. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,350 Messages
    1,989 Likes Received
    you forgot firing his brother

laughable
    dreghorn2 likes this.
  19. MarionBarberThe4th

MarionBarberThe4th Well-Known Member

11,844 Messages
    70 Likes Received
    We change and add coaches bc simple fans need things to point to as a source as optimism . Then when the cowboys still don't win it's b/c of the execution of the plays not the play calls themselves. Or....the devestrimg I juries. How's mike Wiocick working out? Adding any wins?
    It's all to keep fans busy. The cowboys are always .500 b/c Jerry doesn't draft well.
  20. OhSnap

OhSnap Well-Known Member

1,596 Messages
    724 Likes Received
    I don't think any incoming DC would have said "Hey we need to get rid of Spencer and Ware they only had 22 sacks last year and this 4-3 stuff is gonna be way over their heads so lets get us a FA or 2 and a rookie and we'll just start over." Do you really think Parcells woulda gotten rid of the guys that were supposed to start last year? Youd get run outta someones office if you tried that.