1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Jerry Jones: I don't see myself stepping down as GM or retiring any time soon

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Mr Cowboy, Dec 27, 2011.

1. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    ...and people are finally starting to realize it: I hope that place is half full for all the home games: or even a quarter full. ONLY way he'll change folks....it's the ONLY way he'll ever change. Old stubborn SOB is like a wild mustang: gotta break him: not physically of course, but financially.:bang2:
  2. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

18,857 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    I like how you said "Period," but you offer no links, no sources, nothing to support your interpretation. Meanwhile, I give you a quote from a person inside the organization and his assessment of the situation.

Now, I don't think I said Jerry Jones is absolved of any blame. Jones is not your typical owner. Never was. But he's the owner. And Jimmy Johnson knew what he was getting into when he agreed to coach the Cowboys.

Second, I like your "desire to work at FOX Sports" line as if I came up with that one. I didn't first offer that as a reason. YOU DID!
    Please, keep track of your own arguments.

Of course, Jerry had a huge ego. Of course, he wanted credit. So? He bought the team. Jimmy Johnson still made the football decisions. His ego was so huge that he couldn't stomach giving the owner who actually purchased the team with his own money any credit.

Anyway, another quotes from that time period.

Be that as it may, clearly, the way Jones is running the team now is not working. 15 years and just one playoff victory - only the Lions have fewer playoff victories - suggests something's not going well, and Jerry is the one constant.
  3. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

22,293 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received
    http://articles.latimes.com/2010/nov/11/sports/la-sp-nfl-farmer-20101112

It was made at the tail end of last season.

Asking what was going on is far from what happened here.

Have you ever worked for a cheap boss and managed people who were grossly underpaid? Eventually if people outperform their compensation and are disgruntled it is very difficult to deal with, whether the owner is entitled to be cheap or not. Johnson had members of his staff that were paid ridiculously low salaries (Brodsky was getting $56 or something silly). He probably felt underpaid after delivering Super Bowls. Then there was Emmitt Smith's situation.

The whole flap in Orlando was because Jones interrupted a private celebration with Johnson, Ackles and others who were not even with the organization. Jones wanted to be included, they did not like it and Jerry resented it. Then he went and called over every reporter around to vent his anger.

"Boys Will Be Boys" by Jeff Pearlman. It paints a pretty detailed portrait of Jones' paranoia about getting credit and how he was frustrated with it.

Same source as above. That is an excellent account for the divorce and should make anyone understand the dynamics of how Jones was operating at the time.

And BTW, Larry Brown did play for the Cowboys and started under Johnson, so he is just as qualified to speak on what he say as Troy Aikman or anyone else. You have to remember Aikman had a bit more of Jones' ear than most players, so he may also be a little less objective.

The situation was we had an owner that made things unbearable and Johnson indeed could have been motivated by that behavior to get out. Which could fit in with being "run off". He just did it on his own terms because he is far more intelligent than Jones.
  4. yimyammer

yimyammer Well-Known Member

4,348 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    I get a disgusting pit in the bottom of my stomach rehashing the split between Jerry/Jimmy.

Such horrendous stupidity and shallowness from all parties.

:bang2: :bang2: :bang2: :bang2:
  5. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

......that's right: "It's for cowards and LOSERS"

....straight up fact from da Coach....move on.org boys.....concentrate on doing all you can to let the world know JJ is incompetent and needs to go....who cares about the JJ twins? Ancient history: drop it as no one cares.;)
  6. ChopBlock

ChopBlock Benched

808 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I didn't attribute that to you. The point is that is where he ended up when he left Dallas. So do for all the talk about Jacksonville, he didn't go there, he went into broadcasting for two years.

So do you really think the Jimmy, on his own accord, just left the Cowboys and a chance for an unprecedented ThreePeat just to go to FOX Sports for a couple of years? Really?

I agree they both had huge ego's. And if Jerry had just put his aside we could've kept the dynasty going for a little while longer. Instead Jerry had to have it all his way and ran Jimmy out of town and then started demolishing what had been built.

And like you said, 1 playoff win in 15 years does show there is a problem and Jerry is the one constant.
  7. CCBoy

CCBoy Active Member

13,343 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    And if cows really could jump over the moon, they would leave much less in pastures...
  8. tyke1doe

18,857 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    First, thanks for the citation.

Second, I think we're talking past one another. I think my "jocks and socks" comment when Jerry first bought the team is indicative of Jerry's desire to be involved. That right there should have signaled to Jimmy that Jerry wanted to be more than just an owner.
    But being involved doesn't mean he was calling the shots. He just wanted to be consulted because he understand his relationship with Jimmy. Jimmy merely had to indulge him. Jimmy wasn't willing to do that.
    Whether he should have or shouldn't have, Jimmy knew what he was getting into with Jerry. And, whether we like it or not, Jerry is the owner.

From Jimmy's perspective, of course. But I have read other accounts where Jimmy just hated the fact Jerry wanted credited, and Jimmy was unwilling to accommodate him.

So that entitles the employee to basically flip the boss off in front of the staff? :confused:
    Sorry, I still don't see that as an excuse.

Second, with respect to Emmitt Smith's holdout, that's a natural occurrence in the NFL. And that worked itself out, which generally is the case with star players.

A private meeting? :confused:

I don't see anything to suggest a private meeting. If coaches and owners are at an NFL party and they're drinking at a table, I would exactly call that a private meeting. And all Jerry wants to do is offer a toast.

So that requires a snub?

I don't dispute Jerry wanting to get credit. I've been saying that all along. I, however, said Jimmy orchestrated his way out of Dallas. And I believe Jimmy, by his crafty actions, blew things up in such a way that accomplished that.

I'm not Jerry Jones defender overall. But in this case, I place the blame more with Jimmy. Again, it's not like he didn't know who Jerry was. Jerry had already said he wanted to be involved in everything from "jocks to socks."

I merely asked for a citation so I can read Brown's comment in context. If the way you have portrayed Brown's comment fits the context, then I'm willing to concede based on the criteria I have laid out.

Fair enough. I think that satisfies both of our perspectives.

Once again, I'm going to commend a poster (you) for being able to handle a disagreeable topic without resorting to personal attacks, which happens so seldomly on this board.

Well done, good man. :)
  9. tyke1doe

18,857 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    Sigh. :(

Well, let me try to reach agreement with you. I agree that I wish Jerry Jones could be like all the other owners in the league who stay in their boxes and leave the coaching and personnel decisions to guys competent enough to do so.

I really don't know what would have happened had he been like Mr. Rooney in that regard. Maybe I'd like to think that Jimmy still would have left. Maybe that makes it easier to swallow that we had a chance to do something very special (win four Super Bowls in a row).

Be that as it may, I'm just happy we got three out of that arrangement. The last one with Switzer was achieved with the Cowboys on auto-pilot. :laugh2:

Anyway, I enjoyed the discussion. Peace, fellow Cowboy fan. :)
  10. CCBoy

CCBoy Active Member

13,343 Messages
    1 Likes Received

And a fine reply yourself. I was a soldier and NCO for many years. Confrontation on issue was not a liberal privilege on execution. Attitudes were relegated to a problem status, immediately. Some of my responses to more of an antagonism reflects this as well. But I also respect and respond in similar fashion if given the initial respect upon topic.

I have a good appreciation for both brevity and forceful response. But will go into lengthy detail if that aspect hasn't been established. On style, I give a flip as to the chosen manner, as long as a meaning is conveyed.

I look for the message and what emotion that conveys. I could care less on the final nature of life revealed through spell check. But work at removing my own omissions and errors in the meantime.
  11. Alexander

22,293 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received
    They all happened to be at a table, to themselves, when Jones interrupts, offers a toast and everyone there was not interested in listening. These were all former Cowboys employees save Johnson. It is like being among a bunch of former co-workers you know, most of which did not care for the boss and having that boss come over and interrupt. It went over like the proverbial turd in the punch bowl.

It was not just about an innocent toast. It was inappropriate and awkward. Jones was livid that he was not acknowledged and it was his over the top reaction immediately thereafter that led to the imfamous comments that anyone could coach the Cowboys.

Read the book, it will clarify a lot of things about the dynamics.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

18,959 Messages
    4,133 Likes Received
    It is a great read.

I'd imagine it's even a better read if you're an Eagles or Giants fan.
  13. yimyammer

4,348 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    Jerry irks me as much or Moreso than he does anyone else around here, but Jimmy could have set aside some of his ego as well. I think it was ridiculous that Jimmy got so irritated with Jerry bringing in big money guys like that Saudi sheik to show off his team to.

It never needed to get to the point it did if either of them had an ounce of humility and a modicum of communication and conflict resolution skills.

It seems they both realize that now, but its too late to matter now.
  14. yimyammer

4,348 Messages
    56 Likes Received
    which book?
  15. Alexander

22,293 Messages
    2,802 Likes Received
  16. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,131 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    Hard to be reaching and speculating when what he posted are word directly from the mouth of Jimmy Johnson himself.

As for the overall argument here I put blame on both of them. There was more than enough success at that time to go around and given how good a team they had, how special that things could have been with the possibility of winning 3 or 4 in a row, it's stupid beyond belief that these two adults couldn't put their egos aside for the bigger picture.

They're both to blame because they didn't just screw one another they screwed the players and the fans out of a shot at what would have been an absolutely amazing run that simply didn't happen only because these two fools couldn't get out of each others way over who got credit for what.
  17. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,131 Messages
    369 Likes Received

It really is a very good read. I own it and I rather enjoyed it.

I also enjoyed Hell Bent and The Cowboys Season on the Edge (Something like this) by Skip Bayless.
  18. yimyammer

4,348 Messages
    56 Likes Received
  19. yimyammer

4,348 Messages
    56 Likes Received
  20. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,870 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jimmy and Jerry have been playing patty-cake with each other in the press for years. If Jerry really fired him, or if Jimmy quit because Jerry had become intolerable, Jimmy would never say so publicly.

BTW, did you know that Jerry contacted Switzer while Jimmy was still the head coach? Barry let that little nugget slip out during his introductory press conference.