1. Like videos? Check out DirectDamage.com!

News: DMN: Jerry Jones: I don't see myself stepping down as GM or retiring any time soon

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Mr Cowboy, Dec 27, 2011.

1. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

18,732 Messages
    2,285 Likes Received
    Playing with sentiments a little here...as the first question by Barry Switzer, was if Jimmy was still at the Ranch. He intended to talk the two through the ruffled feathers. Jerry said no, that Jimmy had already left...but Barry was the most trusted and proven coach. With even a better winning percentage both in the college ranks and in the NFL, than did even Jimmy Johnson in the two levels.

Jerry went to work to protect his team.
  2. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

28,396 Messages
    8,618 Likes Received
    He was considering Switzer for quite a while. Frightening thought.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

26,084 Messages
    19,552 Likes Received
    Actually, Jerry went to work destroying it.
  4. bbgun

bbgun Benched

27,868 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    And 499 other coaches who could helm the team. :rolleyes:
  5. ChopBlock

ChopBlock Benched

808 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Jerry wanted to bring Switzer on as DC after Wannstedt left, but at least back then he let Jimmy hire his own staff.
  6. ChopBlock

ChopBlock Benched

808 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    But not in regards to why he ended up leaving in March of '94.
  7. ChopBlock

ChopBlock Benched

808 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That we can agree on. :starspin
  8. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

23,865 Messages
    2,797 Likes Received
    I'm going to have to see if my local library carries that book. From the excerpts I've read, I hear it is a very good read.
  9. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

8,923 Messages
    3,227 Likes Received
    actually 500

you forgot that jerry could also do it ;)
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Eh, really? Barry wasn't even a defensive coach. He was an OC before he got the head job at OU and of course was instrumental in installing the wishbone.
  11. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

24,910 Messages
    1,955 Likes Received
    I've read all of those and they're all very good reads.

I see. So Jimmy says something but it's not going to be valid because it doesn't fit?

I'm curious as to why so many people discount the fact that Jimmy has said numerous times that he wanted out and was looking for one as if it didn't happen.

He even talks about it on the Americas Game DVD for the 1993 Superbowl season. I know that people aren't going to try and claim still that he was just being nice to keep Jerry from doing something. Jerry can't do anything to him at this point and hasn't been able to since the day he left.

I've never understood how people just completely discount what Jimmy says on the matter out of some hatred for Jones.

I get not liking Jones. I get blaming him for many things, including his own part in the Jerry/Jimmy split.

But i'm not sure how people just give Jimmy this giant pass for his part in it as well, especially when he admits as much himself, as if he's some sort of poor victim here.
  12. ChopBlock

ChopBlock Benched

808 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Why did he want out?

That's right, because of Jerry.
  13. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,556 Messages
    1,109 Likes Received
    Because Jimmy didn't leave because he was dying to do Fox broadcasts for two years.

He left because he could no longer work with Jerry, who was bristling that Jimmy was getting all of the credit.
  14. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

24,910 Messages
    1,955 Likes Received
    Probably so but that ego problem is just as much a problem of Jimmy as it is Jerry.

Also I can only go by what the man himself says and he said, once again he mentioned it in that video I'm talking about, that it wasn't really as much about Jerry as it was that's his personality and how he does things. He mentioned that he'd never coached anywhere, no matter what the success, for longer than 5 years and had long planned to leave the Cowboys by the end of his 5th year.

In fact he mentioned in the video that he'd marked on his calender the date May 15th 1994, or something of that nature, as the day he'd leave the Dallas Cowboys and then mentioned as it turned out I left a month before I'd planned.

Now yes I know you're going to say "Oh Jimmy just said that." Or you're going to try and find some way to discount waht the man said, in his own words, himself as him trying to be nice to Jerry. I'm sorry but I just don't buy that line of BS. If Jimmy didn't feel that way and didn't want to say that and wanted to say "Oh I left because Jerry is a jerk and he drove me nuts and I couldn't take it anymore" then he would have. He doesn't have to, nor do I believe that he would, walk on egg shells about Jerry Jones cause he's afraid of making Jerry mad.

So, once again, unless I'm going to call the guy a liar for his own explanation of why the breakup happened the way it did then I'm just going to have to take his word for it and give the credit where it's due and that credit belongs to both men equally.
  15. wileedog

wileedog Well-Known Member

10,556 Messages
    1,109 Likes Received
    I know you are not going to believe me, but this is bulloney.. Nobody "plans" to leave a football team in mid-May. You leave in January so the team can find a new coach in time for the draft and you have the time to find another opportunity..

Unless Jimmy purposely was planning to screw Jerry over, he wasn't leaving in May, especially without mentioning it to Jerry.

So yes, I think he is lying. And I think both guys have told some whoppers around this whole fiasco over the years to try and save face for some stupid decisions.

I just blame Jerry more because Jimmy's job description was to build a team and win Superbowls. He was holding up his end of the bargain.

Jerry's job was to help where he could, give Jimmy the resources he needed, and buy a nice trophy case to put all of the Lombardi's in.

One of those guys decided he didn't like the arrangement the way it was, even as it was being historically successful, and his actions caused the breakup.

I don't blame Jimmy, he was doing his job. And if his boss became jealous of the job he was doing and became impossible to work with, its not his fault and I don't blame him for walking away.
  16. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

8,923 Messages
    3,227 Likes Received
    :lmao2: :lmao2:

so the guy who actually did the job and wants the recognition for it, his ego is a problem

but the guy who had nothing to do with it but wants credit for it, his ego is not the problem

got it :rolleyes:

only on CZ is this sort of argument even possible
  17. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

28,396 Messages
    8,618 Likes Received
    Both had ego problems. Jerry Jones wanted credit, Jimmy Johnson resented him wanting the credit because he earned it.

Think of it like a sibling rivalry.

When Cain slays Abel, who do you blame? The insecure one or the achiever?
  18. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

18,732 Messages
    2,285 Likes Received
    Uh, you forgot the part about Cain who was condemned to eternal wandering with a mark.
  19. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

18,732 Messages
    2,285 Likes Received
    The top gets credit, and the Gm is the top of team function. There is no flow chart argument to the contrary. In a good relationship, there is exchange of imput.

But I know of few Generals who look to expand surface area on their own chests so that additional medals may be added. That is naive on chains of command...as well as authority flow charts in an organization.

In a professional community, it's not the attaboys that determine acceptable conduct and who responds to whom.

Jimmy never negotiated to become a GM...so why should he be given those privileges in abstencia.
  20. Royal Laegotti

Royal Laegotti Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!

4,971 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Umm, he didn't need that part of the story to illustrate his point. Once again you swing, you miss!