1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Jerry Jones wants Jason Garrett and coaching staff to be more creative w/Romo

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 19, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,138 Messages
    6,919 Likes Received
    Jerry Jones wants Jason Garrett and coaching staff to be more creative and do a better job of utilizing Tony Romo’s skills
    By David Moore / Reporter
    DavidMooreDMN@gmail.com
    8:01 pm on March 19, 2013 | Permalink

Tony Romo will sign an extension with the Cowboys. Owner Jerry Jones made that clear Tuesday afternoon while taking a break from the NFL meetings. This is not a question. It’s inevitable.

The point Jones wants to emphasize is that the Cowboys must do a better job of utilizing the quarterback’s skills. They must be more creative. This is the charge that faces head coach Jason Garrett and his staff.

Jones is about to sink too much money into Romo for it to be any other way.

“He’s not going to be paid to be a bus driver,’’ Jones said.

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...tter-job-of-utilizing-tony-romos-skills.html/
  2. TheFinisher

TheFinisher Well-Known Member

2,501 Messages
    675 Likes Received
    This is why we're in the dark ages, the Owner telling his Coaches how to use their Quarterback.
  3. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    I don't like the fact that the owner is telling coaches how to use romo but he's right. . What I really don't like is the hc doesn't realize this and it takes the owner to tell him. I figure we will see more hurry up offense which is a good thing. Just sad that our coach couldn't see it
  4. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,415 Messages
    1,024 Likes Received
    With this current regime? Like we are a well oiled machine?

Jerry, or whomever can make any suggestions they want. I agree with Jerry on this one.
  5. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I don't know what more Jerry could want. Garrett told us after the season that the offense has been great. And that he's in the class with Sean Payton and Mike McCarthy.
  6. halcyon

halcyon Member

111 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    As long as the owner keeps betting the future of the team in Tony Romo´s abilities, our beloved Cowboys will keep getting the same results. By now it is evident that

1.-The Cowboys have not invested more resources in the offensive line based on the perceived escapeability of Tony Romo, or at least we can assume this based on the words of the owner.
    2.- Unfortunately, when T. Romo is asked to carry the load (without a potent running game) mistakes such as turnovers in the most critical of times, have ocurred.

Therefore, a strategy based on Tony Romo´s abilities, without strengthening the running game and offensive line of the team is bound to to get the same frustating results obtained lately.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,885 Messages
    7,626 Likes Received
    Breaking news: Jones says Romo not a bus driver. Expects offense to be creative. Quotes spun as explicit criticism of Jason Garrett.
  8. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,573 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Iron Mike

Here's a thought, fix your flipping OL so they can actually execute these imaginative plays you're dreaming about.
  9. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,260 Messages
    68 Likes Received
    Jerry is right in his thinking, Romo is not a bus driver. Jerry and Ihave different views when it comes to OL play. He may believe that we have the O-lineman already on the roster, he may be right I lean that somewhat, but just make sure the OL play is good to great I would make moves to draft some starting oLineman in the draft, even if I had to trade a star player to get extra picks or to move up in draft. Keeping Romo protected is the only way to show Romo is more than a bus driver.
  10. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,139 Messages
    481 Likes Received
    This is poor journalism... Jerry Jones didn't word it that way. Dallas media truly stinks.
  11. Little Jr

Little Jr Well-Known Member

2,731 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    Lol it was a direct quote
  12. Mavericks88

Mavericks88 New Member

14 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I don't think that's an opinion in the wrong. Or "too far out there". It's actually pretty obvious, Romo has never been a Tom Brady. He may not athletically be what he used to be. That that bit of athleticism needs to be utilized.
  13. Ren

Ren Well-Known Member

11,080 Messages
    487 Likes Received
    Dropping him back 50+ times a game to pass is buss driver?

I think Jerry sees all the option QBs coming inn to the league and wants some of that, which would be a horrible idea to try and do with Romo. Romo is fast and elusive but not fast or elusive enough for that
  14. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,622 Messages
    989 Likes Received
    :bow:

Oh god i pray you are right. Romo is the man in the hurry up
  15. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,977 Messages
    2,000 Likes Received
    But during the games i bet your screaming at your tv about how Garrett is handicapping Romo with his conservative game plan.

I know i am. Good for Jerry, throw a bone at Garrett. The guy needs to let the dog loose.
  16. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

15,472 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received

Yet Jones looks at the Cowboys offense the past two seasons and fears it has grown stale.

“I think that is fair,” Jones said.

If the offense has grown stale, is that not the fault of the offensive coordinator? I seriously dont know who else Jerry could be talking about here. Do you think he is saying the Easter Bunny is responsible for a stale offense?

How about we hold Garrett accountable for the job he is suppose to be doing. Jerry goes on and on about how the Skins tailored their offense to fit the skills of RG3 and wonders why we dont do the same thing here in Dallas.

Jerry is flat out saying the offense is stale and we are not tailoring the offense to fit Romo's skills. Is that not the job of the offensive coordinator?

Who exactly is Jerry talking about if not Garrett?
  17. Avenger

Avenger Member

226 Messages
    23 Likes Received

Garrett's utilization of Romo's skills isn't the problem. It's Romo's utilization of them... that needs adjustment (see the last Washington game.).

There's always an excuse for the *Boy Blunder*.

Cut him and be done with it.

[IMG]
  18. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,844 Messages
    2,328 Likes Received

he is, but he is the class idiot, facing the wall in the corner writing "running the ball is an option" on the board 1000 times
  19. zeke87

zeke87 Member

42 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Translation - JJ is getting ready to way overpay for Romo and he needs someone to blame when Romo does not live up to the gazillion dollar contract he just gave him.

Suggestion to JJ - FIX THE OL, pray that Murray stays healthy, and stay the
    h$%^ out of the way and let your coaches coach.
  20. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,770 Likes Received
    I don't see a problem with the Owner/GM saying what he expects out of those he pays to do the job. Jerry is not telling them what plays to call he is telling them what he expect out of them.

Of course anything Jerry says will get ridiculed