1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Keyshawn: Romo has to be Cowboys' leader; Rob Ryan needs to simplify defense

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, May 2, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,227 Messages
    7,055 Likes Received
    JON MACHOTA
    JON MACHOTA The Dallas Morning News
    Special Contributor
    jmachota@dallasnews.com
    Published: 02 May 2012 01:04 PM

As most NFL analysts have said over the past year, assembling a talented roster has never been the reason the Cowboys have missed the playoffs. The popular trend has been to blame their shortcomings on a lack of leadership.

Former Cowboys wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson was the latest to jump on that bandwagon.

During a Wednesday episode of the ESPN NFL show Audibles , Johnson told fellow analysts Steve Young, Herm Edwards and Trent Dilfer that Tony Romo needs to take control of the franchise that has made one playoff appearance in the last four years.

"They have the talent," Johnson said. "There’s no question about the talent. It’s starts with taking control of the locker room. The quarterback, Tony Romo, it’s his football team. He has to decide, ‘I’m the guy on this football team.’ But also, the coaches have to help him out as well."

Read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...leader-rob-ryan-needs-to-simplify-defense.ece
  2. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :horse::horse:
  3. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    What is this world coming to? Keyshawn almost on the verge of making an intellegent statement
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    You know Key for a guy who wrote a book while still playing and trashing teammates you got nerve talking about leadership.
  5. cowboy_ron

cowboy_ron You Can't Fix Stupid

4,234 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    Isn't that what we remember him for is his dynamic leadership?:laugh1:
  6. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Key could be a pian in the butt for QB. It is always easy sitting behind a chair pointing your finger at others
  7. birdwells1

birdwells1 Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,392 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    Messenger :shoot1:
  8. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Messenger? or his own opinion?
  9. birdwells1

3,392 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    Steve Young said it on the same show.
  10. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    and some others have said it as well and that is a view point. They are not in that locker room they are not out at the practice. There are many thing said by the talking heads every day and every pre game and it does not mean jack or do you agree with everything these guys talk about?
  11. birdwells1

3,392 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    No I don't agree with everything but I'm on record as saying that the lack of leadership is the biggest problem this team suffers from. I seen it with Brooking walking on a defense (with Ware and Ratliff) and before the middle of his first season becoming the undisputed leader. I seen it with Ware and Rat seeking leadership advice for Ray Lewis this late in their careers. I seen it with the late season swoons and the performance in do or die games.

Everytime people question the leadership in the lockrroom people run to the players defense as though they have exhibited it. Sometimes I think if Romo himself says he's not a good leader people kill him too.
  12. Doomsday101

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received

Staubach claims Romo is a leader.

People equate success or failure on leadership, I see Ray Lewis mentioned I think he is a great leader so why have the Ravens not made to the SB since 2000 come on all that leadership you would think Ravens were ripping the NFL apart with trophies but that is not the case so what is the deal?

Cowboys have problems they need to resolve and much of that is in talent.

http://sportsblogs.star-telegram.co...-criticism-of-romos-leadership-is-unfair.html
  13. birdwells1

3,392 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    I love Roger (my favorite Cowboy) but he's never uttered a negative word about the Cowboys. The superbowl is not the defining measure of a good season, the Ravens have been in contention every year and that's due mostly because of Lewis's defensive unit. Despite an average offense and a pedestrian qb the Ravens were a chip shot field goal away from going into over time in the AFC Championship game, to me that's a successful season. I wish we had gone that far and with better leadership maybe we will.
  14. PhillyCowboysFan

PhillyCowboysFan Member

838 Messages
    10 Likes Received
    This is getting so old. One thing we all have been hearing is that "they have the talent but no leaders". "Romo needs to step it up". We have been hearing this for 4 or 5 years now. We have the talent. But the same mediots are now saying we shouldn't have given up our second round pick for Mo Clay because we have so many holes to fill. So do we or don't we have the talent. It can't be both!
  15. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Agree. Talking heads say we have the talent but then point out all our holes. Let's be truthful. How many Cowboys starters would start for any other team. I can name them: Romo, Smith, Witten, Bryant, Austin, Murray; on the defense: Ware, Lee, Ratliff, Clairborne (w/o even putting on his uniform) & ST Bailey.
    Now maybe we could also add Free & Spencer & also throw in new FA Carr & Connor. If I've left anybody else out, let me know. Point is we do have some very good to pretty good players, but we alo have too many starters who aren't even adequate. I do think adding Callahan as new OL coach & what his name as secondary coach could significantly improve this team.
  16. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,558 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    I think the leadership is coming around. I've said before that I thought TO sharply dividied the locker room before his departure and there were several key players siding with him...and some where at least somewhat against Romo.
    Garrett has thinned out or even elimainated almost all of that crew and times are changing.

Also, really no offsne to Brooking (and no he was not one of those I was referring to). But just because Brooking yelled, screamed and spit a lot does not mean the defense respected him. He may have inserted himself into a self-proclaimed leadership role, but there is a difference.
    It seems that under his "leadership" the defense was as bad as any of us can remember.
  17. jswalker1981

jswalker1981 Fact > Your Opinion

2,616 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Simplify the defense......or just learn the damn thing. Geez. Apparently Keyshawn forgot about the lockout last year. It's not like Ryan had an entire offseason of teaching these guys the defense. What an idiot. I seriously can't stand him. Him, along with Berman and Carter, are big reasons why I don't watch ESPN Countdown.
  18. birdwells1

3,392 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    I'd have to disagree on Brooking because when he inserted himself into the leadership role in 2009 the defense played as good as I've seen it in some time. Matter of fact we won our first playoff game in 09 under his leadership but after that father time caught up with him.

The question I always ask is if this team had strong leadership its no way Brooking would have been able to take on that role with the Cowboys. He became the leader because there was a leadership void, he saw it and filled it.
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,558 Messages
    2,429 Likes Received
    I think that is probably true.

But I think it is evolving.
    Certainly Lee is becoming a leader.
    Romo is way ahead of where he was 2-3 years ago as well.
  20. birdwells1

3,392 Messages
    507 Likes Received
    I think that it is evolving but not where it needs to be as some would have you think.