1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Monte Kiffin: Cowboys defenders should study Seahawks’ 2012 defense

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 12, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,157 Messages
    6,963 Likes Received
    By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
    jmachota@dallasnews.com
    5:17 pm on February 12, 2013 | Permalink

How will the Dallas Cowboys’ new 4-3 defensive scheme look next season? Monte Kiffin says watch film of the 2012 Seattle Seahawks if you want an example.

During a Monday interview on 105.3 The Fan [KRLD-FM] Cowboys defensive lineman Jason Hatcher said he chatted with Kiffin two-to-three weeks ago about the defensive scheme change the team would be making. Kiffin didn’t confirm where Hatcher would be playing – Hatcher said he thinks it will be at the three-technique tackle position – but advised the 30-year-old to study tape of the Seahawks’ defense.

On Tuesday, Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr said Kiffin gave him the same advice.

“He said the exact same thing,” Carr said on 105.3. “I kind of asked him what our philosophy and what the look of our defense was going to be, and as a prime example he said, ‘Go see Seattle film and you’ll probably learn a lot from those guys and just watch how they move on the field.’ That’s some homework for me to do for the next couple of weeks.”

Carr and Hatcher both mentioned how they liked the aggressiveness that Seattle showed.

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...efenders-to-study-seahawks-2012-defense.html/
  2. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,134 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Well we need a Real Safety then.
  3. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,865 Messages
    2,343 Likes Received
    and a real DL
  4. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

795 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    ... a real direction on Defense, not smoke and mirrors. Something you can see. Something players can figure out what is expected of them because of its elegance and simplicity.

... a real head coach that makes the right decision evolving the offensive and defensive units to become stronger

... a clear Defensive system for which current and future player retention/acquisition can be measured according to clearly defined roles

Finally, the future is filled with hope...
  5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,487 Messages
    3,799 Likes Received
    If Kiffin can get these guys to hustle to the ball as the Seahawks do, that will go a long way in helping this defense and creating turnovers.

Seattle like the Bears has 2 guy on the ball carrier and 1 guy ripping the ball out you don’t hope for turnovers you create them you take the ball away from the offensive player.

When you get guys hustling to the ball good things happen when guys are standing around assuming someone else will make the play then you can forget about it.
  6. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,141 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I really like the physical nature of Seattle's 4-3... They get after it!
  7. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,141 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    I agree... I remember watching the old Bucs defense and you'd see like 3 or 4 guys gang tackling and causing turnovers!
  8. mmillman

mmillman Well-Known Member

2,153 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    Seattle makes it work with 3 pro bowlers and hitters in their secondary. Dallas doesn't have that kind of talent in the secondary. Dallas might have an edge on the pass rush.

I like the idea of Spencer and Ware rushing the QB every passing down. It was frustrating to watch Ware and Spencer too often drop back in coverage and no pressure put on the QB.
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Sherman was a 6th round draft pick and Browner was an undrafted free agent who had spent 4 years playing in the playing in the Canandian Football League. Maybe these guys weren't widely considered all world talents in the NFL before they came to Seattle's system.

It's kinda interesting to me that Kiffin mentioned Seattle rather than Chicago. Seems like Dallas plans to utilize the more evolved Gus Bradley version of the Tampa defense than the old fashioned vanilla Lovie Smith version
  10. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    The only secondary edge they have is Earl Thomas at safety.
  11. koolaid

koolaid Drink Me

1,768 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    I think Richard Sherman is the best corner in the NFL right now.
  12. ManicDepressiveMan

ManicDepressiveMan Member

753 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

Every starter in their secondary is superior to ours.

Sherman > Carr

Browner > Claiborne

Thomas > Sensabaugh

Chancellor > Church
  13. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,775 Messages
    638 Likes Received
    not only that but Sherman, Browner, Chacellor all over 6'2" and very physical. Claiborne is more finese than physical and not having an Earl Thomas is huge problem. The only edge for Dallas I can see is Ware.
  14. newnationcb

newnationcb Well-Known Member

2,642 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    Well guys, are we changing it now? Cause I thought it all started with the front 7?

If so, virtually every one of our projected starters is superior.

Ware>Clemons
    Hatcher>Branch
    Rat>Mebane (Question mark; better pass rusher for sure)
    Spencer>Bryant as pass rusher and >>>>Irvin as run stopper

Lee>Wagner
    Bruce Carter>KJ Wright
    Leroy Hill> ????
  15. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,859 Messages
    1,238 Likes Received
    I think Seattle is proof that scheme means everything.
  16. weaver21

weaver21 Active Member

689 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    Are you serious? Our front 7 is way better than theirs. You honestly think Bobby Wagner and K.J. Wright are better than Lee and Carter? Or Red Bryant is better than Spencer? Hell, even Alan Branch isn't better than Hatcher and when healthy, Ratliff is better than Brandon Mebane. Seattle may have a better secondary, but their front seven isn't better than ours.
  17. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    And effort. Not saying our guys dogged it, but Seattle's D was extremely physical and spirited last year.

Some of that is confidence and belief, too.

But yeah, I like newnation's point. Wonder if a certain poster will see it...
  18. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    I like the fact that this defense is getting away from two-gapping which doesn't take advantage of the speed we have on the DL.
  19. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I have been very intrigued by that comment this week as well. I have, particularly, been interested in what that means for Hatcher. I wondered if it gave credence to the idea of playing Hatcher as the SDE the way the Seahawks play Red Bryant.

In any case, I loved watching the Seahawks last season, and if the Cowboys defense looked anything like that, I would be pretty pleased.
  20. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    In that interview today, Kiffin was asked about this and at the end he said don't worry, there will be plenty of Bucs and Bears in there, too.

Plus he went through each position on defense and said he thinks we have 34 OLBs who can put their hand on the ground, and said he thinks we have the two tackles. Of course he'll tailor it once he sees how good the players are and what they can do, but it sounds to me like a fairly conventional 43.

Plus you have to remember he was telling Carr to look at Seattle. Probably because they didn't played more bump and single high safety than the old Bucs did. And Kiffin mentioned those two things today.