1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: National reaction: Cris Collingsworth rips Jason Garrett’s play-calling

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 4, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,320 Messages
    3,186 Likes Received
    By Barry Horn / Reporter
    bhorn@dallasnews.com
    10:51 pm on November 4, 2012 | Permalink

– Game analyst Cris Collingsworth offered a nugget when he reported that the Falcons “shame out” players for silly penalties the day after a game. He said offenders are called to stand before their teammates. No one ever has accused Jason Garrett of shaming his players in private or public.

– Collinsworth was no fan of Garrett’s play calling. When the Cowboys finally scored their lone touchdown using a no-huddle offense that moved exclusively in the air, in the fourth quarter, he asked: “I can not be the only one in America asking this question: “Where has this been?”

– Earlier Sunday, Fox’s Jimmy Johnson revealed he has lost trust in the Cowboys, a team he coached to two Super Bowl titles and set up for a third. “Dallas has star players, they make a lot of big plays, are ranked in the top 10 on offense and top five on defense but does anybody trust them to win a game?” he asked rhetorically. “No. And it’s for the simple reason that they make so many mistakes.”

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...gsworth-rips-jason-garretts-play-calling.html
  2. Joshmil53

Joshmil53 Active Member

2,558 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    As he should, Garrett's a complete joke.
  3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

13,799 Messages
    875 Likes Received
    :lmao: Tony Dungy never says a bad word about anybody.
  4. MoClaiborne24

MoClaiborne24 Member

456 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Pathetic excuse for a team.. especially the offense
  5. Coy

Coy Well-Known Member

2,131 Messages
    503 Likes Received
    Fixed it for you.
  6. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,942 Messages
    425 Likes Received
  7. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Very very tough indeed.

This is just bad stuff in Dallas.

I felt like it didn't matter what Atlanta did tonight, they would ultimately win the game.

This team just plays bad football. It starts w/ the coach and coaching.
  8. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,163 Messages
    2,752 Likes Received
    I don't disagree with a word Collingsworth said.
  9. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,320 Messages
    3,186 Likes Received
  10. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,576 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    That really says alot.

Dungy is one heck of a football coach.

And he can see, clear as day, that the Cowboys are just not run properly.

How many more players and coaches have to criticize the coaching before it actually takes hold that Garrett's over his head?
  11. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,942 Messages
    425 Likes Received
  12. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,603 Messages
    1,419 Likes Received
    In other words - playcalling/coaching - - - and.......... I agree, FWIW.
  13. ConstantReboot

ConstantReboot Well-Known Member

2,013 Messages
    391 Likes Received
    Collinsworth is correct. He sees that this team is talented on offense but its held back by the playcalling. We were once a top ranked offense. We could score at will on just about anyone. However, Garrett deploys a ball control type of offense that wins games with field goals. This offense needs to be opened up using big plays. Im sick of the same old routine of going conservative all game and finally opening up the offense once we fall behind. Its the same pattern each and every game and no wonder Romo has been throwing INTs alot this year.
  14. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,573 Messages
    299 Likes Received
    Wow...that's pretty sad when a humble man like Tony D calls you out for football basics.
  15. Cowboy_Shawn

Cowboy_Shawn Active Member

548 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    I think you're off track a bit. Not to excuse Garrett, because I'm tired of his act as well, but Garrett's offensive style isn't ball control. And I really can't blame him for being a bit conservative yesterday. Tony Romo is practically an accident waiting to happen.

I don't trust Romo to fling the ball around 40 times a game. IIRC, didn't NBC throw up a stat showing that the Cowboys were something like 0-14 when Romo has over 40 pass attempts per game?

People like to point to Romo getting us back into last week's game but they fail to realize that Romo's erratic play was a primary reason that we were in that 23 point hole.

The offense has been wide open most of the season. The players just aren't good enough and can't be trusted to make plays in the clutch.

As for Garrett, his problems are and have always been game management, his unwillingness to stick with the run; and situational play calling.
  16. JonJon

JonJon Injured Reserve

10,995 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    Now they are the best 3-5 team he has seen in a long time. If the Cowboys don't find a way to improve the offensive performance, they will be the best 3-6 team he has seen in a long time.
  17. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,576 Messages
    528 Likes Received
    That's the exact line people used during Wade's last year.

We're the best 1-4 team in the league.

This season feels similar, so far, in regards to the excuses thrown around
  18. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,316 Messages
    353 Likes Received

Not an NFL COach on any other Team, as our GM......get used to losing.
  19. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

4,716 Messages
    237 Likes Received
    After last nights game it's clear to me that the team is just not talented enough to be competitive this year and its for the above reasons.

You either open up the offense and give romo the options to do what he wants and you will get yards up and down the field but you will also get turnovers, stalled drives from sacks penalties and dropped balls, missed blocking assignments and wrong routes

OR

You call a conservative game plan and you dont get much scoring at all - though you dont put your defense in bad situations by turning the ball over so much.

But either way its a loss if you are playing a good team so its a matter of picking how you are going to lose the game.

So after 8 games i have to accept that the team is not competitive at this point in time, for whatever reason that may be. (im including coaches and players in "team").
  20. slomoxn

slomoxn Well-Known Member

1,480 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    In this same link did anyone read the article about Jerry being the GM. We are doomed and he actually says that he makes the FINAL decision on personnel and decisions with the team. There may be a collective agreement but when he doesn't like it he apparently overrules everyone.
    Its titled,"We've won three superbowls with me as GM and were going to do it again" I don't know how to post a link but somebody please do. Oh excuse me it "I'm going to do it again". His ego is our doom.