1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: Not so fast, Jerry: Injured RB DeMarco Murray hints that playing Sunday is a possibility

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by jobberone, Oct 16, 2013.

1. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

37,745 Messages
    3,936 Likes Received
    BARRY HORN

Staff writer

bhorn@dallasnews.com

[IMG]

IRVING — The day after Jerry Jones seemed to assure that the Cowboys would be without an injured DeMarco Murray when they visit the Philadelphia Eagles on Sunday, the Cowboys’ leading rusher indicated the team owner/general manager may have spoken prematurely.

“I feel good,” Murray said Wednesday in the Cowboys’ locker room. “I did some running today. I am just taking it day-by-day and progressing, and [I’ll] see how I feel later on the week, before the game.”

Murray sprained the medial collateral ligament in his left knee during the second quarter of Sunday night’s 31-16 victory over the Washington Redskins. He did not return. He did not participate in Wednesday’s first practice of the week.

Said Jones on Tuesday: We’ll miss [Murray] certainly this coming week, and then we’ll see from there.”

Still, Murray insisted he would play if he feels “comfortable.”

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...ints-that-playing-sunday-is-a-possibility.ece
  2. CowboyStar88

CowboyStar88 Well-Known Member

4,549 Messages
    1,140 Likes Received
    Seems to be a bit if desperation on Murray's part. If he can injury further why play? Just let the rook and Tanner carry the duties this week. Let us see what we've got there.
  3. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,075 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    Would be a mistake to let him play. One wrong twist or torque and he is finito for the year.
    65fastback2plus2 likes this.
  4. jobberone

37,745 Messages
    3,936 Likes Received
    He has to have a Grade I sprain. These are not that much at risk for getting worse. He'd have to suffer the same injury to the point of tearing the MCL. At present this is probably microscopic tear(s). This is a matter of function and pain. If he can run and cut properly without significant pain then he can play. Personally, I'd sit him at least another week. But then none of us are there and know the full story.
  5. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,288 Messages
    962 Likes Received
    So you're telling me jerry may have had another premature enuciation?
    jubal likes this.
  6. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,075 Messages
    1,807 Likes Received
    Don't most grade I sprains take 1-2 weeks to heal? Grade II 3-4? As far as I know, there is nothing to be administered to speed up that process, just rest. Murray isn't exactly an ironman, so I still think it is a bad idea to let him play :cool:
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,344 Messages
    4,490 Likes Received
    Maybe Murray saw what happened when someone got a chance to take Austin's place for a couple of games.
  8. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,924 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    I think that this is all showmanship. I don't believe Murray will go this weekend but it does no harm to have Philly prepare to defend against him. Still, I doubt he goes.
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  9. jobberone

37,745 Messages
    3,936 Likes Received
    We don't really disagree. A I is microscopic and is diagnosed with symptoms and signs. IIs can be seen but most likely you go by serial exams and symptoms over time. IIIs generally are seen on tests and are just significantly worse than IIs. IVs often need surgery. I suspect he won't play for another week or two. But we'll see. Some are back in a week. Not many though.
  10. DC Cowboy

DC Cowboy Active Member

576 Messages
    46 Likes Received
    I actually got the chance to work with Meggett, whom we just signed, last year b/c I coached his younger the brother the last two years in lil league football. He is a good dude and we actually laughed last year when I told him he needs to play for Dallas.
    CowboyStar88 likes this.
  11. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,899 Messages
    1,790 Likes Received
    lol - I was seriously thinking the same thing.
  12. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,567 Messages
    501 Likes Received
    Cuz it's an important division game?

If he can play, he should play.
    Fletch likes this.
  13. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,909 Messages
    461 Likes Received
    Sure there is... HGH... I kid.. I kid!
  14. ohiocowboysfan25

ohiocowboysfan25 Active Member

383 Messages
    27 Likes Received
    What is the advantage to Dallas by Jerry coming out and saying that Murray is out? I hate how he comes out and lets the opp know what's going on so they don't have to worry about game planning for him.
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  15. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,765 Messages
    1,968 Likes Received
    Would be dumb to play him.

It's October. Rest and let the healthy guy play.
  16. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,018 Messages
    1,332 Likes Received
    Ah, I was a out to post the same thing. First common sense post on this topic. No way Murray plays in this game. They just want Philly to have to game plan either way.
  17. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,018 Messages
    1,332 Likes Received
    Exactly, Jerry always does this.
  18. erod

erod Well-Known Member

4,913 Messages
    2,054 Likes Received
    When you watch the injury, nothing twisted or bent in a particularly noticeable way. It looks to be a very minor sprain.

I'll be they hold him a week to be sure, but he'll be playing in Detroit for sure.
  19. Hoov

Hoov Senior Member

5,075 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    This is exactly what i am thinking
  20. KDM256

KDM256 Active Member

403 Messages
    89 Likes Received
    Nothing is more frustrating than seeing this guy Murray getting injured year in and year out. One season is all I ask