1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Observations from Day 5 of Cowboys training camp practice

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 1, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,140 Messages
    6,923 Likes Received
    By

Brandon George / Reporter

bgeorge@dallasnews.com | Bio
    7:45 PM on Mon., Aug. 1, 2011 | Permalink

OBSERVATION DECK:
    Here's what I saw from the fifth day of the Cowboys' training camp practices Monday from the Alamodome in San Antonio:

• With Tuesday scheduled off, Monday's afternoon practice was the team's most physical yet. Players were being knocked to the ground more and some of the hits had that loud, popping noise that excited the fans. One of the biggest hits came when LB Isaiah Greenhouse leveled RB Phillip Tanner of Kimball.

• Starting kicker David Buehler and undrafted rookie free agent Dan Bailey (Oklahoma State) each went 4-for-4 on field goal attempts. But Buehler out-performed Bailey on kickoffs. Buehler's kickoffs sailed high and deep, while Bailey's were shorter and more knuckle balls.

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/08/observations-from-day-5-of-cow.html
  2. Meat-O-Rama

Meat-O-Rama Vegetarians are so stupid.

2,260 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Stuff like this excites me.
  3. Cowboy4ever

Cowboy4ever Well-Known Member

2,107 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    i really like the competitive nature of this camp. Players diving into the endzone, players running down other players from behind stripping the ball, etc. I was at camp last year and it was ho hum. I will be there Saturday and I am juiced to see this team compete.
  4. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,587 Messages
    9,779 Likes Received
    Not good.
  5. DanTanna

DanTanna Original Zone Member Zone Supporter

2,258 Messages
    290 Likes Received
    It would really suck to keep two kickers again!
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Yeah but it would suck worse to keep 1 and have piss poor kick offs or shanked field goals all year.

I don't like 2 kickers but if that's what has to happen, that's what has to happen.
  7. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,890 Messages
    7,635 Likes Received
    I'm going to go out on a limb and say this guy makes this team outright.
  8. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,587 Messages
    9,779 Likes Received
    So we keep 4 RBs?
  9. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received

You thinking he beats out one of the top 3? Or more along the lines of knocks Lonyae Miller off the PS?
  10. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,520 Messages
    91 Likes Received
    Maybe we could trade Choice for a 5th or 6th round pick.
  11. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    • Rookie CB Josh Thomas (Buffalo/Cedar Hill) missed an open-field tackle on WR Kevin Ogletree on a quick out. Ogletree took it all the way for a 60-yard touchdown in team drills.

Ogletree looks like someone lit a fire in him this off-season.He has been killing it every day!
  12. Temo

Temo Active Member

3,735 Messages
    20 Likes Received
    They did change the kickoff rule to the 35-yard line for this year, so Buehler's leg is slightly less important than it might have been last year.
  13. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    Instead of kicking TB's, teams want to kick off high and let the ball hang (like a punt to an extent) to get the coverage team down field to pin the team around their own 15 yardline.

They say Beuhler's are hanging and getting right to the spots, and Baileys are almost line drive "and flat"
  14. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,857 Messages
    1,236 Likes Received
    :facepalm: This is a myth that media and ignorant fans keep repeating. This actually works to Buehler's advantage. Most kickers are still going to struggle to get touchbacks or hang it up high to the goalline. The new rule change is actually the way it use to be in the 90's.
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I think only about 10 kickers averaged 65 yards per kick off last season.

Strong legs are definitely in play.
  16. StanleySpadowski

StanleySpadowski Active Member

4,815 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It makes it even more important. A kicker who can nab 75% touchbacks is going to allow a team to make decisions based on positional play rather than special teams, strengthening the depth.
  17. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

119,073 Messages
    3,040 Likes Received
    Exactly.
  18. Dale

Dale Forum Architect

4,945 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    I agree, speedkilz. If Bailey is getting them to the 3 with the rule change, while Buehler's sail five yards into the end zone, that's a major difference. And by the sounds of things, we don't want Bailey kicking off given his training camp performance. This really smells like a two-kicker job, as much of a wasted roster spot as that may seem to some.
  19. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    I agree. Go for the distance and hang time....much worth it. Buehler is a beast.
  20. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I watched a short interview with him the other day. The way he said " because I'm young" gave me the feeling someone explained things to him and got the message across that the time is now or never. I still think this guy is gonna do good things for our team.