1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Parcells and Allen talk about disagreement

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by TruBlueCowboy, May 8, 2004.

1. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...cowboys/stories/050804dnspocowlede.3ba0a.html

Allen, Parcells talk about disagreement:
    Valley Ranch meeting addresses guard's conditioning program

09:39 PM CDT on Friday, May 7, 2004
    By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Pro Bowl guard Larry Allen, the only player who is not participating in the Cowboys' voluntary off-season training program, and coach Bill Parcells recently met to discuss their differences, a club source said Friday.

The source said Allen and Parcells met Thursday afternoon at the club's Valley Ranch training complex. The source said the meeting focused on Allen's conditioning.

If Allen is in good physical condition, Parcells believes he will not be hampered by the knee and ankle injuries that forced him to leave several games last season.

Allen, however, never appeared on the club's injury report.

Parcells doesn't list players on the report who don't receive treatment for their injuries from the training staff.

Allen and his agent, Marvin Demoff, could not be reached for comment. Owner Jerry Jones was unavailable for comment.

Parcells has said Allen will only be a member of the 2004 Cowboys if he makes significant changes.
  2. tuls

tuls New Member

100 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Wonder if Larry will change.
  3. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    he better if he wants to keep playing. i truly believe that if he is in better condition then he will play better. he just looked too top heavy the last couple of seasons and he had no balance. hopefully this will improve and he can finish out is contract in solid form.

[IMG]
  4. D41lasCowboys31

D41lasCowboys31 Member

813 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hopefully, I want to see LA on the team next year.
  5. Hollywood Henderson

Hollywood Henderson Benched

3,329 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yeah I would hate to see his HUGE cap hit if he wasn't on the team or if he isn't in pro bowl form...
    After all thats what he is getting paid like...
    He didn't play like it or near it last year, even if he went to Hawaii...
  6. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,902 Messages
    2,709 Likes Received
    You and me both. Hopefully he has had a cold shower about how much he is expected to bust his butt. No resting on your laurels. If he was that good with so little effort, imagine how good he might become if he paid attention and focused.
  7. cowboyfan4life_mark

cowboyfan4life_mark 5 outta 8 ain't bad

2,931 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Just imagine if Larry does stay and plays at a great level. Our O-line will be a lot better off.
    Also we would still be 10+Million under the cap.
    What would you guys/gals like to see with the 10+Million if Larry stays and plays great.
    I would like to see another corner and if Hambrick is traded, then a reliable RB that could carry the load should JJones not be able to handle it early in the season.
  8. TheHustler

TheHustler Active Member

5,391 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yeah. lets hope he responds better this year than he did last year.
  9. Jimz31

Jimz31 The Sarcastic One

14,242 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Hopefully, LA will take the attitude of "I'll show you just how good I still am."

I wonder if the proposals that he reportedly received were pretty much embarrassing to him and he would want to show these teams that they made a mistake in not offering him more than they were.

One can dream right? :D
  10. SweCowboy

SweCowboy Member

218 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I really don't think we have much to loose from keeping Allen around, but we certainly have lots to win if he plays as good as I'm sure he can if he puts his mind to it.

If I'm not mistaken if we were to cut him pre june 1:st we would take a cap hit of his entire remaining proration of his signing bonus. If we cut him after june 1:st we would take a lesser cap hit this year but a quite larger one next year. I can't see any point in doing that since I doubt the we'll sign hi priced FAs this year. If we on the other hand keep Allen and do as Minnesota did with their cap last year, put it in unlikely "likely" to be reached insentives the only thing we loose of next years cap is Allens salery, which if I'm not mistaken is relatively reasonable.

So unless LAs lacy attitude becomes a problem for BP or the coaching staff (other players slacking of because of it etc.) I think its a good idée(sp?) to keep him around. He simply has more upside than downside.
  11. L.T. Fan

L.T. Fan New Member

38 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This thread indicates a "disagreement" between Parcells and Allen.

My take is that the term disagreement doesn't really apply in that there is only one way this clash will be culminated with any success.

Anyone care to venture how that might be?

My money is that Allen will now cease to think differently or pay the price. There is no disagreement from Parcells perspective, it is "my way or the highway". :)
  12. Hostile

Hostile Tacos are a good investment Zone Supporter

118,902 Messages
    2,709 Likes Received
    Dream it Jim. Nothing wrong with that at all.
  13. ghettogandhi

ghettogandhi Member

994 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    then we would have a ton of cap space- I would prefer to use the Minnesota strategy of giving players in their last year of their contract unreachable contract incentives and then roll that money to next years pool. That coupled with our two #1's should make for a great team for years to come.

Anyone have a list of next years free agents.

Like I ve said since the draft, the oline depth will be a tremendous asset next year. We have two players coming off of Pro Bowl years, one we know needs to focus more and quit his bit_hing. We have a 2nd year rookie, who from all reports last year was on his way to becoming the best olineman on the team. Those three to go along with gurode- whose weakness has been focus and penalties-not physical limitations,
    Then we have a ton of young players vieing for a spot - including rookies- jacobs and peterman. Add vollers, walters and valuable reserves in dinapoli and everyones favorite lehr- just joking.
    If relatively healthy by the end of the year this unit will be the strength of the team and one of the best in the league.
    Julius Jones will have 1300 yards this year.
  14. IndianaCowboyFan

IndianaCowboyFan The Bullet

852 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Not that for out of the realm of reality. What if he likes what he sees and realizes that the Cowboys are just a few pieces away from a Superbowl. Would another ring be enough motivation?
  15. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,419 Messages
    2,998 Likes Received

I think Larry is coming around.

Hope so.
  16. da_boyz_mk

da_boyz_mk How 'Bout Dem Cowboys

2,125 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    it's very simple if he's healthy and in shape. LA will be fine

[IMG]
  17. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,959 Messages
    5,001 Likes Received
    He is a boom or bust player at this stage of his career. Who knows what we can really expect this year. Sometimes I think that 3rd round pick from Detroit would have been pretty sweet.
  18. L.T. Fan

L.T. Fan New Member

38 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not so simple actually.

One has to ask what is the mental makeup of the man who allowed himself to get out of shape in the first place and attempted to skate through more than one season.

It's not the physical Larry Allen that needs priority attention it is the attitude that he has adopted for the past three (or so) seasons that has to be reconciled.

He must be prepared mentally now to accept the system and the coaches which is something he has been at odds with for the past three (or so) years.