1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN:Parcells talks, but not for long

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by LaTunaNostra, Apr 25, 2004.

1. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,986 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Parcells talks, but not for long
    Cowboys coach briefly touches on free agency, first-day draft picks

02:33 AM CDT on Sunday, April 25, 2004

By TODD ARCHER / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – So many questions to ask. About Larry Allen's future. About Drew Henson. About Keyshawn Johnson. About what the Cowboys did not do in free agency.

Bill Parcells, wearing a black pinstripe suit and yellow tie, did not want any of it Saturday as he made his first public comments since Jan. 6. He preferred to talk about the team's three draft picks – running back Julius Jones, tackle Jacob Rogers and guard Stephen Peterman.

"I don't want to get into any other aspects at this point," Parcells said. "When we get together at the camps, then I'll be willing to discuss everything. Right now, I don't have the time to discuss everything."

While Parcells would not say if Jones would be the starting running back or Rogers the starting right tackle in two of the Cowboys' biggest off-season moves, he did say he felt the team came up one position short in its free-agent work.

That position sounded like cornerback when Parcells talked about the high-priced contracts that were signed. So far, the Cowboys have added only one starter, defensive end Marcellus Wiley, in free agency.

"I think I probably held us back a little," Parcells said. "I certainly did not want to get into an economically prohibitive situation. That had happened here. I didn't have to talk too hard about that. You don't want to go hog-wild."

By remaining fiscally sound, Parcells hopes the Cowboys have options when players are cut in June and into training camp.

When asked if he considers Henson, picked up in a trade from Houston, part of this year's draft, Parcells said no.

"It's a talent acquisition business," Parcells said.

Parcells likes Julius Jones and the fact that his brother, Thomas, has been a starter in the NFL. He believes Jones is a high-character player and that passing on the chance to take Steven Jackson, Kevin Jones or Chris Perry earlier was more about getting Buffalo's first-round pick in 2005.

"The best running back I ever coached [Curtis Martin], we got in the third round," Parcells said.

He believes Southern California's Rogers and LSU's Peterman have the toughness to play for him, and he's hoping to add similar personalities with the three picks today.

"We drafted two offensive linemen off of national champion teams, so they're used to winning," Parcells said.

And Parcells is used to winning, which is why he only took a brief respite after the season.

He did not attend the NFL Combine in Indianapolis, nor did he go to the owners' meetings in Palm Beach, Fla. He did make it to American Airlines Center for the Big 12 basketball tournament and addressed Bob Knight's Texas Tech team before a game.

But other than that, it was all football all the time.

"I went right to the film room I'd say for the better part of eight weeks and looked and looked and looked," Parcells said. "It's a lot of work for nothing sometimes, but