1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN-Parcellsisms: Cowboys coach has way of relating to players

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Charles, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Charles

Charles Benched

3,409 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Parcellsisms: Cowboys coach has way of relating to players

02:44 AM CDT on Friday, April 30, 2004

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING -
    Coach Bill Parcells is a 62-year-old man who prefers hanging around young people.

Their youth energizes him, he says.

Make no mistake, however, Parcells is old school.

He's more prone to talking about boxing, horse racing and his beloved Boston Red Sox than Outkast or Punk'd.

"He must be a genius," one player said last year. "It's like he knows something about everything."

Parcells does most of his bonding in the weight room, though he believes the locker room is a sanctuary.

"That square room in there," he said referring to the locker room. "There are no rules. There are no complications.

Those are your guys and that's it. For some of them, those same guys will be their guys 20 years from now."

Parcells' goal is to find a way to make each of his players a little better every day.

The trick is finding a way to relate to players young enough to be his grandchildren.

"I try to keep them interested," Parcells said of his team last season. "I try to point things out that they need to do. I try to give them a little analogy from time to time.

"I just tell my players this is not preaching or trying to know it all, but if you don't have some motivation to be the best at something or achieve, then what are you doing here?"

With the Cowboys beginning their three-day rookie mini-camp today, here are some of Parcells' favorite phrases to help the newcomers in their indoctrination to pro football.

DICTIONARY

An explanation of phrases and terms

C.O.P. player

A change-of-pace player like Aveion Cason, who has some speed and can be used on draws, screens and third down but probably isn't durable enough to play every down.

E.R.W. player

Players who eat, ride and warm up.

J.A.G. player

A player who is just a guy - an average player who doesn't matter in the big picture.

Satellite player

A versatile player such as James Whalen, who can play tight end and H-back and contributes on kick and punt coverage as well as kick returns.

No-hitter

He's talking - most of the time - about a player who whiffed on a block, especially when the running back gets dropped for a loss or no gain.

Street player

A player who relies on athletic ability instead of technique.

Toe-dipper

A running back who checks to see if there's a hole instead of accelerating into the hole and exploding through it. He says that's no different than sticking your toe in the swimming pool to see how cold the water is.

PARCELLS SPEAKS

"I think having two or three of those (satellite players) on your team is a great advantage. The player who most taught me that was Keith Byars."

• • •
    "I don't like those guys. (E.R.W. players) That means they don't play or they only play if somebody gets hurt. I want 45 guys there that'll be playing or doing something."

• • •
    "When I refer to street players, I'm thinking about New York City basketball guys. If you know the history of basketball, then you know there were some fabulous players that never got anywhere in the sport because they were just street players. They could do anything with the basketball, but they couldn't guard anyone."

FOR STARTERS

Parcells' favorite way to start a sentence is "Lookit ... " Here are some examples:

Lookit - I'm not trying to be funny.

Lookit - I'm not trying to be a psychologist.

Lookit - I'm trying to be as truthful as I can.

FAVORITE PHRASES

Ranking the top 10:

1 "The quarterback is in charge of the chuck wagon. He's handing it out here and there, but he can't just throw it out there indiscriminately or the wolves will get him."

2 "I'm trying to keep my own house from burning down. I can't worry about someone else's house."

3 "The time to worry is before you place the bet - not after the wheel is spinning. Once it spins, you forget about it."

4 "I don't like celebrity quarterbacks. We don't need those. We need battlefield commanders."

5 "There are two sides to that pancake. One is brown and fluffy; the other is burned."

6 "We're not playing solitaire out here."

7 "Look, when you're starting to put something together, you want the pudding to come out good. You're trying to put in the right ingredients."

8 "This season isn't going to be without several crises. There's no doubt about it. They're coming."

9 "History doesn't mean anything in football; history means something in boxing."

10 "I enjoy these players. They're beavers."

QUOTE THIS

Here are some of Parcells' favorite quotes, which he often repeats:

"I love the game. I think it's a great game because you find out a lot about yourself. You test your mettle every week. There's no gray area, there's instant gratification and there are no quarterly reports. We're not just doing a little bit better. You know every Sunday what happened."

• • •
    "I only want my team to play to its potential, as I perceive it to be. I really don't have any regard for anyone else's perception."

• • •
    "I talked to the team a lot about staying power. You never find out if you have that until you've been beaten down a few times."

• • •
    "Any penalty - I've told you a hundred times - can be eliminated by concentration or good judgment."

• • •
    "My job is to call attention to the things that I think are the difference between winning and losing. If I can't do that, then I have failed as a coach."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Online at: http://www.cowboysplus.com/topstory/stories/043004cpparcellsspeaks.1747e4781.html
  2. BrownSugar

BrownSugar One Classy Lady

793 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That was a pretty kool article, QCard!!
  3. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,895 Messages
    16 Likes Received
    Fun info. I don't think he likes street players. He used that term on Ross. I think he sees street players as undisciplined.
  4. Cbz40

Cbz40 The Grand Poobah

31,365 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Excellent read......Thanks for posting it.
  5. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,913 Messages
    3,367 Likes Received
    Outstanding article. Thank you.
  6. Hostile

Hostile Driver of the Cowboys Bandwagon Zone Supporter

119,151 Messages
    3,263 Likes Received
    JJT has written some articles lately that I enjoy reading. That was good.
  7. Rocco

Rocco Cozy in Colo

339 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm guessing he was talking about the cheerleaders here.. ;)
  8. TruBlueCowboy

TruBlueCowboy New Member

7,301 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bill Parcells is a walking-talking quote machine. He may not allow the media as much access as other coaches but thirty minutes with Parcells is a hell of a lot more entertaining than one month with Campo or Gailey.
  9. adbutcher

adbutcher K9NME

10,816 Messages
    477 Likes Received
    Man! The Tuna is awesome! We are so lucky.
  10. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,987 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Nice article!!
    [IMG]
  11. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    10 "I enjoy these players. They're beavers."

[IMG]
  12. kidcrook

kidcrook Member

826 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Parcells has got to be one of the most intriguing personalities the league has ever seen. I think I lived for his press conferences and interviews during the season and I can't wait for next year. He's the best coach ever in my opinion.
  13. Mattsdad

Mattsdad Member Zone Supporter

593 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Really enjoyed the article. Parcells is certainly a unique individual :)
  14. Jack

Jack New Member

229 Messages
    0 Likes Received

I wonder who he is stealing them from. :D
  15. LaTunaNostra

LaTunaNostra He Made the Difference

14,987 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    My favorite quote -
    It isn't genius. It's just living for 62 years w/o eyes wide shut.
  16. Bach

Bach Benched

7,645 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    We can scratch off Mickey from the list