1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Philip Rivers: Brandon Carr didn’t bait me into throwing an interception

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 22, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,536 Messages
    3,382 Likes Received
    By Jon Machota / Special Contributor
    jmachota@dallasnews.com
    12:38 pm on August 22, 2012 | Permalink

Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr intercepted Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers twice Saturday night. On the first pick, Carr made it sound as if he baited Rivers into throwing deep for Robert Meachem. Rivers threw short of his intended receiver and Carr made the leaping grab.

Carr said he got the technique from watching Deion Sanders. Rivers said he wasn’t baited at all.

“No, he made a really good play and he’s a really good corner, but it was a horrible throw,” Rivers told XX Sports Radio in San Diego, according to SportsRadioInterviews.com. “It was horribly underthrown. If I throw that a little earlier and a little further then it’s a 60-yard touchdown. … If I throw the ball that I need to throw, then it’s a completion. … I don’t fault him at all for saying that, because when we throw a touchdown we obviously think it’s a good play but they obviously think, “Ah, we let them do that.’ That’s how it works in this league. … I’ve been baited into some — that wasn’t one of them.”

Read the rest: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...t-bait-me-into-throwing-an-interception.html/
  2. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    Phil is a lil' insecure: who cares if he baited you or not Phil? It's preseason........it's practically PRACTICE!!!:rolleyes:
  3. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,536 Messages
    3,382 Likes Received
  4. nalam

nalam The realist Zone Supporter

1,289 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    He is pxssed that he got intercepted twice by Carr :)
  5. 8FOR!3

8FOR!3 Well-Known Member

1,275 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    lol if that play isn't the definition of getting baited idk what is.
  6. RoyTheHammer

RoyTheHammer Well-Known Member

13,741 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    He's right, he didn't bait him.. but who cares? lol
  7. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,864 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    Rivers let the ball fly because he was pressured and Carr was trailing. The throw was short because Rivers threw off his back foot. But Carr's makeup speed proved it was not just a bad throw but also a bad decision. Rivers thought he had an easy shot but he didn't as Carr's makeup speed lessened the margin for error more than Rivers thought.

Just having a guy who can consistently make the other team pay for making a bad throw is huge.
  8. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,558 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    Really? Rivers is right; that ball was horribly underthrown. Carr might have been baiting him and maybe he could've caught up on a well-thrown ball, but it didn't matter when the pass was that bad.
  9. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,518 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    I don't have a problem with Rivers take on it. Respecting Carr, but sharing a different opinion. And he's probably right.

Nevertheless, good play by Carr. Got to be opportunistic.
  10. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,515 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    You obviously care enough to clarify it, so you care it seems. :)

Me personally, I don't care. I am just glad Brandon has great hands and is the obvious massive upgrade this secondary needed.
  11. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,048 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Do some of you guys even understand what baiting a qb is? He let the wr get a step on him and was watching the qb and the ball and followed the flight of the ball rather than the wr. This is what Deion did all the time and Carr did it perfectly. If Rivers threw it deeper then Carr would have tracked it down still and the only bad outcome would have been a batted down pass if the wr had tracked it also.
  12. aikemirv

aikemirv Well-Known Member

7,081 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    I don't know if he baited him or not because I did not see how the Wr got past him. I do know there is a 50/50 chance that Newman would have gotton behind the WR and tried to jump over his back.

Sorry Terrance - I liked you in your prime but last year was just awful!
  13. PhillyCowboysFan

PhillyCowboysFan Member

828 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    So he could not have thrown a perfect pass and lead the receiver in a way that Carr couldn't have gotten to the ball?

Please look at that play again. The receiver diffidently had to slow up! If a receiver ever slows down for a ball, it's underthrown. And Carr made a play because of it. I'll take it!
  14. speedkilz88

20,048 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    Carr slowed up did you see that? Do you understand what is to bait a qb?
  15. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,408 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    [youtube]epokEmkuCwI&loop=1&playlist=epokEmkuCwI[/youtube]
  16. PhillyCowboysFan

PhillyCowboysFan Member

828 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Did you see that the receiver had to slow up and turn all the way around? Do you understand what an underthrown ball is?

Look Carr made a play and I will take it because it probably would have been interference on #41. But a perfectly thrown ball the receiever is cathing the ball without out turning around and in full stride!
  17. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,596 Messages
    1,089 Likes Received
    Well duh. Any perfectly thrown pass is going to be completed.

I don't disagree with Rivers here. I don't think 'baited' is the right word to use here.

However, Carr showed his closing speed on Meach and it would have taken a much better pass to beat him. I don't think Meachem had Carr beat to the point where any decent pass would have been a completion.
  18. PhillyCowboysFan

PhillyCowboysFan Member

828 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Meachem had to slow up and turn his body around. That's an underthrown ball! Well DAH!
  19. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,558 Messages
    407 Likes Received
    I don't see how anyone can watch that play and say that it shows Carr's "closing speed". Meachem tried to stop because the ball was so far behind him. Carr closed because Meachem came to him, not the other way around.

I'm not saying Carr doesn't have closing speed, and I'm not saying that he couldn't have closed on him. But this play didn't demonstrate those things.
  20. speedkilz88

20,048 Messages
    663 Likes Received
    :facepalm: Do you not understand that had the ball been thrown further, Carr wouldn't have slowed down!