1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN Rainer Chat Wrap: Here's a trend I think you'll see in Callahan's play-calling

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 6, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,558 Messages
    3,420 Likes Received
    SportsDayDFW.com

Published: 05 June 2013 10:07 PM

Updated: 05 June 2013 10:07 PM

Rainer Sabin answered questions in a chat Wednesday. Here are some highlights

TEXAN FOR LIFE! ... Do you see the C'boys calling more/less running plays this season?
    Rainer Sabin: Based on Bill Callahan's track record and background, I think you'll see a stronger commitment to the running game.

Vancouver ... Was Callahan the right choice? I'm glad Garrett won't be calling plays this year. This should allow him to focus more time and energy into game management. But was Callahan the right choice to call the plays or should they have looked outside of the organization?
    Rainer Sabin: That's a good question but it's not one that can be easily answered. It will be interesting to see how Bill Callahan, who has a West Coast background, runs Jason Garrett's system, which is based on Don Coryell's offensive philosophy.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE FULL CHAT
  2. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,353 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    callahan has been around the system long enough to know the system very well. i don't think his knowledge of the system is an issue at all. but it's not gonna matter who is calling the plays and how many more times you run the ball if the oline plays like it did last year. committing to the run if a great idea until it leaves you in 3rd and lomg time after time
  3. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

2,986 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    ..is going to throw the ball first and run off the pass. That's what he was successful with in Oakland and as time goes by..that's what is going to happen.

That's why the other TE was drafted..to throw out of 2-TE sets ALOT and add pass protection for Romo by having more quick checkdowns if needed.

Running does not win championships.

Throwing the ball well, quickly and accurately does.

Glad to see the change.

Next year we'll see Chucky come out of the broadcast booth and then the whole Tampa Bay staff will get it's chance to see if they can do it again.

Garrett is a goner.

:starspin RedBall ExPreSS:starspin
  4. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,226 Messages
    3,049 Likes Received
    Both San Fran and Baltimore were ranked higher in rushing than they were in passing for the 2012 regular season.
  5. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,402 Messages
    517 Likes Received
    3 yards and a cloud of dust. I mean, why thow the ball????

By gum, if he was good enuff for ol' Al Davis then he should be good enuff for us!
  6. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,078 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    Yep and other teams in the post season finished the the top 11

Rushing
    1st Redskins
    2nd Min
    3rd Seattle
    4th SF
    7th New England
    8th Houston
    11 Baltimore

We continue this year after year and while I have never seen anyone say passing is not important those who think running plays no part in winning are kidding themselfs.

More you can do on offense the harder it is to defend, teams can't just key on one aspect of your offense they are forced to deal with both.
  7. CowboyManDan

CowboyManDan Well-Known Member

1,510 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    When Callahan coached the Raiders to the Super Bowl, I recall them being fairly pass heavy offense.

I don't expect a run heavy offense myself. Though am hoping for a bigger commitment to the run. Or at the very least, somehow making significant changes to make the run game much more effective. Romo will be better with a better running game.
  8. Doomsday101

75,078 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    Actually they lead the league in passing the year they went to the SB
  9. nalam

nalam The realist Zone Supporter

1,292 Messages
    52 Likes Received
    Championship teams run when they have to , especially for protecting lead , take time of the clock, or pick up the short yardge, etc...

If We can't always run and pick up those hard short yardage , we can never be a championship team.
  10. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,130 Messages
    751 Likes Received
    Those numbers are skewed a little IMO. The teams running the pistol/zone read, etc have running QB's. That makes a huge difference in the stats.
  11. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

10,226 Messages
    3,049 Likes Received
    Agree; however, Baltimore was ranked 11th in rushing but only 15th in passing. If you take out the rushing yards by QBs, then Baltimore probably ranked even higher in rushing.
  12. Doomsday101

75,078 Messages
    1,620 Likes Received
    Does not change the fact that they get production running the ball. How you go about getting a running game is not the issue. If Safety have to cheat up if LB are biting then it helps open things up down field that is the point of a solid rushing attack.
  13. BAZ

BAZ Drunken Mick

2,380 Messages
    253 Likes Received
    This is being made into a bigger deal than it actually is becuase of the way JJ let things go down (as always), if BC is not sucessful by week three/four Garrett will pull the plug. His job will already be on the line by that point so Jerry can hardly bully him into not changing. It's not like Jason will have no say. I really like the offseason reshuffle.
  14. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,960 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    I know the running game will be a bigger factor in the play calling...
  15. Sarge

Sarge Red, White and Brew... Staff Member

20,627 Messages
    1,435 Likes Received
    If you have no running game whatsoever (and we don't) - then defenses do not have to worry about the run, thus making your passing game less effective.

Does running win championships any longer? Perhaps not, but if you have no running game whatsoever, your not going to get there, most likely. There has to be at least some semblance of a threat at running the ball.

16. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,092 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    we will be seeing with BC:

1. QBs are going to take longer time in the huddle to call plays because of their verbosity.
    2. Players are going to be thinking more, instead of reacting, on the field.
    3. Players are not going to end up liking him, or his philosophy, in the long run.
    4. We will be seeing similar, if not exactly, these sentiments on media reports immediately when, not if, he gets fired.
  17. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great bass players Staff Member

35,453 Messages
    2,797 Likes Received
    Ask the front seven and the DL coach and DC if stopping the run is important to them. Most of what you ask them to do is stop and contain the run and put pressure on the QB.

If you stop the run then your pass coverage is easier esp when you add in the fact the DL is pinning their ears back and coming after the QB.

You've got to run effectively and esp so when you need to. You'll score more points with the pass but you'll pass much better if you can run the ball.
  18. Avenging Hayseed

Avenging Hayseed Interwebs fooseball expert

2,262 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    As Ive said forever.....Why on Earth would anyone in theyre right mind want to go into a fight with one hand tied behind theyre back ? Thats exactly what not having a running game is like.

The run is kinda like the jab. You use it to control your opponent,...keep him at bay,...tap tap tap tap...

The pass is like a big overhand right!

And the playaction? Thats like the big uppercut that comes from out of the blue to knock the sucker out! Cant do any of that without a running game.

Having said all that,...I dont want or expect us to be the 67 Packers. But I do want us to have the ability to run when we CHOOSE to and be proficient at it.
  19. Avenging Hayseed

Avenging Hayseed Interwebs fooseball expert

2,262 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    We have to have the ability to play situational football.. To run late in games when we have the lead, burn clock. Detroit game 2 years ago ring a bell?

If we can do these things then I firmly believe the sky is the limit for this CURRENT team. If not we will simply languish in mediocrity. Simple as that.
  20. coogrfan

coogrfan Well-Known Member

1,412 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    In 2012 six of the eight division winners finished in the top half of the league in rushing yds; 7 of 8 were in the top half for rushing atts.

Wash - 1st (3rd in atts)
    San Fran - 4th (7th)
    NE - 7th (2nd)
    Hou - 8th (4th)
    Balt - 11th (12th)
    Den - 16th (9th)
    GB - 20th (16th)
    Atl - 29th (27th)

Keeping opposing defenses off balance remains as important now as it has ever been.