1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Report: Cowboys among six NFL teams that attended A&M's final home game to watch Manziel

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Nov 12, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

32,693 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    According to NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt, the final game at Kyle Field before renovation was not only memorable for Texas A&M fans but for NFL scouts as well.

Brandt reports that six NFL teams had scouts in attendance Saturday to watch quarterback Johnny Manziel and the Aggies take down Mississippi State 51-41. Brandt said that the Dolphins, Cowboys, Bears, Jaguars, Saints and Bills were all in attendance.

On a day in which Manziel accounted for 493 total yards and five touchdowns, Brandt compared the reigning Heisman Trophy winner to former Vikings quarterback Fran Tarkenton.

Continue reading...
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2013
    cowboyschmps3 likes this.
  2. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,439 Messages
    1,042 Likes Received
    We were probably. There scouting Evans the WR. ;)
  3. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

10,009 Messages
    1,148 Likes Received
    Nah, we're looking to take the Aggies 2nd string TE in the second round.
  4. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

10,009 Messages
    1,148 Likes Received
    I would love to snag Johnny Manziel in the draft. But damn, I just don't see how that would be possible.
  5. Kristen82

Kristen82 Benched

965 Messages
    221 Likes Received
    I thought BUF was high on Manuel and MIA high on Tannehill. And would CHI's vet players be happy going with a rookie QB after Cutler leaves? They're on the cusp of being perennial contenders with that D and they might perceive going with a rookie QB a step back.
  6. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,610 Messages
    492 Likes Received
    Ya know, Tebow was a really good college QB too,,,, just sayin.
    lostar2009 likes this.
  7. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,848 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    I would hope they are also scouting WR Evans. He will be a good one. If some team were to offer a 1st and a 3rd for Dez before the draft, I'd be tempted to take it and draft a WR. The 2014 draft is deep in WR IMO.

Trade Dez and give me the extra picks (1st and 3rd) and I will gladly take both QB Manziel and LSU WR Landry or Beckham or Heath. Or without a Dez trade, just give me Manziel in the 1st and I'll gladly take my chances with Manziel throwing to Dez and Williams. I guarantee Manziel will not be afraid to throw it up there and give Dez a chance to make a play. No more of this two attempts in a game for Dez. And Manziel will give me that added dimension of scrambling.
  8. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,848 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    Cutler's backup McCown is playing pretty well, almost as well as Cutler. Cutler will want upwards of $17M/year. I'd roll with McCown and Manziel if I were the Bears. Use the money elsewhere.
  9. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,268 Messages
    76 Likes Received
    Yes sir, I'll take my cousin on the Cowboys all day everyday. The last time I spoke with his dad Odell Sr. he said that they would see how high OJ would be projected in the draft before they made a decision, plus the LSU coaching staff has been talking to OJ about staying his last year, telling him he would get as many balls he wanted thrown his way
  10. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,848 Messages
    742 Likes Received
    Any other year I would say WR Beckham would be a lock for the first round. I still think he would likely go in the 1st. But, this draft class is good, real good, and deep through many positions, especially WR. Jarvis Landry looks to be the better WR to me but I would not mind at all if the Cowboys get Beckham. And you'd get free jerseys and stuff if he is a Cowboy:) and we'd get some inside information here from you.

If I were advising Beckham, I would tell him to go pro. If he stays, he will get a lot of balls thrown his way but from an unknown QB.
  11. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    Anything is in play. Dallas would be remiss to not scout Manziel.
  12. Romonater

Romonater Active Member

169 Messages
    83 Likes Received

Comparing Manziel to Tebow is just a ridiculous counter. Manziel is actually accurate and has pocket presence. Tim Tebow has a ridiculous fanbase and the power of god beside him.
  13. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,610 Messages
    492 Likes Received
    He's also 5' tall and has a weak arm... lol

Tebow has his short-comings that didn't hurt him in college, just like Johnny football, that's the obvious (to most people) comparison.
  14. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,786 Messages
    644 Likes Received
    I think Manziel is too much of risk to trade up for. He would have to drop.
  15. jimmy40

jimmy40 Well-Known Member

15,206 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    oh he will.
  16. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,558 Messages
    1,815 Likes Received
    I don't get how comparing the two is ridiculous. Great college players with limited NFL upside. Manziel plays in a spread offense that makes his passing abilities look a lot better than they actually are. Plus, he has Evans making plays all over the field for him.

He was just 16/41 against LSU...
  17. Aggie87

Aggie87 Member

164 Messages
    22 Likes Received
    That was his first actual bad game of the season. There's no way you can blame the Alabama or Auburn losses on Manziel - they were on the Aggie defense, which is absolutely terrible this year.

And last year he won the Heisman. So I think he's more than shown he's got some upside.

Are there any pro quarterbacks that haven't had one bad game this season?
    tantrix1969 likes this.
  18. tantrix1969

tantrix1969 Well-Known Member

960 Messages
    447 Likes Received
    Yep, it just shows that like the Cowboys,A&M has no chance if their qb has an off game