1. CowboysZone Upgrade Coming Soon! For more information, click here.

News: DMN: Rob Ryan explains why defense couldn’t generate pressure against Seattle

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Sep 21, 2012.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Everything is everything... Staff Member

69,216 Messages
    9,759 Likes Received
    By Rainer Sabin / Reporter
    rsabin@dallasnews.com
    2:49 pm on September 21, 2012 | Permalink

IRVING — Less than 48 hours remain until the Cowboys face Tampa Bay. But no one has quite forgotten about Dallas’ 27-7 loss to Seattle last Sunday.

That includes Rob Ryan.

The loquacious Dallas defensive coordinator spent part of Friday explaining to reporters why the Cowboys sacked rookie quarterback Russell Wilson only twice and seemed incapable of stopping Seattle’s offense during the second half when the Seahawks gained 197 yards, controlled the ball, and rammed the defense repeatedly with tailback Marshawn Lynch.

“We went into the game thinking they would try to run the ball 40 or 50 times,” Ryan explained. “They ran it 41 times at us. But we’ve got to stop it, so we can get it into situations where they’re playing more our style. But until we do that, you know, that was their game plan, they had a big lead and it was easy for them to execute.”

Read more: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...uldnt-generate-pressure-against-seattle.html/
  2. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,438 Messages
    622 Likes Received
    Yay !!!

More excuses.

Rob Ryan, "We expected them to run the ball between 40 and 50 times. They ran it 41 times." .... and we still couldn't freaking stop them.
  3. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

5,072 Messages
    1,549 Likes Received
    This actually made sense. We were getting gashed and the one time he blitzed, to the other side they ran the other way for 36. It was a coin toss.

The OC did exploit Spenc in coverage though. That's why he and Pete gave each other a high five.
  4. ddh33

ddh33 Active Member

4,934 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    When you are spotted a ten point lead, it's a whole lot easier to call plays and stick with the run. The horrible special teams allowed the Seahawks to play exactly how they wanted and needed to in order to win.

If Dallas comes out and throws ten points on them first thing, the whole dynamic of the game changes, and we are probably bragging about sacking the rookie four or five times.
  5. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

5,182 Messages
    2,385 Likes Received
    Pretty much. I don't think the defense was bad at all. The offense never came back from an early 10-point deficit the special teams put us in. It really wouldn't have mattered how the defense played. We wouldn't have won either way.

We had 55 minutes to score 10 points and we never did.
  6. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,490 Messages
    617 Likes Received
    Seattle knew our pass rush would crush Wilson if they threw more... Smart game plan to pound the ball.
  7. JoeyBoy718

5,182 Messages
    2,385 Likes Received
    Our special teams allowed them to play exactly how they wanted to play. They have a good secondary and a good running game. They're at their best when they're ahead by 2 scores because then they can run the ball and let their secondary defend a team who passes a lot because they're trying to come from behind. Really the early 10-point deficit set the whole tone for them.
  8. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,523 Messages
    372 Likes Received
    Loquacious? I thought this was the quieter thinner version of Rob Ryan. Now all of the sudden he's loquacious? No wonder we couldnt stop Seattle, Rob Ryan is back as being loquacious. That can't help right? What's next? Romo wearing his baseball cap backwards?
  9. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

13,694 Messages
    1,431 Likes Received
    Special Teams screwed us.
  10. JoeyBoy718

5,182 Messages
    2,385 Likes Received
    Spot Seattle 10 points early and I think they can beat anybody.
  11. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

41,731 Messages
    5,923 Likes Received
    “I know everybody was wanting to kill their quarterback and believe me, I was wanting to hit the kid, too,” Ryan said. “They had a plan that wouldn’t allow us to do it. It was max protect and anytime people are having success running the ball downhill on you, it’s hard to do anything else until you get that run stopped. We didn’t do a good enough job.”

Exactly what many of us have said. And we've had some spirited debate on this board in the past about the importance of running the ball and stopping the run. If a team is running over you then you must stop it or you're likely going to lose that game.
  12. JoeyBoy718

5,182 Messages
    2,385 Likes Received
    I'm not saying we don't need to improve at stopping the run, but our offense's tendency to start games off slow allows other teams to run the ball more. A team with a rookie QB and a beast RB wants to run the ball, and by us starting off slow we allow them to play the way they want to play. We really only had one good offensive half of football this season--the second half of the Giants game. And we had 3 good defensive halves of football--all but the second half of the Seahawks game. Bottom line: we need to start off strong.
  13. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

848 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    .... like Seattle's Defense did to us....
  14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

8,716 Messages
    3,007 Likes Received
    that is a crock

we were down 10-7

are you telling me the whole game plan could not be executed becasue we were down 3 points?

i am having serious second thoughts about rob ryans abilities as a DC
  15. visionary

8,716 Messages
    3,007 Likes Received
    :enough:

hmmmm..... are you telling me that OL and front 7 are important?

pretty sure many of this board believe defenses should be built from the secondary, perhaps they can solve this riddle?
  16. visionary

8,716 Messages
    3,007 Likes Received

hmmm.... why couldnt our offense come up with a similar plan?

you know, one that would not allow their defense to harrass our QB?
  17. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

34,524 Messages
    4,660 Likes Received
    They are important.

The defense was taking injury after injury during the second half which contributed to their uneven performance.
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

34,524 Messages
    4,660 Likes Received
    Some of that has to be pinned on Garrett and Romo.

This offense doesn't like to "dink & dunk" down the field. It's all about the big play, which means holding the ball a long time and trying to make the hard completion as opposed to what Seattle was doing by taking what the defense was giving.

The Seahawks were patient and stuck to the run, mixing in timely and controlled passes.

The Cowboys weren't.
  19. CoCo

CoCo Well-Known Member

5,603 Messages
    186 Likes Received
    Hmmm. My observation is that the "many" you refer to simply don't regard the secondary as unimportant like those who have trumpeted the trenches as the exclusive answer. It's called a balanced approach.

Just because someone disagrees that it is ONLY about the D-line, doesn't mean they believe it to be unimportant. But I do get that is how the game is played here.
  20. punchnjudy

punchnjudy Well-Known Member

1,405 Messages
    240 Likes Received
    I think it's a combination of JG having a lot of faith in Romo's big play ability and little faith in the OL.

In general, the weaker the OL the more likely you are to have negative plays, which makes it more difficult to effectively run a methodical, take a few yards at a time offense.