1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Rob Ryan: Terence Newman could play press coverage if 'his life was on the line'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Dec 30, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,391 Messages
    4,352 Likes Received
    ByJon Machota / Special Contributor

jonmachota32@yahoo.com | Bio

3:13 PM on Fri., Dec. 30, 2011 | Permalink
    IRVING -- Cowboys cornerback Terence Newman has been criticized for the large amount of cushion he's been giving opposing receivers this season.

However, when asked about the starting defensive back rarely playing press coverage, Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan said Newman could execute it, if needed.

"A lot of times it's a team game," Ryan said. "Sometimes we're playing off or a certain coverage. If they're man, he can go down there and press him. Sometimes he can go down there and press them and we'll play [cover] 2 behind him. There's a lot of different things with us. I know if he had to cover somebody and his life was on the line and it was a man coverage thing, I'm sure Terence would be down there pressing."

Does Ryan want him pressing more?

Read Ryan's response: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/12/rob-ryan-terence-newman-could.html
  2. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

4,851 Messages
    516 Likes Received
    That's some frackle nackle bull!!! So my understanding of this statement is: football is not TNew's life. Well, that explains everything. What in the heck was I thinking. Too high of an expectation for a guy whose job is no where near a top priority in life. I can rest easy on Sunday night.
  3. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,066 Messages
    2,487 Likes Received
    Sounds like scheme issues.

He plays better press. Let him play, Rob. No handcuffs.
  4. Mansta54

Mansta54 Well-Known Member

9,645 Messages
    140 Likes Received
    I think TNews confidence is shot and he's afraid of getting beat. Jenkins in a interview earlier in the year stated that it was the CB's choice to play off the reciever or press him, TNew chooses to play off. The guy has no confidence. Scared and no confidence, is bad news for a CB..
  5. juck

juck Well-Known Member

9,126 Messages
    80 Likes Received
    Newman would be a great FS.
  6. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,924 Messages
    1,307 Likes Received
    This. I don't know what happened after his first 5 or so games to make that change, but he's lost any edge he had.
  7. Canadian BoyzFan

Canadian BoyzFan Active Member

3,315 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    I like my FS to be able to catch a ball.
    No thanks.
  8. JohnsKey19

JohnsKey19 Well-Known Member

6,132 Messages
    249 Likes Received
    His confidence is absolutely shot. I thought maybe he was hiding an injury early on. But it appears he has lost some of his physical skills leading to a lack of confidence in his ability to cover.
  9. Hostile

Hostile Peace Zone Supporter

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    Wow, is it just me or that title kind of sensationalistic?
  10. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,457 Messages
    141 Likes Received
    Well Jenkins and Scandrick have both been playing pretty far off the last few weeks as well.

So I hope they can press "if their life depends on it" as well.

It has to be a scheme thing, I watch a lot of football, and it's not uncommon to see CB's play off the WR. It IS uncommon to see them do it on a regular basis which is what both of our starters do. Newman plays a little bit further than Jenkins( probably 9 yards off for Newman and 7 for Jenkins). A lot of times Jenkins starts out up close and backs off before the snap.
  11. nalam

nalam The realist Zone Supporter

1,347 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    It is sensationalising normal news :(

It is not rocket science to see Newman playing so far off the guy not to give up big plays and still get beat. Either he is not very confident on his speed (undisclosed injury?) or just passing time to milk the last few Mills from Jerry.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,822 Messages
    7,198 Likes Received
    I've always preferred off coverage with an active front seven. It allows the DBs to get their eyes into the backfield and break on throws from harrassed QBs.

Obviously the problem is our front seven isn't that disruptive.
  13. Don Corleone

Don Corleone Well-Known Member

4,314 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    If he's milking it, then he should be benched immediately. I would lose respect for Garrett if he let players get away with that kind of stuff.
  14. Hostile

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    I don't mind off coverage, but I hate it when it is 3rd and short. I want tight man, jam at the LOS.
  15. Hostile

118,492 Messages
    1,756 Likes Received
    I'm talking about the fact that nowhere in what Rob Ryan said is there any hint of a comment that he could play press coverage if his life depended on it.

Unless I miss it completely.
  16. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,463 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    maybe but he cannot get off a block to save his life. He would suck the big one vs the run....lol
  17. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,731 Messages
    180 Likes Received
    Totally agree. It's almost a shot at Newman from what I read.

I think Rob Ryan is trying to fire up an old corner that he knows probably won't be here next year.

A corner who also knows he won't be here next year.

A corner that has not been agressive enough in recent games. Not as aggressive as Rob needs him to be for this game.

So he's saying it in a way through the media that might have Newman play with a chip on his shoulder. As he should for this game.

Rob Ryan is clearly expecting this defense and more specifically the secondary to challenge and play with more intensity.

Although I usually don't like the method of calling people out through the media, I like the way Ryan is doing it here.
  18. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    I feel sorry for Rob - having to coach this loser has got to be tough. You've got a prima donna CB who thinks he is elite and is making elite money but plays scared. He is done - once you have fear as a CB you are a goner.
  19. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,635 Messages
    564 Likes Received
    So does the head coach Numbnuts Garrett lack the brains or cajones to go tell Ryan to have Newman to play closer than 9 yards away on 3rd and short? Or is Terri Newman out there doing whatever he pleases no matter what Garrett and/or Ryan say?

Either way, it doesn't sound good for the head coach. Either the strategy is flawed (and the head coach is too stupid to realize it) or the head coach lacks authority.
  20. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

49,388 Messages
    3,677 Likes Received
    :facepalm:

Good grief.