1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Audio: DMN: Sanders: If 'Boys take Newton, they're insinuating that Romo will be done(audio)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 2, 2011.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,658 Messages
    6,398 Likes Received
    Deion Sanders: If Cowboys take Cam Newton, they're insinuating that Tony Romo will soon be done

By SportsDayDFW.com
    Published 01 March 2011 09:39 PM

Related items

Former Dallas Cowboys cornerback and Hall-of-Famer Deion Sanders was interviewed on KESN-FM on Friday to discuss the draft and possibly drafting Cam Newton. Here are some highlights:

What do you make of Cam Newton throwing at the combine when no other quarterback did?
    Great. I love it because he has to; his last game was horrendous. He didn’t play well in the championship game. I mean, trust me; I was really anticipating what I heard because I never really watched college football. So, to see him play, I was anticipating the statistics that I saw throughout the league and the year. And I didn’t see it; I saw nervousness in the pocket and anxiety and rushing throws. It wasn’t no poise. So he has to. He has to go through all the drills to prove himself.

What if every scout for the Cowboys believes that when Romo is done that Newton will be far and away the best quarterback in the NFL?
    If you take Cam now, you’re insinuating that Romo is going to be done really soon. And Romo is going to be thinking, “Man, this guy is right behind me.” Then, he’ll start pressing and trying to make something happen instead of allowing them to happen. That’s not a good pick, for me.

Read more: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...inuating-that-tony-romo-will-soon-be-done.ece

To listen to the interview, click here.
  2. Chuck 54

Chuck 54 Well-Known Member

9,367 Messages
    320 Likes Received
    stupid response by the media....what it means is they think Cam is a franchise QB and they won't get another chance to pull the trigger on one.

Cam could immediately upgrade and completely open up new possibilities with the Wild Cat all over the field, especially in the Red Zone.

He could take 2-3 years to learn and develop while getting on the field...it also improves the overall depth...improves the scout team's performance for helping the defense.

It could say that maybe Romo's shoulder isn't healing as well as expected and that he could easily have future injury problems with it.

That's all assuming they end up really thinking Cam is a bonafide franchise QB with value....let's not forget what we might get for him later...remember using a #1 on Walsh, but then getting a 1,2,3 for him? And what if Cam did develop in two years and was ready to be a super star, imagine what you could get for Romo as a proven starter who still has some tread left on him.

But we're a long way from those ideas...we don't even know what the Cowboys really think of Cam Newton, and the eval. process is certainly not finished...so it could just be a matter of setting ourselves up with a trade partner in case one of the guys we really want isn't there at #9, but Cam is....or we hope he'll go ahead of us to allow another guy to drop.

It's wide open, baby.

Trust the guys playing the "game" and believe nothing that is said or written.
  3. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Of course if the Cowboys take Newton int will insinuate Romo is done - maybe not this year, but soon.

But the key word is IF, and I don't think the Cowboys are sersiously thinking about taking Newton.
  4. ThreeSportStar80

ThreeSportStar80 Benched

27,093 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I doubt they take him...
  5. alohawg

alohawg Active Member

1,242 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    No other QB threw at the combine??? WHAT??? Does he mean only Gabby didn't throw? How stupid. Mallett put on a show throwing the ball.:bang2:
  6. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Romo is reportedly throwing just fine and with velocity--at least according to the team and the media. We should also remember we are talking about his injuried left shoulder--which we all know isn't his throwing shoulder.

And by the way, what happens if Newman isn't the greatest thing since slice bread. I seem to remember some on this board wanted Brady Quinn & we all knew how great he played for the Browns, etc.
  7. hammer1

hammer1 New Member

684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree. There's no way in hell Jerry's gonna pay the $millions Newton will command and have him sitting on the bench. He's not gonna wear the star.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,122 Messages
    6,932 Likes Received
    The Cowboys aren't drafting Cam Newton. If he's there, he's trade bait. If they want to develop a backup plan for Romo, they'll go the Kevin-Kolb route and take a second or third rounder. But they won't do even that this year.
  9. Iago33

Iago33 Well-Known Member

1,451 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    I certainly don't mind other teams taking the bait that he Cowboys might consider actually taking Cam. That only helps us in the draft. That's why I don't mind these articles too much, silly as they are. The problem is that I don't think other teams are as ignorant as the media seems to be about the possibility the Cowboys may actually take a quarterback that high.
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,122 Messages
    6,932 Likes Received
    Sometimes, you wonder if the teams don't release these rumors more to get their fans debating and to build emotion around the draft than to trick actual teams. Either way, it's fun to talk about.
  11. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,364 Messages
    629 Likes Received
    I think there's a fair likelihood Jerry's comments were intended to cause the Redskins or some other lower-drafting team to trade up (possibly to Dallas' spot or higher) to get Newton in the event he slides. The more QBs that go early, the better the chances for Dallas to get what it needs the most. (OL, CB, safety, DE, etc.) Whether they're dumb enough to actually take the bait or not is yet another question.