1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Audio: DMN: Schlereth: Cowboys need to call more run plays to take pressure off Romo.w/audio

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Aug 27, 2010.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,130 Messages
    6,913 Likes Received
    12:43 AM CDT on Friday, August 27, 2010

[SIZE=-1]SportsDayDFW.com[/SIZE]

ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth chatted on KESN-FM on Wednesday and discussed the Cowboys, their offensive line and Tony Romo. Here are some highlights:

Do the Dallas Cowboys have a good enough offensive line to protect Tony Romo and give him time to throw the ball?
    Well, that’s an interesting question. They are good enough but that comes down, for me, to their offensive coordinator. Are you going to mix in the run? First off, their offensive line is the biggest offensive line in captivity. I mean, they’re gigantic and sometimes we get so enamored with the guys outside and the guy you have playing quarterback that you don’t protect him. Part of protection is understanding how to run the ball, understanding how to set yourself up so you’re not in ‘3rd down and 12’ all the time and especially early.

To listen to the interview, click here.
  2. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    I heard schlereth on the radio the week camp started and he said romo gets the worst protection of any of the above average quarterbacks.

That is interesting.,
  3. theogt

theogt Surrealist Zone Supporter

44,033 Messages
    1,138 Likes Received
    I was reading the headline and thought, "Well that's stupid..." then looked and saw it was coming from Schlereth. Confirmed.
  4. brucekr

brucekr Active Member

357 Messages
    25 Likes Received
    I like Schlereth. But it does seem like we are in 3rd and long way too much.
  5. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Well if Romo isn't getting best protection he should & our running game doesn't produce like it should inside the red zone, what in the heck does our OL which is so big, etc. actually do right?
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Did you read the article?
  7. theogt

44,033 Messages
    1,138 Likes Received
    Just now. Confirmed again.
  8. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,442 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    What does Schlereth know? He's only played offensive line at the highest level and won multiple Super Bowls. Idiot.
  9. hammer1

hammer1 New Member

684 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    "Cowboys need to call more run plays to take pressure off Romo."

Just how much pressure in on Romo...IN THE PRE-SEASON?
  10. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    I've heard him saying this same thing both on 103.3 and the national ESPN.

He's right. Running the ball more would only help Romo.

BTW, Nate Newton has been screaming the same thing.
  11. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,442 Messages
    1,123 Likes Received
    What do they know? They only played the position at the highest level of the game and have multiple Super Bowl rings. Idiots.
  12. theogt

44,033 Messages
    1,138 Likes Received
    Let's get something straight. Running the ball will (1) give fewer opportunities to have your QB under pressure and (2) have the opposing defense prepare for runs, rather than pinning their ears back for the passrush. That's a no-brainer. The dumb part is -- that alone, isn't necessarily going to help Romo or the team.

Let's put it in real terms -- if we rushed 8 out of 10 plays, on those 2 pass plays, Romo's going to probably do better on average than if we had passed 8 of 10 plays. That's obvious. What's dumb is assuming that rushing 8 plays vs. 2 plays is going to "help" Romo or the team. On average, pass plays gain more yardage than rushes. It's almost unheard of to have 60-40 rush-to-pass ratio being more productive than a 40-60 rush-to-pass ratio.
  13. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Was Schlereth saying that alone will solve the problem, or that it will help the problem? And is he saying anything about something as drastic as a 8/2 run/pass ratio, or is he just saying that we could use the run more effectively to help Romo?

Frankly I think Garrett does get a little obsessed with the pass, and at times runs seem to be just token plays. Sometimes I don't know that Garrett really understands that in order to have a truly effective running game you have to commit to it and continue to make it a big part of the game plan even in games where it isn't particularly effective early on.
  14. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,113 Messages
    44 Likes Received
    :bang2:it's a team game! you run to set up the pass and pass so you can run better--you scheme to beat particular defenses and mix up calls and blocking schemes --- takes coaches and linemen and skill players being prepared and smart and physically ready--blah blah blah--what the experts say is usually nothing
  15. baj1dallas

baj1dallas New Member

6,556 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    yeah I don't see how this is "dumb". The running game wasn't very good last season. If the Cowboys can run for more yardage on 1st and 2nd down, they should convert more 3rd downs. That hardly seems dumb to me.
  16. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I agree. In games I think Garrett loses site of this if we don't have immediate success with the run. Sometimes later he tries to go back and establish the run, but it can't just be a token thing or a start and stop thing, it has to be a consistant ingredient in the game plan.
  17. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,040 Messages
    145 Likes Received
    Run better? Good! Run more often? Not always good....

Obviously there is a perception that Garrett is pass happy, but I don't think the overall stats bear that out. He's certainly not in the Andy Reid category.

And the game to game category has all sorts of hidden information. Is your RB playing with an injury? Members of the Oline too? Is the defense selling out to beat a particular aspect? Do you play to your strengths or towards the foes weaknesses? There are a lot of variables that we don't often know.
  18. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    oh speaking of Andy Reid

heres a photo I stubbled on

[IMG]
  19. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,153 Messages
    1,370 Likes Received
    Exactly why Felix needs to start.

Not only does he force the defense to pay attention to him in the running game, he is a blitz buster in the passing game.

A few well executed screens to him, and teams aren't going to keep blitzing... cause all he needs is one well played screen and it can result in a td
  20. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,153 Messages
    1,370 Likes Received
    Is that why Tony Romo broke the cowboys record for passing attempts in a year?