1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

DMN: Several recent Dallas Cowboys decisions indicate organizational myopia

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by jobberone, May 30, 2014.

1. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

37,490 Messages
    3,799 Likes Received
    Several recent Dallas Cowboys decisions indicate organizational myopia
    [IMG]
    By Rainer Sabin
    rsabin@dallasnews.com
    9:00 am on May 30, 2014

Both Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne can commiserate about the 2013 season. It wasn’t a good one for both cornerbacks. Only two players in the entire NFL were burned more than Carr while Claiborne dealt with the professional indignity of losing his starting role as well as the physical hardship that accompanied shoulder, knee, hamstring, head and finger injuries.

The disappointment that has marked the recent pasts of Carr and Claiborne has surprised many outsiders. Carr, after all, was signed to a five-year $50.1 million deal in 2012. Claiborne was drafted sixth overall that same year after the Cowboys traded up for the rights to choose him. They’re expected to make major contributions. But is it really that shocking that Claiborne and Carr underperformed last season, considering they specialize in man coverage while toiling in a zone-based scheme?

The moves to bring in both players, invest so much in them and then switch defenses less than a year after their acquisitions have to be among the most befuddling the Cowboys have made in recent memory. But it indicates that Dallas operated at the time with a short-term outlook – A sort of myopia that really has sent this franchise into the 8-8 rut from which they have yet to escape.

Organizational decisions aren’t made in a vacuum. There are so many factors to consider when structuring the roster, choosing players and picking what systems to run. In 2013, the Cowboys hedged their bets on quarterback Tony Romo and linebacker Sean Lee, electing to shape the offenses and defenses around both players.

They gave both Romo and Lee contract extensions totaling $150 million. But there was serious risk involved in both deals. Romo was about to be 33 and inextricably linked to Jason Garrett, a head coach that had yet to prove he is a winner and now stands on shaky ground because of his lack of success.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...ecisions-indicate-organizational-myopia.html/
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,453 Messages
    6,142 Likes Received
    I think Rainer misunderstands the intended design of the new defense, as well as the reasons the CBs struggled so much last season.
  3. iceberg

iceberg detoxed Zone Supporter

28,201 Messages
    1,262 Likes Received
    Fishing
    casmith07 likes this.
  4. theSHOW

theSHOW Well-Known Member

3,211 Messages
    1,038 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    Our Leader
  5. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,444 Messages
    2,059 Likes Received
    I agree
    Random message board apologist understands defense better than a reporter whose job it is to write about and cover an NFL team
  6. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    Just about the whole world new this scheme was a horrible fit for our corners.

Let's just ignore the fact that we traded up into the top 10 to get one and paid 50M for the other... But no, this reporter doesn't get it
    BigStar, ufcrules1, jnday and 6 others like this.
  7. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,741 Messages
    5,148 Likes Received
    From all the stupid moves the last decade this one really takes the cake. For them to invest all of that money and picks into two corners and then strip them of their biggest strength was one of the most asinine things I've ever seen a franchise do in the NFL. This franchise does a terrible job of putting their players in a position to succeed. Instead, they'd rather stay stubborn and force the players to adjust to their system.....you see the same thing with Romo on offense and how they use Dez.

If you don't believe us or the reporter, than just listen to the players. Both Carr and Claiborne have expressed frustration with their roles last year and are on the record saying their excited this year they will be allowed to do more of "what they do best". Carr has a video on DC.com where he expresses this and I've seen quotes from Claiborne as well within the last month.
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
    BigStar, ufcrules1 and dwight like this.
  8. GloryDaysRBack

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    What exactly about this defense is going to change?

It's not like rod runs a different d. It's the same scheme
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  9. visionary

7,444 Messages
    2,059 Likes Received
    Disagree

These were horrible moves but they don't hold a candle to trading for Roy Williams (a guy who was going to be an URFA a few months later ) and then paying him a boatload of money despite minimal performance
  10. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,889 Messages
    4,239 Likes Received
    By this logic does it mean that our coaches understands more about Defense than our random message board negative nancy?

Just wanted to clarify.
    jjktkk, Airbag, Erik_H and 8 others like this.
  11. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,741 Messages
    5,148 Likes Received
    That was just a trade that didn't work out.

On the other hand, this was a team investing a 1st and 2nd round pick and $50 million dollars into 2 players. Then essentially neutralizing their talents by switching to a scheme that does not highlight their greatest strengths. This is like the Broncos backing up the Brinks truck for Manning and then telling him he can no longer make audibles at the line. Or bringing in RW and Who does this? Who ties their own players hands behind their backs like this? Only the Cowboys...I never understood the Claiborne pick, to compound that with the switch to the Tampa 2 which would force him to tackle more (his weakness) and get him out of man-to-man is mind boggling to me.
    Last edited: May 30, 2014
    ufcrules1, visionary and guag like this.
  12. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,621 Messages
    1,487 Likes Received
    I think he makes a few good points.

The biggest puzzler of the past couple of years in they decided to bring in Monty Kiffin -- a DC that nobody else in the NFL wanted anymore, implement the Kiffin 4-3 despite very heavy recent investments in man-to-man CBs in Carr and Claiborne.

What drove that decision? Why did anybody think it was a good idea? I get that there are some here on CZ who prefer the 4-3, however, there are plenty of good teams running both the 4-3 and 3-4 today. I'm not convinced it makes a big difference.

There just doesn't seem to be a long term vision for building the club. It's like every year they sit down and start over.
    SWG9, ufcrules1, Carharris2 and 2 others like this.
  13. visionary

7,444 Messages
    2,059 Likes Received
    I know you are trying to distract so I understand the context of your comment

The reality is that it is the job of reporters to REPORT and give their opinion and he is doing that. Trying to blame the messenger because it does not flow with the narrative of the poster is not surprising given the poster

The job of the coaches is to WIN GAMES
    8-8
    8-8
    8-8

Not a lot of cause for comfort and faith
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  14. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    The coaches understand more.

But the coaches have certain schemes that they run, and they came into a situation with the team having recently sunk a ton into their CBs. They try the best they can to fit those players to their scheme, but the scheme is why they were hired in the first place, and it's what they know. The coach isn't going to change schemes altogether. If the players don't fit the scheme and you can't replace them with players that do because of what you have invested in them, the the coach doesn't have much choice.
    punchnjudy and austin88 like this.
  15. Idgit

30,453 Messages
    6,142 Likes Received
    We we're reportedly running the press/man coverage favored in SEA, until injuries to our CBs left us short on man coverage corners and a lack of pressure from the depleted DL had us switch back to zone on the back end. We'll see what happens this year, but I believe that was the intention, rather than putting our CBs in a scheme that doesn't fit them, which obviously makes no sense. Rainer's suggesting what we wanted was the outdated Tampa 2 from a decade ago, so, yeah, I think he's off.
    bkight13, scooper and speedkilz88 like this.
  16. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Where was this reported?
  17. GloryDaysRBack

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    Scandrick and Carr were starting last year... both are man corners.

Whether we want to admit it or not, the plan was to play zone from the outset. And that was a terrible idea.

Just look at game one last year - we played a ton of zone
    ufcrules1 and Carharris2 like this.
  18. Idgit

30,453 Messages
    6,142 Likes Received
    Typical. Might want to review what I've actually said the last two years about our defense before suggesting I'm apologizing for anything. Or not. Either way, the defense has been a disaster.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't expect Rainer to know what he's talking about.
    Kaiser likes this.
  19. GloryDaysRBack

9,331 Messages
    744 Likes Received
    After the whole world laughed at us for going w kiffin as our dcoord. Rumors started to swirl that wed run a D similar to Seattle. .. Once the games began to play, we started off playing what everyone had feared... the old tampa two
    ufcrules1 and Carharris2 like this.
  20. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Oh, so before the season began... But we were gonna run the SEA defense guys, swearsies.