1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: DMN: Sherrington: No kidding: Cowboys defense looks Super-Bowl worthy

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Sep 22, 2013.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

30,911 Messages
    293 Likes Received
  2. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Good article.
  3. kramskoi

kramskoi Well-Known Member

1,776 Messages
    321 Likes Received
    This kind of talk should be banned around Dallas until such time as the Cowboys show a level of consistency and excellence that becomes the rule on Sundays and not the exception. Jimmy Johnson was only half correct, fans and the media have as much optimistic infection as the players do at times. This is one of them. Superbowl talk has derailed this team too many times to count.
    PA Cowboy Fan and morasp like this.
  4. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Just want the defense to improve each week, like it has been doing this season.
  5. RXP

RXP Well-Known Member

2,790 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    Very solid effort all round by the defense. Kudos.

But it's just one game. As posted above, we need consistently good effort every single week. Next up San Diego. They may be 1-2, but their offense poses a huge challenge, especially on the road. Big test next week.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,190 Messages
    6,985 Likes Received
    This quote is going to get overlooked, but it's awesome:
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,892 Messages
    4,946 Likes Received
    Week after that is P. Manning.
  8. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,960 Messages
    753 Likes Received
    In week 1, the defense got 6 takeaways...but allowed 17,000 yards and a whole mess of points.
    In weeks 2 and 3, the defense limited points and yards...but only got 1 takeaway.

The truth is almost always somewhere in the middle. They do seem to be improving and getting used to the 4-3, which is exciting. Just remember that they could keep improving the next two weeks and still look worse because of the level of competition they'll be facing.
  9. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,099 Messages
    1,338 Likes Received
    It amuses me that there are still posters who think that what fans post on a message board has some sort of influence on how the team plays...

The name of the game isn't just turnovers, one of the biggest thing the Cowboys did against the Rams was limit them to a lot of 3 and outs. The effect is similar in nature to a drive that has a turnover.

It begins with shutting down the run, forcing 2nd and long, and then 3rd and long situations in which we are getting pressure when we send 4. When the offense is effective as it was on Sunday, this helps step one greatly. If you have to pass on 1st down, that probably brings your success rate down to somewhere around 60 percent give or take. That means in two consecutive 1st down situations your odds of getting a complete pass drop to .36 percent. 2nd and 10 isn't a great down and distance to have, especially when you can't run the ball (either because the run is shut down or you don't have the luxury of dedicating to the run).
  10. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,818 Messages
    419 Likes Received
    I think the first sack from the corner blitz by Scandrick set Bradford back on his heels and he never really did recover. It was a brilliant call by Kiffin.
  11. cowboys1981

cowboys1981 Well-Known Member

2,542 Messages
    1,382 Likes Received
    I think that CB blitz will be seen more often. That much speed coming at you can cause a lot of pressure on any QB. Just when teams have both our DE's covered, here comes a DB untouched! Haha! I want to see more of it.
  12. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Once defense can play like they did against the Rams and the Giants combined (the best of both worlds), Cowboys will have a defense that puts fear into other teams.
  13. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

20,061 Messages
    951 Likes Received

:clap:
  14. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Dallas defense has played good and will keep improving each week..
  15. rwalters31

rwalters31 Active Member

485 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    I see you doing analysis work here and it sounds good. I would ask for how you got the numbers. Also, the defense is responding fast and that has been the BIGGEST asset I have seen. KC did a good job of staying within their game on offense but their defense (Poe) just did damage to the our OL. I agree with other posters that the real competition will be coming up, then we will be able to see where the Cowboys DL and OL stand.
  16. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,099 Messages
    1,338 Likes Received
    The numbers were guesstimations. The NFL median average for completion percentage is about 60 percent. I can only conclude that most likely that percentage is highest on first down, so I thought probably anywhere between 60 and 65 percent. I then looked at what the odds you would be able to get a complete pass on two consecutive first downs and to do that you multiply 60 percent by 60 percent, which gives you 36 percent.

It's not an exact figure but an estimate to show the overall point that failing to gain yards on first down significantly impairs your ability to move the chains.
  17. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    Interesting.
  18. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,499 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Phillips Rivers and SanDiego are hot but the real test is next week vs Denver and Peyton Manning.
  19. dallasdave

2,721 Messages
    346 Likes Received
    When the Cowboys limit teams to 7 or less point and have 3 or more turnovers a game, the Cowboys will on their way to a top rated defense.
  20. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    bump...they looked like HOT garbage in SDiego today....complete hot garbage.